Build a pair of dual subs

LouM5

Build a pair of dual subs
« on: 13 Sep 2021, 04:38 pm »

I am looking to purchase a pair of dual subs form GR and would like someone to build them for me.
If you make the cabinets also that would be fine.
I had the pleasure of auditioning a pair at a members house yesterday.
His system is just magnificent and he was more than willing to answer and educate me.

I am in the Chicagoland area.
 Not opposed to having the finished pair shipped.
Matt black finish. Possible grill covers to match Magnepans.
 I would supply fabric for them.
Please contact me if interested.

Thank you, Lou.

RonP

Re: Build a pair of dual subs
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2021, 04:57 pm »
Hi Lou,

welcome to AC

I had a local carpentry shop build the dual subwoofer cabinet for me from the plans on the GR website. (I only needed 1) It didn't cost much. Mounting the subs in and doing the wiring was pretty straightforward. The wiring diagrams are here in the forums.

It might even be easier if you use the flatpacks. I would imagine they could glue and clamp them together quickly and cheaply once the flatpack was in hand. It's all about the clamps!

HTH

LouM5

« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2021, 05:02 pm »
Hi Ron,
 Yes those clamps.
I can't see spending all that money for a one time assembly.
Thanks for your suggestion about a local shop.
 I'll look into it.
 Lou.

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2021, 05:10 pm »
If you do decide to tackle the flat packs, that's exactly what I did.   Putting the flat packs together was fairly simple (the finish, not so much - mistakes were made).   I did have a professional cabinet maker install the veneer, though.

Here's my build thread:   https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=176852.0

LouM5

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2021, 05:21 pm »
Beautiful Job.
 Can they be built without the extra top piece and are there grills available?

RonP

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2021, 05:26 pm »
Beautiful Job.

In my case, I was needing a single Dual-12 in the center. I had the shop avoid building the "top shelf" so I could lay the unit on it's side. works great!

LouM5

« Reply #6 on: 13 Sep 2021, 05:30 pm »
Thx

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2021, 06:35 pm »
Beautiful Job.

It might not look right without the top piece, and you would still need to engineer your own grills.   You may be better off just grabbing the plans from Danny's website.   I don't believe those plans use the inner/outer cabinet design like the flat packs.

LouM5

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2021, 06:36 pm »
Thx. I'll take a look.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 13 Sep 2021, 06:41 pm »
You might want to consider triples instead of duals. They take up the same floor space, have better performance, and will visually match Maggies better. If you go with duals, be sure and use the 16 ohm drivers. That way if you want to add a 3rd driver down the road it is easy to do.

Here are some pics of a pair of triples I built for a client in Chicago paired with his Martin Logan Summit X speakers.

These are actually taller than triples normally are. This is because the amps have been built into the cabinets under the bottom driver. I'd stick with the amps in separate boxes behind the subs. Much easier to build and handle.

Jay's flatpacks have a number of options including overhang or no overhang on the top piece and grills. His flatpacks are easy to put together with a minimum number of clamps. Peter has a YouTube video showing the process. DuraTex is easy to apply, is rugged, and will give you a flatter finish. While parallel clamps are nice, they are expensive but there are less expensive options such as bar clamps and ratchet straps. Something to think about anyway.

Mike

LouM5

« Reply #10 on: 13 Sep 2021, 06:47 pm »
Thx Mike,
  What would you charge to build either the doubles or triples?
 Looks like the amps are in the bottom?
Would it be less expensive to have the amps on the outside?
I'm in chicago also.
Finish would just be matt black.
 Thank you, Lou.

Squeaks

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2021, 02:17 am »
I’ll second that triple suggestion. 1 was noticeable, 2 was there. 3 is where it’s at. Good luck on your adventure, they are well worth it. That top driver is right at ear level while I’m sitting in my chair.

Triples next to magnepans with no amp in the bottom. Just reference only.

Early B.

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2021, 03:38 am »
Lou -- since we decided that triples are what you want (and yes -- you absolutely want them!), it's best to get a local guy to build them. It would cost many hundreds of dollars to crate and freight completed triples. Very easy for any local woodworker to do with a set of plans. Then get a friend to help you wire them if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. Again, easy to do with pictures and instructions available on this forum. Your friend doesn't need any special skills -- just a guy who likes putting stuff together. Preferably a young guy so he can do all of the heavy lifting for you. 
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2021, 07:22 pm by Early B. »

LouM5

« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2021, 07:47 am »
 :icon_surprised:Thank everyone for your help.
I have a thought. In my initial  search for subs I was leaning toward  the Swarm set up from Audio Kenisis.
Four rear firing singles, one in each corner or wall.
At the demo Sunday he said Dan suggested a single in the back along with the doubles to add slam. Could a pair of singles without amps be added either stacked on top of the doubles or moved around the room to smooth out the signal. Any problem with daisy chasing them?.
Thanks Lou.

LouM5

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2021, 07:48 am »
Dont know what that first words are?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2021, 06:46 pm »
I had the pleasure of auditioning a pair at a members house yesterday.
His system is just magnificent and he was more than willing to answer and educate me.

Thanks, Lou!  It’s nice to get a second opinion and confirmation that I’m not just hearing things.  :thumb:

:icon_surprised: Thank everyone for your help.
I have a thought. In my initial  search for subs I was leaning toward  the Swarm set up from Audio Kenisis.
Four rear firing singles, one in each corner or wall.
At the demo Sunday he said Dan suggested a single in the back along with the doubles to add slam. Could a pair of singles without amps be added either stacked on top of the doubles or moved around the room to smooth out the signal. Any problem with daisy chasing them?.
Thanks Lou.

As I mentioned, the cables connecting the amp to the sub drivers needs to be as short as possible.  As those cables get longer the servo starts to lose control and become less effective.  So no, wiring them that way won’t work.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2021, 07:09 pm »
You can either do an OB based approach to bass OR you can do a swarm based approach to bass.  But not both.  That's because OB bass relies upon exciting as few room modes as possible to give you clean bass.  And a swarm based approach relies upon exciting as many room modes as possible in order to average out the peaks and nulls that box bass engenders.

LouM5

« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2021, 07:48 pm »
Thanks Rob ad Tyson,
 So OB  is either two doubles or triples in front is the way to go then?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2021, 08:26 pm »
Well, some guys go further.   :wink:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 14 Sep 2021, 08:47 pm »
Well, some guys go further.   :wink:

Yep, sure did!  :D