NX-treme wiring approach

NoahH

NX-treme wiring approach
« on: 16 Oct 2021, 07:10 pm »
Hi all,
As I spend time looking at the woofer wirings for the NX-tremes, I realize that I am unsure of the actual physical wiring strategy. Specifically, I mean that I am not sure if I should run a short run from crossover to the lowest woofer, then do daisy-chained short wires from there to the next woofer and so on up (respecting the series woofers of course). Alternatively, should I do 2 runs to the top and bottom clusters, then do a pig-tail to branch out direct leads to each woofer that needs a connection?

What have others done for the actual wiring strategy?

Thanks!

subsonic1050

Re: NX-treme wiring approach
« Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2021, 08:47 pm »
Hi Noah, as you know I just wired mine up last week. I built my crossovers with little pigtails coming from each of the leads and will twist and solder them to the wires going to the drivers. I was looking for a good quality connector but couldn't find a solution I liked so I'm going to just solder them.

As far as the wiring is concerned, look at Rock Ball's build. He has a really nice diagram showing the wiring which is a little easier to follow than the one provided by GR Research. I used a wire stripper to remove small sections of insulation on the long runs and soldered to the drivers already installed in the cabinet (with the terminals tinned before installing drivers). That way there is no break in the wiring from top to bottom. There is plenty of room in the wire management holes to run the wires. I ran the mid drivers and the woofers up the side with the full wing, and I ran the tweeter circuit up the side with the open wing so that no wiring goes past the cutout.

I can take pictures when I get home if that doesn't make sense.

NoahH

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2021, 09:11 pm »
That does help, as does Rock Balls build thread. Cool to hear that one continuous wire can be done!

Also helpful on the crossover connection. A loose twist that can be unsoldered when needed seems like about as good as one can do.

Thanks!

subsonic1050

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2021, 09:40 pm »
No problem- if you look at Danny's video on "Does parts quality matter" or something to that effect, he shows a close up of the nxtreme crossover- and he uses tube connectors to disconnect his crossover- but that's a lot of expense just to make the crossover removable.

e_biz80

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:29 pm »
Does anyone know how much wire of each red and black is needed to wire up a pair of Nx-Treme’s?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2021, 02:22 pm »
Does anyone know how much wire of each red and black is needed to wire up a pair of Nx-Treme’s?

110 feet, 55' red 55' white.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2021, 03:37 pm »
110 feet, 55' red 55' white.
:o Xtreme indeed!