NX STUDIO BUILD

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

NX STUDIO BUILD
« on: 17 Aug 2021, 06:40 pm »
The overall build of this project, was probably not achieved, in the typical sequence, most kit builders would have approached.
I didn't have my cabinet glued up and assembled for a while. The reason being, I wanted to take plenty of measurements inside and out, document and use for various task, down the line.

For example I wanted one piece of NoRez on all sides, not little pieces for a clean appearance, for me! Therefore, I traced out and transferred lines on the NoRez. Cutting pieces precisely, to my satisfaction. I also knew I was using grill fastners, for attaching my crossover boards. Another reason for delay, I needed to trail fit NoRez inside cabinet, to see what space was available, to determine crossover board size. I also determined I was going to balance the cabinet, to benefit me later, so when I move south, living in humid conditions, no potential side effects will present itself to the MDF cabinet. Therefore, I sealed all internal cabinet walls.

Another delay, was designing a speaker grill for the NX-STUDIO. At the time of my build, no one had fabricated grills for STUDIO'S. This was another task, that required a unassembled speaker cabinet. Something else was the wire management aspect of this build. My train of thought,  experiement, drilling holes for the BXI Panel design. (Ref. photo's) We all know by now, I favored the BXI, versus the NoRez on the top Ramp area.

I'm sure there were other details considered as well, besides what is listed above. The project build payed huge dividends for me personally, simply by having patience, and proper planning. After all this was my first speaker build.

In Summary, I'm very pleased with the overall results of the build, and the speakers sound remarkable!   

BEST PIECE OF ADVICE I CAN SUGGEST TO ANYONE BUILDING NX STUDIO'S, WATCH PETERJ'S YOUTUBE VIDEO ON ASSEMBLING THE CABINET.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrdScf9eyM&t=1819s

Flat pack and a few supplies for build project. Hondurous Rosewood veneer is laying under the flatpack

Crossover Board

Crossover board with fastners I've attached to bottom of speaker cabinet and Crossover board, for easy convienent removal.

Accurate layout for drilling the crossover board and the speaker cabinet bottom, will pay dividends, avoiding misalignment. Which in return could break clip fastners. I've heard of others, who tried this method, attaching crossover boards to their speaker cabinet bottom, and had issues with fastners snapping off. I suspect the cause, was from drilling misalignment, between the two boards. If there is any slight offset between male and female fastners, while trying to connect the two boards, of course you will snap fastners everytime. I do have a solution for beginners though. (Refer to tip below)

EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T NEED TO DO THIS PROCESS BELOW, I THOUGHT PERHAPS, IT MAY BENEFIT OTHERS, TO DO THIS TASK. :thumb:

(Tip) if your not good with calibrating precise drill points,here is another way to approach proper alignment of male / Female grill fastners. 

1.) Align exactly where you want the crossover board to be positioned on the bottom of the speaker cabinet. Take a piece of tape and place ontop of crossover board, this will now be designated as the topside of your crossover board. Very important later on. Also tape the desinated outside bottom of speaker cabinet board as well. Although it should be obvious. I want who ever, to be conscientious, not to drill the on the wrong sides of boards.

2.) Attach clamps to secure the crossover board and speaker cabinet bottom together, to their designated postion.

3.) Mark the top of the crossover board, where you want fastners positioned. I located mine near the 4 corners. (Shown in photo examples above)

4.) After you determine where you want your fastners, now your ready to drill 4 small pilot holes, for perfect alignment.
Use either a 1/32" or 1/16" Drill bit. ((VERY IMPORTANT)) Measure the thickness of both crossover board and bottom speaker cabinet, you want to drill through the crossover board, (but not through the speaker cabinet bottom. Drill a 1/16" depth hole into the speaker cabinet bottom. At this stage, your just need a slight hole in bottom cabinet that now will align wih the crossover. Because you drilled through both boards clamped together.

Now both boards have exact pilot holes, that align accurately. Now you can proceed to the final drilling process. (((BEFORE REMOVING CLAMPS, MAKE SURE TO MARK ON BOTH BOARDS, FRONT / BACK DESIGNATIONS.
Otherwise, you'll have it flipped in reverse, and more than lilely, the boards will not fit, because you have the boards positioned wrong. :nono:

5.) Now you can remove the clamps, turn over crossover board and follow fastner manufactuers suggested hole diameter and depth. Use drill bit sizes the achieve the hole sizes you need. You can use a hand drill, or drill press.  IF YOUR DOING IT WITH HAND DRILL, BE STEADY WITH YOUR DRILLING, TO ACHIEVE A CLEANLY DRILLED HOLE. THIS IS WHERE A DRILL PRESS HAS AN ADVANTAGE, ACCURACY WISE.

6.) DO NOT DRILL THROUGH EITHER CROSSOVER BOARD, OR BOTTOM SPEAKER CABINET AT THIS POINT!!!!
Install all fastners to their locations. (Ref. Photo I provided above)  Note: you can fill the tiny hole on top of crossover board or leave it, up to you.

7.) Snap the two boards together, and enjoy what you accomplished.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: 8 May 2023, 06:25 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Rock Ball

Re: NX STUDIO BUILD
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2021, 11:23 am »
Nice pictures!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2021, 02:03 pm »
The grill fasteners for crossover are a brilliant idea. I'm putting it in my idea bank.

I should point out that if one uses #4 machine screws, washers and inserts for tweeter installation, no modification of tweeter frame is necessary. Either way, a more elegant installation, which warms my heart.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2021, 12:10 am »

I did not finalize tweeter positon leads ( like shown in photo. I wanted purposely to be on top instead.

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2023, 03:13 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

hawkeyejw

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2021, 12:52 am »
Oh wow, that is a great idea! I need to think about that for my upcoming NX-Studio build.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

NX STUDIO
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2021, 01:35 am »

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2023, 03:24 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

jlucas

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2021, 09:15 am »
Does that cross over board fit through the woofer hole in the baffle?  Why so thick?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2021, 04:57 pm »
(Answer to question above)

Yes, the crossover board fits through the lower driver hole, with no problem. The reason for the thickness of board is to accomodate the depth of the grill fastner clips. Plus, the weight of all the crossover components is heavy, and could cause twist, potentially in removal, at least with thin crossover boards. In my case it's a non-issue. The crossover board will not resonate either, because the components ontop, and the deadning material I'm applying will resolve resonant vibrations. All four sides of crossover board when fitting in cabinet, slightly compress slightly into the NoRez. Designed and fabricated this way intentionally, as well.

IMO, It's safe to say, this crossover board & bottom of cabinet are not going to have issue with resonance. At least the bottom of cabinet anyways.
As a drummer, I've learned a few things regarding resonance characteristics, good and bad. With drum shells, we want them to resonate, unlike speaker cabinets!   

« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2023, 03:16 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #8 on: 9 Sep 2021, 09:39 pm »

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2023, 03:27 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 9 Sep 2021, 10:44 pm »
I typically applaud innovation, but it looks like the flanges on those inserts might be slightly above plane of the baffle. If that's true it might present a problem as the driver needs to sit on an absolutely flat baffle to seal with it's minimal gasket. Were it a vented speaker, it wouldn't be as critical.

Also, how does the grill frame clear the woofer perimeter?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #10 on: 9 Sep 2021, 10:47 pm »

I decided not to have the radius exposed on speaker cabinet front with grills on, therefore, I fabricated the frames to be flush with the outside of cabinet.

I repositioned it to look like this for final layout design. Notice their is space between frame and the driver now.

« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2023, 06:51 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2021, 02:25 pm »
Roger that. I'm familiar with the product you used although I might have chosen a non-flanged variant. In the end, if you got them to sit flush, you're golden. Wasn't picking nits, but wanted to point out a potential area of concern for folks that want to do similar.

Perhaps a photo of grill from a different perspective would show folks how, (I'm assuming), you stood it off the surface to clear woofer frame.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2021, 06:01 pm »
Yes, the grill will be 3/8" standing off from the woofer's furthest exursion point. so the drive will not hit grill cloth, when in motion.
Diffraction is minimal since were only talking 3/8" difference.  After many hours of listening, the difference with grills on and off is hardly noticable. In regards to my efforts building these grills for added protection, and enhancing the appearance visually, I could'nt be more satisfied. Plus it's an investment option, that will enhance resale value with your NX-STUDIO's.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2023, 03:21 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2021, 07:33 pm »
Peter had a good suggestion above, regarding alternative hardware too, for attachment of tweeter. I already was commited or I would have used his suggestion.

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2023, 03:39 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:15 pm »
I use the flange model on some builds but I use a Forstner bit first to cut a counterboqQ

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #15 on: 10 Sep 2021, 10:42 pm »
Had a little fun with a different approach with building my crossover set up.

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2023, 03:43 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

jlucas

« Reply #16 on: 12 Sep 2021, 11:44 pm »

petemoss

« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2021, 11:29 pm »
I would love to see those photos.

Skilly

« Reply #18 on: 14 Sep 2021, 01:36 am »
Photos, What photos?

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2021, 12:49 am »
My approach to securing my large copper foil inductor.

« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2023, 03:33 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »