wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
Re: NX Studios: First Time Builder
« Reply #20 on: 2 Aug 2021, 01:54 am »
WOW, Very beautiful.

Fltguy

« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2021, 03:51 pm »
My thanks to E-Zee for assembling an elegant set of crossovers for this project.

I modified with Duelund Ag and Cu bypass caps, VCAP Odom caps, Path Audio resistors and GR’s optional foil inductors in search of sonic excellence…We’ll see very soon.

Next up, No-Rez installation.

Argoncat

« Reply #22 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:14 am »
Great looking network..  Will be a shame to hide it inside a sealed box...  Almost makes me think of building a Plexiglass rear compartment to show off the guts..

Why did you go VCap ODAM over Copper Foil caps on the tweeter? 

jlucas

« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:42 am »
How are you guys securing those boards in the bottom of the cabinets?

Fltguy

« Reply #24 on: 31 Aug 2021, 11:54 am »
Great looking network..  Will be a shame to hide it inside a sealed box...  Almost makes me think of building a Plexiglass rear compartment to show off the guts..

Why did you go VCap ODAM over Copper Foil caps on the tweeter?

My decision was not terribly technical. The VCAP was small and it received great deal of positive/great reviews across several forums. As a first timer, it's my hope that I made an informed decision.

I am about to find out very soon.

Fltguy

« Reply #25 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:01 pm »

That is something I am still debating about. The choices are to use one or two dollop(s) of clear silicone in an effort to effectively stick it to the bottom of the cabinet. The second option is to use one 3/4" drywall screw, inserted at an angle to fasten the birch board to the cabinet base.

mkrawcz

« Reply #26 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:17 pm »
My decision was not terribly technical. The VCAP was small and it received great deal of positive/great reviews across several forums. As a first timer, it's my hope that I made an informed decision.

I am about to find out very soon.
Don’t worry, you made a perfect decision. I’ve had the stock setup, Copper caps, now VCAPs in my Studios. The VCAPs are the best to me. There are probably a couple copper cap brands out there that are just as good like the Duelunds, but the price goes up exponentially with size due to the huge amount of copper needed. Also the large size of those caps will take up too much cubic space in the enclosure and affect the frequency response of the speaker.

Fltguy

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:36 pm »
Spent all day fitting and trimming No-Rez inside the speaker box.

First, I made templates for each piece of cut No-Rez. Simple cardboard in conjunction with some measurements that were posted in previous build logs made for several hours of busy work.

Cutting and trimming with a sharp utility knife, my wife's new rolling cutter from her sewing supply made for a long, but successful day. Always using a sharp blade provided very few tear outs of the foam material.

One minor brain fade, I found out that reversing the template for a mirror image cut was important. Fortunately, I purchased an additional sheet of No-Rez initially. My efforts for near perfection forced me to cut into my third sheet. "Stuff happens"

Attention to detail and watching Peter's No-Rez install video made this a very straight forward install.

Fltguy

« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2021, 12:46 pm »
This morning, before anything else, I had to fit the the drivers.

I am very happy with the visual appearance of these bad boys.

Next up, installing and wiring the crossovers.

RonP

« Reply #29 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:20 pm »

wow! looking top notch!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #30 on: 31 Aug 2021, 02:31 pm »
The Studios are worthy of such a finish. Great job!

Definitely makes me wish I would have spent more time on the finish as I was wanting to see how they sounded and so hurried a bit.

mkrawcz

« Reply #31 on: 31 Aug 2021, 10:11 pm »
This morning, before anything else, I had to fit the the drivers.

Next up, installing and wiring the crossovers.
Am I seeing weird shading in your picture or do you have yarn in every hole of the tweeter?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 1 Sep 2021, 02:30 am »

I use screws with hard rubber washers under the board. I drill pilot holes through the board where I want the screws to go. Then I super glue hard rubber washers that in get in the plumbing repair isle to the underside of the board where the screw holes are using super glue gel. I also glue additional washers under the board if needed for support.

I like Spax screws since they cut their own pilot hole. A flex shaft screwdriver is handy when installing the crossovers.

EdwardT

« Reply #33 on: 1 Sep 2021, 12:48 pm »
They are beautifully made. You should be very pleased.

Fltguy

« Reply #34 on: 13 Sep 2021, 07:34 pm »
Am I seeing weird shading in your picture or do you have yarn in every hole of the tweeter?

There is yarn in the tweeter at the extremes as received from GR. I will have to make the yarn neater as I continue the burn in. Currently, hour 75 of the search for sonic excellence.