Encore-port location

Rikard Ekval

Encore-port location
« on: 7 Sep 2021, 09:34 pm »
Hi there folks
Planing to build the X-SLS, floor standing Encores. Pair up with some nice speaker feet for the look and stability.
Speakers placed 300-600 mm (12-24 inches) from the wall.
My question to you all, is how about the port placement?
Want a stable, controlled dynamics and accurate sound in the lower regions.
Also pairing them with a sealed direct servo sub, but the X-SLS should manage the low parts by it itself.

As I’m to mount some nice feet, that raises the speaker 40-50 mm (about 2 inches), would a down firing port, be ok?
Or is it the back firing or front firing that must be my choice?  :scratch:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Encore-port location
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2021, 12:36 am »
If you expect to have 1-2’ from the wall the rear port should be fine.

EdwardT

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2021, 01:07 am »
I’d hazard a guess that a down firing port would work but it might require a good bit more than 2” to achieve the best response. The cabinets do have an extra section that's not in the sealed speaker space so you might be able to incorporate that into your plan by using a false bottom. This image shows the cabinet upside down, the howitzer shell is in the extra section.

I ordered the flat pack that has the port in front to make it easier to place them closer to the wall.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2021, 06:56 am »
If you expect to have 1-2’ from the wall the rear port should be fine.
Hi. Thanks. Everyone says the same and it’s correct. Trying to find some solution to get a cleaner look from all the sides of the cabinet. Therefore would a down firing port be the cleanest choice. But then the port gets to close to a flat surface and not 3 feet of the floor/wall.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2021, 07:04 am »
I’d hazard a guess that a down firing port would work but it might require a good bit more than 2” to achieve the best response. The cabinets do have an extra section that's not in the sealed speaker space so you might be able to incorporate that into your plan by using a false bottom. This image shows the cabinet upside down, the howitzer shell is in the extra section.

I ordered the flat pack that has the port in front to make it easier to place them closer to the wall.

Nice cabinets!
I will cut MDF and glue it all together myself. Living I Europe, so a flat pack got to expensive to ship.
I’m planing to reduce the height of the empty sand space in the bottom, so the attached port will set the height. From about 7” to 4”??. But then we come to the acoustic of the port and the distance from port to the floor, that’s not 3 feet…. I will lose some bass, but will I lose quality. That’s my main issue. Any thoughts?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2021, 03:07 pm »
Rikard, here's an out-of-the-ordinary idea, although perhaps more work than it worth. But, of course, that's my specialty!

A quick render of bottom of cabinet

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2021, 04:00 pm »
The rear port will give you the cleanest look because nobody will be able to see it since it faces the wall. Also, since you can get it 12"-24" from the wall, the rear firing port will will couple with the wall and give you better bass extension. 

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2021, 08:13 pm »
Rikard, here's an out-of-the-ordinary idea, although perhaps more work than it worth. But, of course, that's my specialty!

A quick render of bottom of cabinet

Dear Peter. My respect to you and your skills as you have shown in numerous YTvideos.  :thumb:I do see your creative touch to these speakers. Although it’s not WAF approved. :? The acoustics tells me to keep that rear port, period. :o But I want a down firing port, because of the look. Like Troel Graveson cabinet speaker designs. Imagine a speaker standing by it self in the room, so people can go around it, like a piece of art! :)

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2021, 08:20 pm »
The rear port will give you the cleanest look because nobody will be able to see it since it faces the wall. Also, since you can get it 12"-24" from the wall, the rear firing port will will couple with the wall and give you better bass extension.
Dear Mlundy, I do know not to fight the acoustics and try to invent the wheel again. You have given me advice before and I did follow them. I’m trying to place the speaker so they look good from all angles. A port does disturb the looks. Not WAF approved. A port in front or back above the tube connectors, looks not so fun. I will make the port on the back, but it would had been nice to port the bottom.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2021, 08:40 pm »
Since you are also using a sub, maybe make the speakers sealed, so there is no port. 

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #10 on: 12 Sep 2021, 06:44 pm »
Since you are also using a sub, maybe make the speakers sealed, so there is no port.
Thanks Tyson. Sealed have crossed my mind, because Danny have occasionally spoken that the X-LS are really good sealed.
Leaning to the X-LS instead…
I might put the port in the bottom and place the Encores on a stand, with a hole on top, for the port to breath thru. But then I have to design some nice speaker stands that wifiey will approve 😳.