Single Servo Sub Kit 4 with X-statiks

ddobanion

Single Servo Sub Kit 4 with X-statiks
« on: 8 Aug 2021, 10:36 pm »
May have an opportunity to pick up an assembled single servo sub kit 4 to use with a pair of Xstatiks in my 14x12 listening room.  Really can't see myself going to the expense of adding a second pair of subs.  Looking for advice as to whether one set of the subs is worth the expense.

Thanks

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Single Servo Sub Kit 4 with X-statiks
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2021, 02:37 am »
Open baffle servo subs are 100% woth every penny, even a single tower placed in the middle of a room is going to be worlds better than even 2 sealed servo subs.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2021, 01:56 pm »
Open baffle servo subs are 100% woth every penny, even a single tower placed in the middle of a room is going to be worlds better than even 2 sealed servo subs.
Hobbs, have you actually compared the sealed subs to OB in the same room? 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2021, 02:15 pm »
Sure.
I have a pair of Dual 8" U-Frame servo sub stands, and a single 12" sealed servo sub which I've listened to in two different living rooms.

The sealed sub, generally speaking, can play louder and deeper but are also more likely to sound boomy. While the OB stands have much more texture and speed.

In a smaller room, a single H-frame is more than plenty. And still leaves plenty of room for the X-Statiks on either side.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2021, 05:22 pm »
I will concede that it's not a perfect comparison as the servo stands are more omni-directional than the H-Frames which have a Figure-8 radiation pattern, and that will greatly help with output and low end extension.
My servo stands work best in a narrow/small room with a little reinforcement from side walls, in my current living room, that's not possible, so I loose some low end extension, but it still wins in terms of overall speed/detail.

ddobanion

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2021, 08:54 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I've heard the open baffle subs at Lone Star Audio Fest and they are special.  A little concerned about the diminutive size of my listening room.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2021, 11:37 pm »
Room size shouldn't be an issue so long as you can get them 3-4 ft away from the front wall. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2021, 12:52 am »

In a smaller room, a single H-frame is more than plenty. And still leaves plenty of room for the X-Statiks on either side.
That's exactly the rig I have in my smaller room.  And it's worked very well.  One of these days, I'll build another servo sub since I picked up an early Rythmic amp, and it's just sitting.  Since it was built before the OB units, I wonder if it would do OB well, or if I'd be better off building a single sealed unit. 

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2021, 01:15 am »
That's exactly the rig I have in my smaller room.  And it's worked very well.  One of these days, I'll build another servo sub since I picked up an early Rythmic amp, and it's just sitting.  Since it was built before the OB units, I wonder if it would do OB well, or if I'd be better off building a single sealed unit.
Rythmik servo sub amps have to be modified for OB.  You should contact Brian at Rythmik to figure out which one you have.  It’s likely not the OB version.  A single sealed servo sub is still a beast and will work well.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2021, 02:46 am »
Rythmik servo sub amps have to be modified for OB.  You should contact Brian at Rythmik to figure out which one you have.  It’s likely not the OB version.  A single sealed servo sub is still a beast and will work well.

Correct, without the pressure of a sealed/ported box, the stock amp would over/under correct the response of the woofers.
It's something that needs to be changed within the amp itself that has to be changed before it can be used in an OB setting.

Same goes for switching between 120/240V mains. It needs a different fuse depending on the final application. (This may be different for retail versions tho)