New member interested in home theater, 2 ch, and headphones

Bobby Bass

Hi all.
I found this site by researching Spatial Audio M3 speakers. I am considering M3's for a 2 channel system. I heard them at Linear Tube Audio and really liked them.

Whichever 2 ch system I build, I'd like to incorporate it into my current 7.2 home theater system.

I'm also dabbling in headphones. ZMF, Focal, and Hifimanare current favorite manufacturers.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Any experience with HifiMan Arya ?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Greetings & Welcome to AC Bobby   :thumb:

Phil A

Welcome!

Bobby Bass

Welcome to AC  :thumb:
Any experience with HifiMan Arya ?
I owned and loved the Ananda.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to audition an Arya. While there are many glowing reviews by Arya-only owners, I've heard from several people in Discord chats who upgraded from Ananda to Arya that the improvement was small. However the price jump is not so small...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
This site tested both and seems the Arya have a larger soundstage:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/hifiman/arya
The HiFiMan Arya have a remarkable passive soundstage. Their soundstage is perceived as wide, spacious, and as if your audio is coming from speakers placed around you rather than from inside your head.

PRTF Accuracy (Std. Dev.) 3.16 dB
PRTF Size (Avg.) 6.56 dB
PRTF Distance 15.53 dB
Openness 9.7
Acoustic Space Excitation 10

Update 07/14/2021:
Due to user feedback, we decided to subjectively compare the HiFiMan Arya and HiFiMan Ananda's passive soundstage. Our objective test uses an HMS (or Head Measurement System) and an extra dummy ear with the pinna removed to measure the headphones' PRTF (pinna-related transfer function). For more information on our Passive Soundstage test, you can check out our test article here. During our subjective listening, we found both headphones to perform closely to one another, although the Arya felt a bit more open and spacious than the Ananda. However, it's hard to qualify the difference between the headphones as they don't have the same impedance or sensitivity, so it's more challenging to volume-match them. Individuals can have personal preferences which are informed by their unique head and ear shape, as well as their nasal and oral cavity. As a result, the scoring of this box hasn't changed.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
For an HP to be able replace the big speakers that occupy our rooms, its sound stage must be very large as the HD800 I think, I have compared the Edition X(awful name), Ananda and Arya PTRF chart and surprising they are hard to compare.

Another unpleasant thing about HifiMan are these weird names of their phones like Edition X, Ananda, Sundara, Susvara etc it makes difficult to buyers assimilate his products, this is one of the things I really dont understand about HifiMan.