Mini Build with my Granddaughter

JCarney

Mini Build with my Granddaughter
« on: 26 Aug 2021, 09:21 pm »
I broke out the xover parts, and we assembled the tweeter circuit for one speaker.  :lol: The Switch won out today. Almost forgot the flat pack pic.

JCarney

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Mini Build with my Granddaughter
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2021, 09:26 pm »
Very cute!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:22 am »
Puts a smile on my face and reminds me of my father with our 6 year old. We spent almost 6 months with my parents during the early months of the pandemic last year and my dad spent every day working with his namesake grandson on virtual kindergarten class and then had him help with all sorts of projects around the house after. As rough as the past year and a half have been we are blessed to have those cherished memories. Thanks for sharing your photos.

JCarney

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:35 am »
Tyson:
Thanks.
She has owned me from the moment she was born, and she knows it.  :lol:

hawkeye:
I bet that made your son very happy. Memories of experiences and time spent are what stay with them. I spoil my Grandkids a bit. I built them a climbing wall in my back yard.

Granddaughter for scale. 8'X16'. The lower left is for my Grandson. He has short legs.  :lol:

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:42 pm »
I pick my Granddaughter up almost every morning so she can climb on the climbing wall for her morning exercise. Today, we split the time between the wall and the mini's. We dry fit the boxes so she could see what they would look like and the size. We sanded the inside and out of each panel in prep for priming. I explained to her that moisture in the form of humidity can swell the wood, and eventually damage the boxes. This afternoon I hope to pick her up to work on the xovers.

JCarney

« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2021, 02:57 pm by JCarney »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2021, 02:47 pm »
This is too precious!
I'm sure it'll be a fantastic experience for her from start to finish!  :thumb:

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2021, 04:47 pm »
If you start them off with good stuff, they will grow up appreciating good sound.  My own daughter (14 years old) is a full fledged audiophile especially re: headphones and portable music.

JCarney

« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2021, 04:56 pm »
In reading the thread this morning, I noticed I omitted a response to Hobbs' response. I do apologize Hobbs.
Hobbs:
She is very precious, as is her brother. I think so far she is enjoying the process.
Tyson:
Agreed. My daughter, the oldest, never got into it. My youngest son has a pair of Shamrock speakers I gave him, and not sure what else. :dunno:
The middle son has a lot of my old set up. He has the Dali Grands, my Pascal digital amp, Parasound Zdac, and MG Audio early prototype speaker cables. So two of three aint bad. :lol:

JCarney

PS
You've been to my house when I was still in Lafayette for a CAS gtg.
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2021, 01:45 pm by JCarney »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2021, 05:22 pm »
Very cool that your grand daughter is showing and interest in audio.  Years ago, my son and I built a Pass B1 preamp/buffer together and he is now an audiophile with a Cary Integrated amp/DAC, Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers, a Rythmik F12se sub and a vintage 1970's Pioneer TT.  Now we listen to music together about 2 hours per week.  My daughter doesn't quite get it though.

Enjoy this time together as it goes by fast.

Tyson

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2021, 09:44 pm »
Tyson:
Agreed. My daughter, the oldest, never got into it. My youngest son has a pair of Shamrock speakers I gave him, and not sure what else. :dunno:
The middle son has a lot of my old set up. He has the Dali Grands, my Pascal digital amp, Parasound Zdac, and MG Audio early prototype speaker cables. So two of three aint bad. :lol:

JCarney

PS
You've been to my house when I was still in Lafayette for a CAS gtg.

Hey, I thought you looked familiar!  I miss the old in-person CAS meetings.  I need to host another get together at my house as I have some new speakers coming for the upstairs system to replace my hotrodded Klipsch Forte III's - the Spatial Audio X3's!  They should be here by the end of September. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2021, 10:20 pm »
I have some new speakers coming for the upstairs system to replace my hotrodded Klipsch Forte III's - the Spatial Audio X3's!  They should be here by the end of September.
I've been really thinking about a pair of those. Would love to see a little review once you get them.

RonP

« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2021, 01:11 pm »
I'm imagining the conversation with her teacher afterwards... you know the "what did you do this weekend?" one...

probably gonna end with "What's a crossover?" :lol:

JCarney

« Reply #12 on: 28 Aug 2021, 01:35 pm »
I.Greyhound:
Yes, the time does go quickly, too quickly, and Grandkids are just the best. How cool is it to hang and listen to some music with your son? I bet he has introduced you to some new stuff.   :D

RonP:
 :lol: :lol: And my Granddaughter trying to explain it to her.  :lol:

mkrawcz:
I will ghost write a review for my Granddaughter. The "review" will be in her words, but my typing.

JCarney

Nico M

« Reply #13 on: 28 Aug 2021, 02:21 pm »
This kind of things make great impressions on such a young age. She will probably remember this diy adventure forever. That is some quality time spent together. Great photo's.

JCarney

« Reply #14 on: 28 Aug 2021, 09:37 pm »
Xovers are twisted together and ready for mounting to the board. We also went to Ace and got Titebond, small wire brush for soldering, and another sanding sponge.

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #15 on: 28 Aug 2021, 09:40 pm »
Thank You Nico, I sure hope she remembers it for a long time. I heard a saying about kids that is funny and accurate. "Kids are like wet cement, everything leaves an impression."

JCarney

JCarney

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2021, 09:46 pm »
I left out a detail from the first post. Before we did any wire twisting, I showed her the different symbols for the resistors, caps, and coils as well as wrote them on the schematic. I wanted her to know what she was looking at. A bonus, today she pointed to each of the 3 symbols and told me what they were from memory because I needed reminding. :lol:

JCarney

Barryg443

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2021, 10:16 pm »
I love seeing this!  Glad you can share this experience with your daughter!  I am building a guitar amp with my grandson next summer!  I hope it goes as well!

mkrawcz

« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2021, 10:23 pm »
The magic moment is when she hears what she built and how good it sounds.

mscetal

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2021, 11:53 pm »
This is so awesome!