Warning - Noob Question: Amp for X-LS Encores?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Warning - Noob Question: Amp for X-LS Encores?
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2021, 09:50 pm »
You might also try the Odyssey Audio amps. Made in the USA and are excellent sounding SS amps.

mkrawcz

« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2021, 10:11 pm »
Schitt Freya+ and Benchmark AHB2 would be a really nice combo.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:50 am »
With an input sensitivity of 0.38v it will reach clipping with most modern sources way before the volume control is anywhere near "full volume". Many people don't hear distortion in tube amps until it is very high.

:thumb: I hear you on that. I hear it from the moment the music plays and that is what makes it special.... :thumb:

SC

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2021, 03:57 am »
The decision appears to be narrowing down to something I’ve heard, really liked, and is from a US based company, the Schiit Freya+ and a couple Schiit Vidar mono block A+B solid state power amps, and just taking a flyer and trying the Willsenton R8 (even though it is a non-US company amp that was not originally intended to be considered) for the fun of it.

Any considerations that you think might be relevant at this juncture?

The R8 in ultralinear mode at 45wpc would be more then enough for the XLS or the 25wpc in triode mode. You can't go wrong with any of the options mentioned by I have gone from SS to the R8 and it is really good at opening up the sound stand and vocals and guitars (that Danny's designs are renowned for) are next level. You can achieve that with SS but $$$$. :)
Good luck.
SC

tc2007

• Industry Participant
    • CNC cut DIY speaker cabinet parts
« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2021, 01:02 am »
I just built my XLS Encore and using it on a Denon DRA-X800H which is a network streamer + 100WX2 stereo amp in one.

It sounds wonderful and I am no audiophile so I don't know how much of a difference a more powerful and cleaner amp would sound.

If I had to sell this and buy something else, I would try an Emotiva BasX amplifier. They are an American company and I think they are built in USA. Emotiva has a bang for your buck type of reputation.

WarmColors

« Reply #25 on: 22 Aug 2021, 02:51 pm »
The decision appears to be narrowing down to something I’ve heard, really liked, and is from a US based company, the Schiit Freya+ and a couple Schiit Vidar mono block A+B solid state power amps, and just taking a flyer and trying the Willsenton R8 (even though it is a non-US company amp that was not originally intended to be considered) for the fun of it.

Any considerations that you think might be relevant at this juncture?

For what is worth I wanted all my equipment to be made here in the U.S also.
DAC/Preamp. PS Audio Stellar Gaincell
Amp Odyssey Audio extreme with the Kismet addon. I did spent a little over 4k and I am content with my purchase.

Since you have a lot of CD's I would suggest a CD transport from PS Audio to up convert to DSD instead of PCM.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 22 Aug 2021, 05:05 pm »
Amp Odyssey Audio extreme with the Kismet addon. I did spent a little over 4k and I am content with my purchase.

Since you have a lot of CD's I would suggest a CD transport from PS Audio to up convert to DSD instead of PCM.

That is one killer SACD/CD transport. To get the most out of it, connect it to a DAC that can accept I2S input with the PS Audio protocol. With PS Audio gear that would be either the Stellar GainCell DAC, DirectStream Jr. DAC, or DirectStream Sr. DAC. The Jr. is not a current produce so it is only available used.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #27 on: 22 Aug 2021, 07:23 pm »
I would get the Schiit preamp and amps, and call it a day. They will be, IMHO, the best-sounding, best performing (as in, plenty of current to drive your speakers) and...most reliable components you can buy at their price points. They will sound excellent, and...they come with a 5 year warranty. No one else offers a 5 year warranty on their gear. Plus, if you ever upgrade, you can easily sell them on to someone else. I just sold my Schiit Gungnir MB DAC yesterday, and it took all of a day to sell it.

Jay Decker

« Reply #28 on: 22 Aug 2021, 11:57 pm »

Getting close… the nores is cut, the crossovers are almost done, and getting close to final assembly.  Had so much fun with the little X-LSs, already been dreaming about building subwoofers and a set of GR NX towers.

Want to get amps for the X-LSs that are a match performance class-wise, will the X-LSs effectively utilize that higher end kit?

Jay Decker

« Reply #29 on: 23 Aug 2021, 12:14 am »
I would get the Schiit preamp and amps, and call it a day. They will be, IMHO, the best-sounding, best performing (as in, plenty of current to drive your speakers) and...most reliable components you can buy at their price points. They will sound excellent, and...they come with a 5 year warranty. No one else offers a 5 year warranty on their gear. Plus, if you ever upgrade, you can easily sell them on to someone else. I just sold my Schiit Gungnir MB DAC yesterday, and it took all of a day to sell it.

That is pretty much my analysis.  Have three friends who are semi-serious to serious audio guys who are each encouraging me in different directions, one is a tube guy and would love for me to join him, one just got a Crown XLS 2502 (Class D) amp to drive his Magnepan speakers, and the other friend is telling me to just jump in, because the equipment is so good now that after you get above a certain level it all sounds great and it becomes a matter of taste.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2021, 04:41 am by Jay Decker »

Randy

« Reply #30 on: 23 Aug 2021, 12:29 am »
It's pretty simple.  As a couple have suggested, go with Odyssey, which is right here on Audio Circle, directly from the co.  owner, the incomparable Klaus Bunge.    https://odysseyaudio.com/stratos-stereo-amplifier/ or https://odysseyaudio.com/khartago-stereo-amplifier/

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #31 on: 23 Aug 2021, 02:57 am »
Not to be discouraging but tube amps do require some maintenance.  Tubes do eventually go bad or straight up die.  Solid state amps are much more reliable.  Schiit amps are well regarded.  While not US companies, NAD, Rotel, and Rega are also good choices.  Another choice: Outlaw Audio RR2160. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 23 Aug 2021, 05:03 am »
I got listen to the NAD M33 recently, and personally I wasn't a big fan. It was crisp and detailed, but everything in the vocal region and up had a rather hard edge to it, and in some cases, were accentuated to the point of being pretty tough to listen to. Mids were also a bit thin compared to the bass and treble, but that may have also just been due to the speakers design. (Spatial M3 Sapphire)

Really enjoyed the Hegel H390 amp I listened to a little later, tho.
Better balanced, esp in the mids, with the hard edges in the treble rounded off, but without losing any detail in the process.

Lebo

« Reply #33 on: 23 Aug 2021, 04:20 pm »
I have the Schiit Freya+ preamp and the Vidar amp.  I really like it and would do it again.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2021, 04:59 pm »
I tend to prefer class A/B amps.  I believe NAD still makes them.  Of course NAD is more of a budget friendly company.  Still, simple design and functionality.

Jay Decker

« Reply #35 on: 25 Aug 2021, 07:08 pm »
Really enjoyed the Hegel H390 amp I listened to a little later, tho.
Better balanced, esp in the mids, with the hard edges in the treble rounded off, but without losing any detail in the process.

Wow… the H390 looks like it was designed around my streaming interest and aligns with my aesthetic preferences. 

Does the H390 out class the X-LSs performance-wise?

mkrawcz

« Reply #36 on: 25 Aug 2021, 11:31 pm »
Wow… the H390 looks like it was designed around my streaming interest and aligns with my aesthetic preferences. 

The Encores are at the retail equivalent of $3,500 bookshelf speakers (maybe a little better) performance wise, so I doubt the Hagel outclasses them.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 26 Aug 2021, 02:20 am »
I listened to the Hegel H390 on both my X-Statiks and some odd looking pair of $13,000 speakers back to back. My fully upgraded X-Statiks had no issues keeping up in terms of soundstage & imaging.

The one major difference was that the there was more depth behind the speakers on the Statiks, while the other towers only played from the speakers forward. The X-statiks were also a little more coherent since the drivers are closer together.

I wouldn't have any qualms about pairing an X-LS with the Hegel. They're a solid match.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2021, 04:52 pm »

I've paired the X-LS Encores with upgraded crossovers with amp/DAC combos costing from $700 to $19,000 and they always delivered higher levels of performance with higher performing gear.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #39 on: 27 Aug 2021, 01:20 am »

No. The H390 is a good choice and alternative to the Schiit recommendations.