No Rez installation in X-Statik

dryan01uk

No Rez installation in X-Statik
« on: 23 Oct 2021, 07:30 am »
Another query guys.

I’m at the stage of planning my No-Rez installation in my X-statiks.  The build drawings for the X-voce show the no-Rez locations but the drawings plans for the X-statik don’t.

I assume it only goes on every flat surface  (sides, back, floor and lid) inside the sealed box section of the speaker and I need to leave some space for the drivers.  What about around the internal braces - do I need to trim the no-Rez back to clear the internal brace holes?

Does anyone have a photo of their no Rez install in their X-statins that they can share.  I’m going to install the no Rez before gluing on the front baffle.

Any tips or things to watch out for?  I have a straight edge and lots of sharp blades ready.

Things are edging closer and closer.

David

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: No Rez installation in X-Statik
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm »
Here's a picture of how/where installed the NoRez into my cabinets

Just be sure to leave an inch or so between the Norez and the front baffle

Hope that helps! :thumb:

Chops

« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2021, 01:56 pm »
And here's mine, fitted through the driver openings and bottom plate. Mine are the original AV123 X-Statik's, though I call them GR Research instead.

dryan01uk

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2021, 08:17 pm »
Fantastic!  Thanks Hobbs.  Thanks Chops.

Those photos are incredibly helpful.  I like how you split the cross-over Hobbs.  It’s a very tight fit in the base along with the thread insert blocks I’ve added to allow the base to be demounted.

David

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2021, 04:57 pm »
Well, if space in the cabinet is an issue, you could always mount the crossovers externally.

dobanion

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2021, 01:46 am »
Off the subject a bit....why the felt around the tweeter?

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2021, 04:22 am »
Well, if space in the cabinet is an issue, you could always mount the crossovers externally.

Vince first I have speaker envy and now like I said to Hobbs I have crossover envy. Nice looking setup. :)

How is the tweeter treatment working for your setup? What is it controlling?

Thanks
SC

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2021, 12:46 pm »
Vince first I have speaker envy and now like I said to Hobbs I have crossover envy. Nice looking setup. :)

Thanks
SC

I haven't personally dissected it (aside from fixing the base on one and attaching feet).   I was the lucky recipient of these through The Music Room.   They were originally owned by author and musician Steven Stone.   There's a long thread on here discussing the origin of that no-res on the back of the drivers.   He was also the pioneer of those screw caps.

dryan01uk

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2021, 03:22 am »
Wow.  Great photos Vince - a photo really does tell a story.

I must admit, I like looking at my cross-overs, but am worried about kid's (and adult) sticky fingers - I'm working in the 'out of sight - out of mind' school of thought. I will be fitting speaker grills for exactly the same reason.

They look like foil inductor coils as well    :o  ..... is cross-envy actually a thing - have we uncovered a new disorder affecting lurkers on AC ? 

I've seen Hobbs bean-can photos - crazy entertainment trying to imagine how they sound!   :lol:

D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2021, 03:45 am »

I've seen Hobbs bean-can photos - crazy entertainment trying to imagine how they sound!   :lol:

My Studios go a bit further than these, but Vince's X-statiks are a good step up over mine, for sure.

But knowing how good my X-Statiks and Studios sound, I have no doubts that those sound fantastic too.

This might sound blastphamous, but I would probably put a pair of fully upgraded X-Statiks just over the base level NX-Otica... :wink:
Thats said, a fully upgraded NX-Otica will easily beat out the upgraded X-Statik..

The Oticas Danny has here are a base level kit, and while they do sound good, the few minutes of listening to my X-Statiks in the same room sounded better.
The base level Oticas sound a bit dry by comparison, if that makes sense.

My stock AV123 X-statiks sounded good too, though a but dry and gritty/grainy at times. Post upgrade/rebuild they've really gone to another level and vocals are incredibly spacious and crystal clear.
Really been enjoying them now that there back in my apartment.  :P

Chops

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2021, 04:40 am »

Thanks
SC

Those speakers are as old as mine, both being original AV123. Those particular speakers' crossovers were upgraded by a company called Skiing Ninja. https://audiophilereview.com/affordable-speakers/a-springtime-switcheroo-and-an-x-static-value/

As for the felt around the tweeters, I suppose it's to help minimize or possibly eliminate diffraction. I tried the same felt on mine as well as open-cell foam and closed cell foam, and I didn't care for the sound of any of them. Of course, that's my opinion/taste.

dryan01uk

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2021, 09:23 pm »
I've now finished the internal no-rez installation on the X-statik and X-voce.  I've got to say its incredible stuff.  The difference I hear from my routine cabinet knuckle-rap is remarkable.

I found it very easy to use and easy to cut.   Only downside I have seen, is its a static magnet.  I do all my cutting on a foam sheet to protect worktops etc - the no-rez just 'sucked up' all the loose particles of foam and keeps any sanding dust stuck to the sides of the cabinets.  A good internal vacuum and tacky cloth wipe-down solved all those issues though.

Some 'work in progress' photos.

A great product - thanks Danny.

David