Introduction and a question regarding Loreleis

Shamus

Introduction and a question regarding Loreleis
« on: 1 Nov 2021, 06:58 pm »
Greetings all - my name is Shamus and I'm a newcomer to the group from up here in the Pacific NW.  I recently put together a nice little system (Pro-ject 10.1 Evo Carbon, Moon Neo 350P, Audio Research VS115)  and have been really enjoying a set of Symphonic Line Legatos that a true friend loaned me for the past year but alas, he's about to set up another listening environment and has room for them again so will need them back in a few months.

Since a set of Symphonic Lines is out of my price range - I'm planning on ordering a set of Odyssey Lorelei and am wondering if the conventional wisdom is that the 'Kismet' upgrade is a no-brainer?

Any feedback on this choice or others is welcome!

JMW73

Re: Introduction and a question regarding Loreleis
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2021, 09:40 pm »
As Klaus would say... "Synergy!"  I think Kismet Monos would get the most out of those speakers as possible.  He makes sure they are biased for your voltage and speakers... and obviously he is intimately familiar with those speakers.

I saved money by getting Stratos cases.  I know in some instances you can save more and get Khartago cases with the same internals.

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2021, 03:00 am »
A call into Klaus would be your best option.  I recently sold my Lorelei’s with Kismet crossover which I really enjoyed (only sold to fund much more expensive speakers) but can’t compare them to the ‘regular’ Lorelei as I’ve never heard those.

Given the cost difference between the Lorelei and Legatos I say just go for the upgraded crossover and you’ll still have a lot of money in your pocket.

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2021, 04:19 am »
If the upcharge for the upgraded crossover is as reasonable as his other upgrades then go for it.  All these years later after it's introduction in Germany the Lorelei/Legato is still a classic design and a great sounding speaker.  I've owned a pair with the upgraded crossovers for seven years.  I've never had it sound bad with any amp and I've used it with a bunch including a Khartago and a Kismet.

Shamus

« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2021, 04:30 am »
Thanks to you all for the responses!

Good advice on talking to the man himself Ice, and I was thinking the same on the crossovers for sure.  I talked with him this evening and I'll be ordering up a set of Lorelei's with some great recommended upgrades and a custom finish.   The standard Loreleis are just so well regarded, I'm stoked!

He, as expected, was great.  Thanks for taking the time and sharing your knowledge Klaus!

GeneS

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2021, 11:31 am »
Hey, Shamus! Welcome :thumb:
I originally had the Lorelei’s until I traded them back to Klaus for the Kismet Reference monitors. I loved the Lorelei’s and enjoyed every minute with them, but the Kismets are a different level.
If you’re buying Lorelei’s for the first time and you can swing it, I don’t see how you can go wrong with the upgrade. You’ve got good electronics, and the upgrade is bound to get you closer to the sound that you liked from the Symphonics.
Pretty hard to go wrong!

JMW73

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2021, 06:20 pm »
I realize I was talking a about kismet amps, and you were talking about speakers only. I apologize.

Shamus

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2021, 08:22 pm »
Thanks again - and I totally agree on the upgraded crossovers from the Kismet speakers...