Internal wire upgrade

JakeJ

Re: Internal wire upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2021, 12:24 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  I'm closing in on the remaining parts I need to build a pair of them myself and I'd like to get as much info as possible before starting.  Still need to discuss crossover components to build a BOM.

I will probably be pinging you for more info as my project progresses.

Jaytor

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2021, 01:44 pm »
Is the Nimak wire really litz wire (lots of individually insulated thin conductors) as they claim? How are you removing the insulation to terminate?

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #22 on: 5 Sep 2021, 02:04 am »
Does anyone have experience or thoughts about something like this for internal wiring?  It's a braid of eight strands, highpurity OCC.

I put the coin in for size reference.  I'm going to strip some and try to get a cumulative measurement to estimate total overall gauge but it's looking like probably just smaller than a 16ga total.  I'm getting ready to give it a try.

Edit:  each conductor is 6 strands, twisted together, and all 8 conductors together it is a little smaller than a 16ga, but not so thin or delicate that it couldn't function well as internal wiring.  The true limiting factor would be the labor to strip these little things so many times for each internal connection.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #23 on: 7 Sep 2021, 03:05 am »
This reminds me of another weird thought: has anyone bypassed the binding posts? I was thinking I might wire up some of Danny's cables straight into the crossover and out to spades for the amp. The biggest issue I see is that if you were to give that cable a tank, Bad Things would happen. Do folks see issues beyond that? Anyone done it?
Just so you know, I am doing this now. Speaker wires soldered directly to the crossover. This is a set of Mini's. So yes the wires are attached to the speakers. I have a short run and it is really no problem at all. Sounds very good.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #24 on: 7 Sep 2021, 06:34 am »
Wgraft5,
You're not alone.  I have soldered external speaker wire directly to crossover connections, and know others have done the same.   In the past, what I have done for desktop monitors is make a custom twisted cable, two twisted 16ga (13ga total) or two twisted 14ga (11ga total) is used for each + and - conductor.  The individual legs are each twisted in same direction and those two pair are both twisted together in opposite direction.  4 wire conductors total, twisted first as pairs, with the pairs them twisted together.   One round hole in the cabinet let's the wire bundle pass through.   It is sealed in the inside with hot melt glue stick or an adhesive caulk.   On the inside of the cabinet, a loose zip tie loop or small dowel piece is inserted through the wire braid and  glued against the cabinet opening to serve as a stopper to prevent the cable from being able to be pulled any further through cabinet from the outside.   4 or 5 foot cables from each speaker should be enough for any desktop or nearfield monitor situation.  Directly soldering provides the cleanest possible connection and it saves a decent bit of money instead of buying premium binding posts and wire terminations at the speaker location.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #25 on: 26 Feb 2022, 09:00 pm »
Looking for some thoughts from the group. I have Canare 14 gauge OFC cooper stranded wire with a PE insulating coating. Would it be worth rewiring my Klipsch RP5000f internal wire with the Canare wire.

I have upgraded Capacitors to Erse caps with Sonicap bypass Caps, Mills resistors. I have a set of tube connectors coming to determinate some Kimber 8vs speaker wire.