Cat's out of the bag, new M series on their way.

sjsfiveo

Cat's out of the bag, new M series on their way.
« on: 5 Sep 2021, 06:36 pm »
Super excited, can't wait to get mine. It's hard keeping a secret. Check the website for info on the new M speakers.

Don_S

sockpit

Re: Cat's out of the bag, new M series on their way.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2021, 07:27 pm »
Glad to see Clayton maintains confidence in the M100 driver! 

Otherwise it looks like a modification to improve the bass in the M5s (which I own). Some sensitivity has been sacrificed in smaller models.

M3 looks about the same. 

Tangram

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2021, 09:19 pm »
So the takeaway for me from this line update is the benefits of two woofers in Open Baffle speakers versus one..

doggie

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2021, 09:26 pm »
It also looks like the X series now come with Gaia feet and the price has been accordingly bumped up.

Still a great value!

franSSS

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2021, 08:25 am »
Yep, been very difficult not to say anything on the forums about it.

I bought a pair of the M4's these some months ago knowing they were going to be produced. A bit nervous on how they will sound since none one auditioned them before. ( I've had all the specs in advance).

I am waiting for mine to be color sprayed with a chosen color. I need to fly a sample of it over to Clayton in order to ensure it is the correct color. Just been away and have not been able to get round to it. This will be done latest this week!

Hopefully they will sound stupendous! (By all accounts they will!).

sjsfiveo

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2021, 12:06 pm »
FranSSS,

I know the feeling I bought mine many months ago purely on Clayton's word, but I trust him. I've had X5's and it was my biggest regret selling those, greatest speaker I've owned. I reached out to Clayton with the idea of buying another pair of X5's and that's when he told me about the M4's so I decided to go that route.

Steve

KurtusCFlush

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2021, 02:00 pm »
... I just don't know what to say. I'll keep most of my thoughts to myself right now, but I've gotta ask: does anyone know if they M100 are still crossover-less and still play down to the 500's?

RonN5

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2021, 02:06 pm »
I suspect that coming out with a smaller, lighter, and easier to move/position unit (M6) will result in a lot of sales... :)

RolandButcher

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2021, 02:32 pm »
So the sapphire driver will be approx. 9" higher on the M3 v. the M6. Curious how that might impact the sound in a medium-sized room.   

Tangram

« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2021, 05:14 pm »
So the sapphire driver will be approx. 9" higher on the M3 v. the M6. Curious how that might impact the sound in a medium-sized room.   

Part of that will be a function of how close you sit to the speakers. But the M100 is a high dispersion tweeter so that should help a bit.

franSSS

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2021, 05:58 pm »
FranSSS,

I know the feeling I bought mine many months ago purely on Clayton's word, but I trust him. I've had X5's and it was my biggest regret selling those, greatest speaker I've owned. I reached out to Clayton with the idea of buying another pair of X5's and that's when he told me about the M4's so I decided to go that route.

Steve

Your review/comparison will be very interesting since you has the x5's before. BTW what did you replace them with?

sjsfiveo

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2021, 06:17 pm »
I got a pair of Magico A1's with a pair of REL sub's.  I did this as I was looking to downsize my whole system and have regretted it ever since. Don't get me wrong the Magico's are A great speaker and I'm very happy with them I just miss the open baffle.

Mr. Big

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2021, 10:50 pm »
A box speaker will sound like a closed-in box speaker, which will never change to us who have owned panels, electrostatic and Open Baffle speakers, there is no going back for long as Quad speakers folks say once you heard Quad eventually find your way back home, Open Baffle speakers can be added to that now also thanks to Clayton designs.

Docere

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2021, 04:52 am »
A box speaker will sound like a closed-in box speaker, which will never change to us who have owned panels, electrostatic and Open Baffle speakers, there is no going back for long as Quad speakers folks say once you heard Quad eventually find your way back home, Open Baffle speakers can be added to that now also thanks to Clayton designs.

I moved from panels to a big, heavily-built MLTL. Not to say I won't return to panels or try OBs, but I've been happy with MLTLs for close to a decade now. Maybe I'm an exception.

The X Series do look appealing though...

Mr. Big

« Reply #15 on: 7 Sep 2021, 12:54 pm »
I moved from panels to a big, heavily-built MLTL. Not to say I won't return to panels or try OBs, but I've been happy with MLTLs for close to a decade now. Maybe I'm an exception.

The X Series do look appealing though...

If you like what you have that is great, it's a hobby with different tastes to sound as it should be. But once you live without a box speaker for a while, it is hard to go back. I loved my Dynaudio Confidence 5's could still be enjoying them in fact. But panels sound more open and coherent. Electrostatics more so due to their design.

catluck

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2021, 02:42 pm »
Clayton proves you can't quiet a curious mind.  I saw the new webpage and thought, "oh shit, upgrades..."  Having lived through the original M series upgrades, which were not inexpensive, I have to applaud Sockpit's sentiment about Clayton's continuing dedication to the M100 driver. And, it appears we lucked out for the time being with no upgrades.  Not that I'm against upgrades at all.  I applaud continuing R&D.  Still, it's nice not to have to part with a chunk of dough having just completed the M3's break-in period.  What a fabulous speaker!

Docere

« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2021, 06:32 am »
If you like what you have that is great, it's a hobby with different tastes to sound as it should be. But once you live without a box speaker for a while, it is hard to go back. I loved my Dynaudio Confidence 5's could still be enjoying them in fact. But panels sound more open and coherent. Electrostatics more so due to their design.

I guess my point is that I did not find it at all difficult moving from panels I owned for a decade to the MLTLs I have now owned for almost as long. I owned ported and sealed box speakers before moving to the panels. I appreciate and enjoy different approaches and don’t have trouble moving back and forth between fine examples of them. The BR speakers I’ve heard recently do have a hollowness that that took me a short while to become comfortable with.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2021, 08:53 am by Docere »

doggie

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2021, 11:10 am »
I guess my point is that I did not find it at all difficult moving from panels I owned for a decade to the MLTLs I have now owned for almost as long. I owned ported and sealed box speakers before moving to the panels. I appreciate and enjoy different approaches and don’t have trouble moving back and forth between fine examples of them. The BR speakers I’ve heard recently do have a hollowness that that took me a short while to become comfortable with.

What do MLTL and BR stand for?

Thanks.

RonN5

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2021, 01:27 pm »
One question for Clayton regarding the M6 (and probably the M3 or M4 for that matter)...what are the options for feet that will work on a ceramic tile floor and allow the proper level of tilt for the speaker?