BANG & OLUFSEN SPEAKERS OVERHAUL (BEOLAB 1 MODIFICATIONS)

OSIB16

Ok so as some of you on here know; I am a big fan of modifying Bang & Olufsen hifi equipment ((YEARS 1999-2005)). My latest project is a dream come true for myself. I’m currently working on the largest ‘Active Speakers’ that Bang & Olufsen has ever produced to date; the Beolab 1’s. These things are huge aluminium beasts. Very imposing, standing at 6FT 2 and weighing 36KG each!! These examples from 1999 are in ‘New Condition’. Was lucky to find them.

My plan is to perform the worlds most extensive modifications to this particular model. I will now guide you through the various stages…

« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2022, 10:52 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

Re: BANG & OLUFSEN SPEAKERS OVERHAUL ((THE MIGHTY BEOLAB 1))
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:33 pm »
Below is a list of the proposed tasks…

1) REPLACE ALL EXISTING ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS WITH THE BEST; ELNA SILMIC II, AUDIO NOTE KAISEI NON POLAR, NICHICON MUSE NON POLAR, MUNDORF AG.

2) UPGRADE ALL INTERNAL WIRING INCLUDING ON TRANSFORMERS; WITH NEOTECH 18AWG SOLID CORE COPPER (FOR TWEETER & MIDRANGE), SUPRA 13.5AWG STRANDED COPPER (FOR TRANSFORMER INPUT WIRES), KIMBER 19AWG STRANDED COPPER & SUPRA 13.5AWG STRANDED COPPER (FOR TRANSFORMER OUTPUT WIRES), SUPRA 11AWG STRANDED COPPER (FOR IEC INPUT) DUELUND 16AWG COTTON STRANDED COPPER (FOR WOOFERS), BARE SOLID CORE 22AWG UPOCC SILVER PLATE COPPER (FOR SHIELDED JUMPER BETWEEN PCB’s).

((WHEREVER POSSIBLE; WIRING IS STRIPPED OF EXISTING PLASTIC SLEEVING AND COVERED WITH PURE COTTON SHEATH)).

3) TREAT ALL BARE COPPER WITH DEOXIT GOLD OIL TO PREVENT ANY FUTURE BUILD UP OF CORROSION.

4) VASTLY INCREASE THE GAUGES/THICKNESS OF WIRING IN SPECIFIC LOCATIONS.

5) CREATE SEPARATE COMPARTMENTS INSIDE THE SPEAKER TO ISOLATE THE MIDRANGE & TWEETER FROM THE WOOFERS.

6) ADD BASS REFLEX PORTS TO THE WOOFER COMPARTMENTS (INCREASES POWER HANDLING).

7) MODIFY MIDRANGE UNIT (REMOVE GRILL AND REAR PLASTIC BOX).

8) ADD PROPER DAMPING MATERIAL TO INTERIOR OF SPEAKER CABINET ((OPEN CELL FOAM FOR TREBLE/MID CHAMBER. CLOSED CELL FOAM FOR WOOFER CHAMBERS)).

9) INSTALL HEAVY DISC SHAPED STEEL PLATFORMS, FOR USE UNDER SPEAKER (IMPROVES BASS, AND ALLOWS FOR THE ACCOMMODATION OF CHUNKY POWER CABLES & INTERCONNECTS).

10) INSTALL HIFI-TUNING SUPREME SILVER GOLD FUSES (Solid Silver Fuse Wire).
« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2023, 07:40 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:45 pm »
After opening up the cabinets I have found that the existing internal wiring is covered with a protective foam sheath, which is disintegrating/falling to pieces and also melting onto an area of the circuit board which it is resting against. Cleaned off the foam residue with white spirits. Looks like I got there just in the nick of time, before a short circuit or fire takes place!

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2023, 07:45 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:52 pm »
Modifications to the Midrange unit…

JCarney

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:55 pm »
Dude, you are a mad hatter and I think it's awesome. I enjoyed the last thread, even though I did not post, but I had to here.

Keep it up,
JCarney

OSIB16

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:57 pm »

OSIB16

« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2021, 02:59 pm »
Dude, you are a mad hatter and I think it's awesome. I enjoyed the last thread, even though I did not post, but I had to here.

Keep it up,
JCarney

Thanks. I take that as a compliment😁👍

OSIB16

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2021, 03:05 pm »
Very heavy Steel isolation platforms, with a layer of furniture padding fabric installed on top (prevents scratches to the underside of the speakers when sitting on them).

« Last Edit: 30 May 2022, 02:44 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2021, 03:15 pm »
Below is image showing the original jumper cable which I covered with masking tape to stop the melting foam mess from getting onto my hands. I will replace this entirely.

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2023, 07:48 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2021, 03:33 pm »
I have spoken to a guy who works for KEF AUDIO here in the UK, and he advised me how to correctly use speaker damping materials for the best effect. He explained that Open Cell Foam is ideal for use behind Midrange and Treble Units to absorb any ‘Standing Waves’. So I’m gonna use this Open Cell foam (pictured below) to line the walls of the Treble/Midrange chamber (one layer of bobbled over the top of flat sheet).

« Last Edit: 30 May 2022, 03:01 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2021, 03:35 pm »
He also warned me that I shouldn’t use Open Cell Foam behind woofers; so as not to absorb any low frequency energy emanating from it, which will ruin the bass response. So I’m using this Closed Cell foam (shown below) which will be installed into the bass/woofer chambers of my Beolab 1’s. It should absorb any stray midrange frequencies coming off the back of the woofers.

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2023, 07:50 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2021, 05:47 pm »
Just finished replacing the transformer jumper wires to 99.999% purity copper. I used Supra tinned strand on the input and some of the output to add some much needed necessary warmth to the overall sound. I also simplified the wiring design layout for the output signal by soldering together some of the connector/plug pins, which allowed me to use 4 wires instead of 8. Much simpler. Less wire clutter; to help reduce distortion.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2022, 11:11 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2021, 05:48 pm »
New leads hardwired in place of the original weedy junk wire. I snipped off the wire as close as possible to the connectors plugs, then soldered the replacement Kimber and Supra wire in place…

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2021, 09:13 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2021, 09:48 pm »
Here is the original jumper wire for the tweeter, midrange and woofers. What a spaghetti mess!! Looks like it was put together by a team of chimpanzees. :lol:

« Last Edit: 18 Jul 2023, 07:54 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2021, 09:50 pm »
Here is the new simplified/upgraded wiring that I put together. I purposely use 18 Gauge for tweeter to help round off the edgy treble of Beolab 1…

« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2021, 09:00 pm by OSIB16 »

Nico M

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2021, 01:57 pm »
Hi,

Great topic. I love the design of B&O.
I also take decent vintage equiptment,  and take it to the next level and beyond by removing bottlenecks and improving things so the performance is up to the standards of today. Vintage gear can sound really good, if you know what you are doing.
I also took a glance at your list of capacitors,  and i gave to give a word of warning here.
The silmic's would certainly NOT be my capacitor of choice, and here is why:

They color the sound in a pretty extreme way. They add a lot of highbas, lower mids, and voices start to sound dark, heavy and nasal. Also they remove all harmonic distortion in mids and highs. A distortion guitar sounds really  "sweet"  when you use these. Piano attacs are dead and lifeless, same for highheads, drums etc. They are terrible, remove all mids and high dynamics. Your system also looses a lot of speed.  I have done lots of experiments with them up to six months, even after a extended burnin time things where not looking up. A lot of people seem to like them, and i really cannot understand why. There are different series, series 1 is somewhat less bad compared to series 2.

They do image very well, soundstage is great. But it's the only thing they are any good at.
Only suited for pa systems, which have to play very loud.

If you are looking to add some warmth in a system, try nichicon finegold.
The combination i use for voicing gear is finegold, and ukz. Also good imaging, transparant mids.
I use gold tune in power supply's when there is room for it.

I hope this helps you in any way.

Best regards,

Nico.

OSIB16

« Reply #16 on: 21 Sep 2021, 02:05 pm »
Hi,

Great topic. I love the design of B&O.
I also take decent vintage equiptment,  and take it to the next level and beyond by removing bottlenecks and improving things so the performance is up to the standards of today. Vintage gear can sound really good, if you know what you are doing.
I also took a glance at your list of capacitors,  and i gave to give a word of warning here.
The silmic's would certainly NOT be my capacitor of choice, and here is why:

They color the sound in a pretty extreme way. They add a lot of highbas, lower mids, and voices start to sound dark, heavy and nasal. Also they remove all harmonic distortion in mids and highs. A distortion guitar sounds really  "sweet"  when you use these. Piano attacs are dead and lifeless, same for highheads, drums etc. They are terrible, remove all mids and high dynamics. Your system also looses a lot of speed.  I have done lots of experiments with them up to six months, even after a extended burnin time things where not looking up. A lot of people seem to like them, and i really cannot understand why. There are different series, series 1 is somewhat less bad compared to series 2.

They do image very well, soundstage is great. But it's the only thing they are any good at.
Only suited for pa systems, which have to play very loud.

If you are looking to add some warmth in a system, try nichicon finegold.
The combination i use for voicing gear is finegold, and ukz. Also good imaging, transparant mids.
I use gold tune in power supply's when there is room for it.

I hope this helps you in any way.

Best regards,

Nico.

Thanks for the advice Nico, I will take it onboard. Agreed that the Elna Silmic II has some flaws. However the Beolab 1’s are notorious for ‘THINNESS’ in the upper bass/lower midrange, and they are also ‘SHRILL’ in the treble region. So I welcome the Silmic II’s added boost to the Upper Bass/Lower mids to help fix the ‘THINNESS’ issue. I also welcome the Silmic II ‘DARKNESS’ to help combat the upward tilted ‘TREBLE SHRILLNESS’ tendency of the Beolab 1’s.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2022, 04:02 pm by OSIB16 »

OSIB16

« Reply #17 on: 21 Sep 2021, 02:13 pm »
I also require the Silmic II’s lack of distortion in Mid/Treble to help fix the Beolab 1’s annoying issue of DISTORTION when they are playing music at super loud volumes.

Nico M

« Reply #18 on: 21 Sep 2021, 03:10 pm »
Hi,

If you are looking to add some warmth, please also consider experiments with Nichicon finegold.
They also add some high bass warmth, and in the kickdrum region. Almost without the nasal voice effect. They do also not have a elevated treble. They are 90% without the problems a Silmic will introduce.
A Silmic will rob a system from mids and high dynamics. That is my main problem with them. All the rest is subject to taste. Your speaker will sound dull, and very, very boring, like the sound is permanantly going through a autotune feature.
Unless that is a result you are looking for?
It seems a very serious project to me, so that is why i wrote down my personel findings with extensive capacitor experiments.
Gook luck, and please report back progress, and your findings when you are ready.

OSIB16

« Reply #19 on: 21 Sep 2021, 04:25 pm »
Hi,

If you are looking to add some warmth, please also consider experiments with Nichicon finegold.
They also add some high bass warmth, and in the kickdrum region. Almost without the nasal voice effect. They do also not have a elevated treble. They are 90% without the problems a Silmic will introduce.
A Silmic will rob a system from mids and high dynamics. That is my main problem with them. All the rest is subject to taste. Your speaker will sound dull, and very, very boring, like the sound is permanantly going through a autotune feature.
Unless that is a result you are looking for?
It seems a very serious project to me, so that is why i wrote down my personel findings with extensive capacitor experiments.
Gook luck, and please report back progress, and your findings when you are ready.

Thanks again for the tips. I’ll take it on board. So far I have successfully completed modifications to Beolab 4000’s and also Beolab 6000 MK2. All using Silmic II’s. After the mods, both speakers sound wonderful to these ears (especially the 6000’s). I guess I have bad hearing then😀 I dunno, perhaps it’s just the way my ears are shaped.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2021, 05:59 pm by OSIB16 »