Hello

ryanicky

Hello
« on: 24 Aug 2021, 06:40 pm »
Hi,

I am new to this Circle and will be looking for speaker advice. I don't want to purchase a pair of floor standers and find out they are average at best.

Regards,

Richard

subsonic1050

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2021, 08:18 pm »
Welcome Richard! You're going to need to give us a bit more information to be able to help you. If you aren't aware, you're in the GR Research circle which is primarily DIY speakers from kits. So, here are some questions for you:

1. Are you wanting to build some DIY speakers? (Are there some that you already have your eye on?)

2. If yes, then what sort of performance are you looking for - do you have some "reference" speakers or speakers that you are trying to upgrade from?

3. What kind of money are you looking to spend?

4. What are you wanting to do with the speakers (music, home theater, etc.)

5. What are you using, or plan to use, as equipment for the rest of the system?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2021, 12:20 am »
Welcome to AC!

We've definitely got a few DIY floor standing kits that are fantastic options, if thats what you're looking for.

If you want full range, your best bet will be the X-MTMs

If you want a more open mid-range, then I'd looks at the X-Statiks.

Want something a little more simple? Then there's the X-SLS Encore that is the floor standing version of the X-LS Encore bookshelf.

Then off the beaten path there's the X-Omni that's got a really unique sound to them, but they definitely need to be pulled away from any walls.

Then of course, there's the high end open-baffle offerings like the NX Otica. Just make sure you can get them 3+ feet into the room.

Beyond that, I'm sure there are a lot of fantastic options, but most available options will definitely be average at best, despite their pretty looks..

Just depends on what you're looking for?

dryan01uk

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2021, 11:31 am »
Welcome Richard - Lots of very supportive people more than willing to share their knowledge and experience. Enjoy your fall down this particular rabbit hole  :lol:

Hey, Hobbs - what do you mean by the X-omni having a unique sound?  They're in my 'to build' list at some point for HT rears and would love some perspective.  I remember reading somewhere that Danny said they sounded great, but like the X-voce, they don't get much mention in the forums.

D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2021, 12:49 pm »
The X Omni are kind of difficult to describe unless you hear them in person, and I've only had a chance to listen to them once for an hour or so, and not in a great room.
But they sound a lot bigger and a lot more spacious than you might expect.

I'd need a little more time with them to get a better feel for what they do best and how they sound..

I know Ron did a video about his pair of A/V-O speakers that the X-Omnis are based on. That might be a good place to start.
https://youtu.be/tFjWwJbuzmk

dryan01uk

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2021, 09:13 am »
Wow.  Thanks Hobbs.  Great link and interesting review.  Guess I’m just going to have to build a pair to experience them.

D