Mini routed edges

JCarney

Mini routed edges
« on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:36 pm »
When I purchased the mini, I noticed the pic on the purchase page, and the blue example in one of the vids had the vertical corners routed in a round over. Is there an audible plus to doing the routing? I have no router currently, but may be able to borrow one if necessary.

Thanks for any guidance,
JCarney

subsonic1050

Re: Mini routed edges
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2021, 03:26 pm »
Yes, the rounded edge will reduce edge diffraction. It is an audible improvement as well as a strength improvement as a sharp corner on MDF will be more susceptible to damage. Personally, I also find it aesthetically more appealing, but that's subjective.

JCarney

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2021, 05:20 pm »
I suspected as much on the diffraction, and sharper corners are more prone to damage. I must take into consideration the end user, my 7 year old Granddaughter.  Let the router hunt commence.  :lol:

Thanks Subsonic,
JCarney

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2021, 01:25 pm »
I picked up a mini router and roundover bit specifically for my Servo Sub build.   I've since used it several times on other household projects, and I'm about to use the roundover again for my A/V-1RS cabinets.   It was a good investment.    :thumb:

JCarney

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2021, 01:33 pm »
I will have to get one of those today. One can be had for a mere $30.00. I may spend a little more, but that is an easily accepted entry fee.

Thanks Vince,
JCarney

Craig B

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2021, 06:11 pm »
Palm routers are great little tools.

JCarney

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2021, 01:46 pm »
I will find out pretty soon how cool a toy it is. Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction.

JCarney

JWCoffman

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2021, 02:44 pm »
Spend some quality time on scrap wood to get a feel for it if you aren't used to using one.  The stock base on a palm router is usually pretty small, so it takes a little skill to keep it firmly on the workpiece.  There are lots of great tutorials on youtube to help folks get started.  It's one of the most versatile tools you will ever buy.

JCarney

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2021, 02:56 pm »
JWCoffman:
That is good advice. I had planned on chewing up some scrap before I used it on the speakers. I still need to get her Mom's input on her using it to chew up some scrap. This one step she may not get to do herself.

Thanks,
JCarney

subsonic1050

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2021, 03:11 pm »
JWCoffman:
That is good advice. I had planned on chewing up some scrap before I used it on the speakers. I still need to get her Mom's input on her using it to chew up some scrap. This one step she may not get to do herself.

Thanks,
JCarney

I would very strongly suggest doing that part yourself. The router is perhaps the most dangerous tool in the shop. The cutter is spinning at high speed without a guard of any sort, and it can grab the material unexpectedly and violently. I've seen some pretty nasty injuries from routers. A small palm router with a roundover bit and bearing is one of the safest operations you can do, but still, there is zero chance I'd have a child do it.

JWCoffman

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2021, 10:08 pm »
I would very strongly suggest doing that part yourself. The router is perhaps the most dangerous tool in the shop. The cutter is spinning at high speed without a guard of any sort, and it can grab the material unexpectedly and violently. I've seen some pretty nasty injuries from routers. A small palm router with a roundover bit and bearing is one of the safest operations you can do, but still, there is zero chance I'd have a child do it.
Echo this.  I'm all for introducing kids to tools, but this is one of those cases where the physics alone are not in her favor.

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 4 Sep 2021, 10:35 pm »
I appreciate the warnings and concern guys, and her safety during this project is top priority. A little about me: I spent 25+ years doing different phases of construction and interior/exterior finishing. The last 17 of those years spent running my painting company until my wife made me retire because I had developed stomach problems. I know the dangers of power tools, and how quickly an injury can happen. Again, Sincerely, Thank You for your concern and looking out for my Granddaughter.

JCarney