Using a silicone stylus cleaner? Beware!

RPM123

Using a silicone stylus cleaner? Beware!
« on: 23 Oct 2021, 04:18 pm »
FYI - I recently spoke with one of the principals of Wally Tools who told me that stylus cleaners made of silicone like the "ZeroDust" or "DS Audio" cleaners leave a built up residue on the stylus. He is working with Michael Fremer on an article about this issue. (Ironically, Fremer has recommended these types cleaners in the past.) He also recommended that I toss mine, which I did. Even Music Direct states that while they use silicone stylus cleaners, they still recommend using a fluid-based stylus cleaner after each record.

toocool4

Re: Using a silicone stylus cleaner? Beware!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2021, 07:54 pm »
I have no intention in ditching my DS Audio ST-50, I like it. I do use 2 methods for cleaning my stylus, after both sides of an LP I use DS Audio ST-50 and after a listening session I use the HiFi Flux wet ultrasonic cleaner.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2021, 08:22 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up.

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2021, 05:17 am »
I always use whatever the Manufacture of the cartridge recommends. I never had any problems.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2021, 11:23 am »
Rather than spend insane amounts for a glob of silicone in a jar I purchased a bag of Sticky Hands toys and use one to dip the stylus in.  The bag cost a couple dollars and my calculations indicate I can clean needles until the year 2387, sometime in March, before I'll run out of Sticky Hands stylus cleaner.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2021, 11:58 am »
Use the AT brush that came with the cartridge. Clean after every side (just a couple of strokes). Clean the record with AQ anti-static carbon fiber brush. No noise, no static, like listening to reel to reel without the hiss............

thomas collins

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2021, 02:18 pm »
I use the brush.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2021, 03:48 pm »
Ortofon and Soundsmith both advise against using wet stylus cleaners on their styli. I'd take their advice.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2021, 04:32 pm »
Ortofon and Soundsmith both advise against using wet stylus cleaners on their styli. I'd take their advice.

Hey Scott, how are things?  I haven't used a liquid cleaner for years because under a microscope I don't see anything beyond dust accumulated on the diamond.  But I assume the admonition is because the alcohol in cleaners attacks the bonding agents.  In several decades of being on audio sites and decades before then I can't recall a single instance of liquid cleaners causing any verified damage to a stylus.  I've read about the possibility of such, but never it actually happening.  Not having any skin in the game on this issue, I'd be interested in who has encountered a problem regarding a stylus damaged by liquid cleaners?

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2021, 06:01 pm »
No need to spend big bux on these ridic rip-off snake oil cleaning products.   :roll:

Get some Blu Tack or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and just dab the stylus up and down onto it a few times before each LP side.  It pulls all debris right off.  When I view my stylus with a digital microscope after doing so it is pristine clean.  Been using this method for years.  A few bux will last you a lifetime.

Recommended by many trusted analog experts, including Mark Baker (Origin Live) and Peter Ledermann (Soundsmith).  Tons of comments / reports about it online.  Do the research.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2021, 06:10 pm »
Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith and Louis Dorio of Ortofon are both emphatic about the damage that can be done with liquid cleaners. They see a lot more damaged styli than any of us on AC. It may only happen to a small percentage of styli but I’ll trust that they know what they’re talking about. As for me personally, I have seen two cartridges in recent years where the stylus tip has come off a bonded shank - one AT 95 and one Ortofon 2M Red. I didn’t think to ask if the owners used liquid cleaners.

Letitroll, I will be at CAF. Will you?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2021, 10:07 am »
I guess I feel the same way, why take a chance?  I did use the Dishwasher stylus brush with the supplied liquid back in the seventies and maybe early eighties, but not since.  I still use that brush dry, a great little tool.  And back in the day there were two types of liquid, one the simple alcohol formulation from Dishwasher and others, as well as one that was a coating for the diamond, much more expensive.  There was great debate about the coating being detrimental as it aged, or that it extended the life of the needle.  I never used it so cannot comment, but I wonder which one those respected experts are referring to.  I've used all the Mr Clean scrubbers, art brushes, stylus brushes, etc and they all work to greater or lesser degrees.  But although I've followed the advice of no liquid, I've yet to see a verified case of any liquid damaging a stylus.

No, I won't be going to CAF this year for several reasons.  Mostly because I now live much further away, I moved to the Laurel Highlands of PA and the two hour jaunt from South Jersey is now four of five hours.  Medical issues and travel plans elsewhere during November also factor in, this old body rebels at too much time away from my own bed.  Hope you guys have a great time.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2021, 01:09 pm »
Dry Ortofon or Discwasher stylus brush.
The last thing I need is to have the diamond come adrift.

djbnh

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2021, 01:21 pm »
Been using the ZeroDust for over 10 years, zero issues. Make sure it's washed / dried periodically. YMMV.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2021, 07:06 pm »
There is various demagnetisation tracks on YT,
it seems Philip Glass music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZN2FEZz4-k
I worked more than 20 years in a IBM data center in all these years just one time the IBM tech came to demagnetize the tape drive heads, he used a device that looked like a black round can with a handle and weighed about 2 kg. The procedure took about 10 minutes on each tape unit, this equipment generated a strong magnetic field, he ordered we dont stay around during the procedure.

I dont know how audiophile brands sells accessories to demagnetize audio equipment that dont made an extreme magnetic field.  :scratch:

RPM123

« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2021, 11:59 pm »
No need to spend big bux on these ridic rip-off snake oil cleaning products.   :roll:

Get some Blu Tack or Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and just dab the stylus up and down onto it a few times before each LP side.  It pulls all debris right off.  When I view my stylus with a digital microscope after doing so it is pristine clean.  Been using this method for years.  A few bux will last you a lifetime.

Recommended by many trusted analog experts, including Mark Baker (Origin Live) and Peter Ledermann (Soundsmith).  Tons of comments / reports about it online.  Do the research.

Good to know...thanks!

JDUBS

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2021, 02:32 am »
I'm pretty surprised to hear this.  These things have been around a LONG time at this point.

Chewbacca

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2021, 02:26 pm »

Blu Tack is the best that I've found as well (per Mr. Ledermanns recommendation). I've found that taking a guitar pick and globing some of the tack on there has proved a wonderful solution. The plastic pick I use is similar to the delrin platter material so it's no issue tossing it on top, then dropping the stylus on there 4 or 5 times. You absolutely can tell it's working because the first time dropping the stylus it doesn't stick to the Tack, because it's pulling off all the grime on the diamond. Then the last two or three drops it picks up the guitar pick just ever so slightly, so you know it's actually pulling on the diamond itself instead of pulling off grime (because there's no grime left). You can hear it too (if you're not muted), because you hardly hear the first two drops, then the last few it has a slight 'pop' as the diamond is slightly sticking to the tack. Haven't wet cleaned yet. I do it a minimum of every other side of albums, if not each. Anti static brush on every side before plays. Record cleaner maybe every 10 plays.

I used the ZeroDust for years. Always scared me I'd pull off the diamond. Even if that wasn't an issue, I like the Blu Tack much more. And costs next to nothing. Have tons of guitar picks abound, and bought a three pack of Blu Tack for $10... probably a few lifetimes worth :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2021, 11:08 pm »
FYI - I recently spoke with one of the principals of Wally Tools who told me that stylus cleaners made of silicone like the "ZeroDust" or "DS Audio" cleaners leave a built up residue on the stylus. He is working with Michael Fremer on an article about this issue. (Ironically, Fremer has recommended these types cleaners in the past.) He also recommended that I toss mine, which I did. Even Music Direct states that while they use silicone stylus cleaners, they still recommend using a fluid-based stylus cleaner after each record.

follow up article …….…….

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/time-put-away-onzow-zerodust?fbclid=IwAR0rkzYLY3ZVaLNmizrCHzVWsVRnB2cWQtYNQpDtSJFeoLdndMEmMw93oIQ

/mp

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2021, 04:17 pm »
c.'90, Linn dealers said Linn recommends using the flint from a book of matches. Anyone here know if this is still their advice?