LGK 2.0

la80vette

LGK 2.0
« on: 24 Aug 2021, 02:28 pm »
When are these drivers expected to arrive?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: LGK 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2021, 04:04 pm »
They're in production now. We're hoping to have them by October.

la80vette

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2021, 04:35 pm »
Thank you. My LGK kit order is already placed.

Oscillate

« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2021, 09:53 pm »
"We're hoping to have them by October"

...GR Research Wedgies 2.0  :)

Skilly

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2021, 02:30 am »
And Another 2 months pass by.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2021, 02:18 pm »
They're on the water. And shipping delays are brutal.
Had that not been the issue, we would likely have had them by now

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2021, 06:31 pm »
Shipping delays are no joke. They affect everything. In our senior nutrition programs we can't get the foam cups we use to serve soups ans stews. Then when we can get the cups, we can't get lids.

To make it worse, if your shipment happens to be on a ship that has a problem, like the Evergiven, the delays are even longer. Multiply these delays by every time a prototype is sent back for additional work and the development cycle is stretched out even more. With the Neo3 driver it took around two years to get a driver developed that met Danny's requirements and product delivered. That was when everything was happening in normal time frames. It's no wonder development of the 2.0 drivers as well as others like the Neo10 are taking so long.

All we can do is be patient with everybody. Eventually we'll get there.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2021, 01:53 pm »
They arrive in the port of NY in a few days. How long it takes to get unloaded and sent to us is another story. Shipping issues right now are the worst!

dknywinnie

• Music for Life
« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2021, 06:28 pm »
What are the differences between LGK 1.0 and LGK 2.0?

tortoiseman2542

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2021, 06:48 pm »
They arrive in the port of NY in a few days. How long it takes to get unloaded and sent to us is another story. Shipping issues right now are the worst!

I do IT project work for the second largest logistics company in the world. There is so much stuff sitting it’s crazy. Severe container availability shortages lead to product sitting. Driver shortages lead to product sitting that is here. It’s crazy.

Robert

Skilly

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2021, 12:46 am »
For those who are not familiar with the LGK 1.0. Here is a link to a nice review Ron at New Record Day did some time ago.
https://youtu.be/Efku5oMo0nY

The LGK 1.0 is gone and not to be replicated. Instead, years ago, Danny decided to Replace the LGK 1.0 with the LGK 2.0. Danny set new performance parameters and  specifications. The supplier (Peerless of India) of the single driver speaker has had difficulty meetings those requirements and further had production issues to return the finished product to GR Research. The rumor is that a limited number of the drivers were delivered and that there are proto-type "LGK 2.0" Units in the hands of a few persons. We believe that the box plans for the LGK 1.0 are not the best match for this driver. We do not know what design will be recommended. The speaker is ideal for near-field listening. These would compete with the desktop minis, in theory. That's about all I have read about it thus far.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2021, 01:22 am »
They will need smaller cabinets than the original LGK1.0 did, but they also have a much better response, especially on the top, end where the originals were a little choppy.
The trick will be getting the volume and port tuned just right.

I created a design that looked like jet engine and it measured quite well, but it needs some design changes, but it also took forever to 3D print.. so I'm going to look into something a simpler to design/print. lol

Plus they look like miniature NQ woofers with a tiny copper phase plug.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2021, 07:52 am »
They will need smaller cabinets than the original LGK1.0 did, but they also have a much better response, especially on the top, end where the originals were a little choppy.

I created a design that looked like jet engine and it measured quite well, but it needs some design changes, but it also took forever to 3D print.. so I'm going to look into something a simpler to design/print. lol

Awesome.  Sign me up for 8!  I'm all in on these.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2021, 02:19 pm »

If the performance of the new drivers exceed the original that’s really going to be something. I had thr originals at the Lone Star Audio Fest three different years and everybody who heard them had to pick their jaw up off the floor.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2021, 03:07 pm »

Couldn’t the current cabinets be made shorter to get the proper internal volume? Or if you want to keep the height for tweeter position, add a solid brace to reduce the internal volume?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2021, 03:56 pm »
Couldn’t the current cabinets be made shorter to get the proper internal volume? Or if you want to keep the height for tweeter position, add a solid brace to reduce the internal volume?

I'm sure there are things that could be done to adjust the original cabinets volume as they only require 0.11 cubic feet of airspace, but they also need smaller ports that are 1" diameter and 3" deep.

Skilly

« Reply #16 on: 16 Nov 2021, 04:34 pm »
That is so small you may have a tough time getting your crossover parts in alongside the port. The crossover has maybe two, or three parts tops, I would think. .11 Cubic feet of space? It will be the size of the old Bose Accoustimass pods?  I wonder if the port has to be rear firing? Perhaps a down firing port might be interesting?

Skilly

« Reply #17 on: 16 Nov 2021, 04:57 pm »
I am confident that smarter minds than mine are working on this but, unless I am doing this wrong, that means about 4.5 X 4.5 x 10 inches, after calculating the space for bracing. And the old box was 4.5 X 7 X 12 inches. Since Horizontal off axis can be an issue it seems like a stand would be required for it on a desk top. If great depth is needed one would have to reduce the height. So maybe 4.5 X 6.5 X 7 inches?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 16 Nov 2021, 07:25 pm »
Internal volume is 4x6.25x7.5 with 1/2 inch MDF for the walls.
And we do intend on including a stand built into the cabinet that will raise it up by another 5 inches or so.

We plan to have the port down firing within the stand section

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2021, 12:11 am »
Here is the measured on axis response in one of our test boxes and with the step loss correction circuit.

And the spectral decay.