Dac Processor Around 1.5K

carlosaudio

Dac Processor Around 1.5K
« on: 14 Jan 2022, 07:14 am »
Hi folks,
I am looking for a dac processor to upgrade my Benchmark dac 1. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Dac Processor Around 1.5K
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2022, 01:23 am »
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2022, 02:27 am »
Welcome to AC!

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2022, 02:29 am »
A friend of mine just bought a lightly used one of these - https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html   Don't believe he has received it just yet.  He currently has a Teac UD-503.  I've heard good things about it but have not heard it as of yet.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2022, 01:36 pm »
Buy a used Chord Qutest or Yggdrasil.  My son owns the Chord and it is fabulous.  It really responds well to a power supply upgrade.  It is also very sensitive to usb cable changes.  Used the Chord goes for $1200-1500.  Detailed, huge sound stage with good air and transparency. 4 filters that subtly change the sound.

I don't own the Yggy but have heard it and love the sound.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2022, 05:42 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC carlosaudio   :thumb:

routlaw

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2022, 06:36 pm »
I would suggest looking at 3 others.

Nuprime DAC 9-SE, has an almost unlimited amount of inputs and outputs $1095

Audiolab M-DAC +, also lots of I/O’s and receives great reviews $1500

Benchmark DAC-3 B, this one is less expensive than the HGC, and is DAC only no pre-amp and just a tad over your budget still worth considering because these are on Stereophiles A+ rating keeping company with other DACs that cost as much as a fine automobile or entire high end system.

The Nuprime is the new kid on the block with no reviews that I can find, but there is discussion on Nuprime Circle about this entirely new redesign.

mr_bill

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2022, 06:57 pm »
Two excellent suggestions from Greyhound

carlosaudio

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2022, 02:38 am »
Thanks all. Just get home from the vacation. I am sorry for the late reply. I just bought a Nad M51 DAC. Then set it up. At the first time I am listening. The bass was gone when I set the volume 00. After read some discussion on Gon; I set it at -1. Everything was fine. I am looking for some good cables ( digital, IC rca, power cord ) to improve the sound. Anyway my system is Sony D700 transport, Nad M51 DAC, tube amplifier Tri with El34 PP, Kef Q750. So any advice for the cables.
Thanks

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2022, 02:59 am »
Welcome to AC, Carlos.

Cables and power cords come in all price ranges. Provide us with a budget, please. "I'm willing to spend a total of $X on new (or used?) cables." This makes it easier for us to offer ideas.

Michael

carlosaudio

« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2022, 12:57 am »

carlosaudio

« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2022, 12:57 am »

carlosaudio

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:01 am »
A friend of mine just bought a lightly used one of these - https://www.rme-usa.com/adi-2-dac.html   Don't believe he has received it just yet.  He currently has a Teac UD-503.  I've heard good things about it but have not heard it as of yet.
Let me know please when you get the review. The manual of it so fun. About 300 pages  :cry:

carlosaudio

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:09 am »
Buy a used Chord Qutest or Yggdrasil.  My son owns the Chord and it is fabulous.  It really responds well to a power supply upgrade.  It is also very sensitive to usb cable changes.  Used the Chord goes for $1200-1500.  Detailed, huge sound stage with good air and transparency. 4 filters that subtly change the sound.

I don't own the Yggy but have heard it and love the sound.
Both of them have the great review. I will keep in mind them for next step. I really like the sound of equipment audio which made in UK. In the past I had Tannoy speakers, Leak TL25 tube amplifier. I still remember the sound of them. Thank you for your advice.

carlosaudio

« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:10 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC carlosaudio   :thumb:
Thanks

carlosaudio

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:12 am »
Two excellent suggestions from Greyhound
Thanks

carlosaudio

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:19 am »
Welcome to AC, Carlos.

Cables and power cords come in all price ranges. Provide us with a budget, please. "I'm willing to spend a total of $X on new (or used?) cables." This makes it easier for us to offer ideas.

Michael
My budget for them about $1000. I know they are very important for the system. I had some experiences with Shunyata in the past. But now they are over my budget. Used cables will save money I know that. Thank you

carlosaudio

« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2022, 01:20 am »
I would suggest looking at 3 others.

Nuprime DAC 9-SE, has an almost unlimited amount of inputs and outputs $1095

Audiolab M-DAC +, also lots of I/O’s and receives great reviews $1500

Benchmark DAC-3 B, this one is less expensive than the HGC, and is DAC only no pre-amp and just a tad over your budget still worth considering because these are on Stereophiles A+ rating keeping company with other DACs that cost as much as a fine automobile or entire high end system.

The Nuprime is the new kid on the block with no reviews that I can find, but there is discussion on Nuprime Circle about this entirely new redesign.
Benchmark DAC-3 B is a good one. Thank you

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2022, 12:55 pm »
Welcome!

After nearly 50 years at this I'm definitely not a "wire guy".  BTW my system retails for around $7500 plus a dedicated/specifically designed room.  Suggest you contact the Cable Company if you want spend that kind of money.  They give advice over the phone and loan out cables from their large library of cables. 

I prefer the common sense route to wires.  Years ago did an at home shoot out of ten 10ft USB cables, ranging from $6 to $300.  Ended up with a $74 cable.  Have bought from Blue Jean Cables and Monoprice. 

Here's a good place for common sense wire advice:  https://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-and-audio-interconnects