NX Studios: First Time Builder

Fltguy

NX Studios: First Time Builder
« on: 19 Jun 2021, 08:33 pm »
Just completed the box build of my NX Studios. Odie's Oil on an African Mahogany veneer. Two part automotive paint on the front. Overall, very happy with the flat pack from Jay and the veneering portion of the project. Now, I await the internals of the speaker.

« Last Edit: 20 Jun 2021, 11:58 am by Fltguy »

Tomy2Tone

Re: First Time NX Build
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2021, 09:06 pm »
Beautiful! Great job on the paint and veneer choice!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2021, 09:06 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous work!  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2021, 10:28 pm »
They look great! Let us know how they sound once you get them finished up.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2021, 11:48 pm »
Beautiful work.

Allumnus

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2021, 12:59 am »
They look so nice and very professional.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

Re: NX Studios: First Time Builder
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2021, 11:44 pm »
Beautiful work,
It is inspiring for me working on my NX Studio Speakers. I'm finishing mine in Honduras Rosewood Veneer.

Again great job!

Argoncat

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2021, 11:22 am »
Fantastic work, love Odie's Oil..  Which of their oils did you use?  As a NX-Studio user for the last year or so, I can highly recommend upgraded crossover network parts over the already darn good stock kit.  This little speaker will reward the investment for sure..  Check out user Hobbsmeerkat posts on his network parts upgrade for the gold-standard...

Chewbacca

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jul 2021, 12:54 pm »
Wow... Great work Fltguy!

What exactly did you do for your two part automovite paint in the front? I'm looking for a similar finish on the whole cabinet of my Oticas... which are glued up as of yesterday! :green:

Fltguy

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2021, 01:19 am »
Thank you.

This forum has been amazing for ideas. I am not original, but I do follow directions. Argoncat's build planted the seed for my finish.

The paint on the baffle is from Spray MAX that I ordered from Amazon.

Initially, three coats of 2K rapid filler gray primer with sanding between coats before spraying three coats of Spray MAX 2K hot rod satin black. I absolutely love the low luster. I may have gotten carried away with the cosmetic portion of the build as I await the kit portion from GR. 

Odie's Dark Oil was applied three times before moving on to the wood butter. Three applications later, I moved on to Odie's Wax. Two applications of wax seemed sufficient.

Since completing the boxes, I purchased Path Audio Resistors and Duelund bypass caps. The NX kit delivery is delayed for Sonicaps.

« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2021, 01:35 am by Fltguy »

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2021, 12:02 am »
Simply stunning. They look better than retail speakers. Great work.

SC

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2021, 12:03 am »
Question for FITGUY, or anyone with successful veneering results on NX STUDIO'S,

What was your sequence for veneering the cabinet.  For example, did you veneer 1st) veneer the bottom,2nd) the sides,3rd) the back of cabinet, and lastly edge band the top of cabinet? Should I assume, you painted the front baffle, after applying all the veneer to cabinet?

Just trying to get a good handle on what you did, since your speakers turned out so nice. Hoping to have excellent results with my project build as well.

Note: If anyone else wishes to provide some input, suggestions welcomed as well.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2021, 12:46 am »

The paint on the baffle is from Spray MAX that I ordered from Amazon.

Initially, three coats of 2K rapid filler gray primer with sanding between coats. I successively sanded up to 2000 grit before spraying three coats of Spray MAX 2K hot rod satin black.

Really nice job making a clean looking set!  :thumb: Good call on the Spraymax too. Hopefully you were wearing a respirator when you were working with it. Also if anyone chooses to go down the same road, you only want to sand up to 600 before applying color. I sell automotive paint and have long wondered why more people don't paint speakers. If anybody gets any wild ideas from this to paint speakers, feel free to send me a pm and I'll walk you through the process to make it look better than pro.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2021, 01:58 am »
Question for FITGUY, or anyone with successful veneering results on NX STUDIO'S,

What was your sequence for veneering the cabinet.  For example, did you veneer 1st) veneer the bottom,2nd) the sides,3rd) the back of cabinet, and lastly edge band the top of cabinet? Should I assume, you painted the front baffle, after applying all the veneer to cabinet?

Just trying to get a good handle on what you did, since your speakers turned out so nice. Hoping to have excellent results with my project build as well.

Note: If anyone else wishes to provide some input, suggestions welcomed as well.

My sequence would be bottom>back>sides>top.

Fltguy

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2021, 12:06 pm »
I watched Peter's video on veneering speakers. That video helped, immensely. Thank you Peter.

I did use edge banding on all four sides of the speaker baffle. This essentially raised the baffle to the same level as the speaker's veneered sides. I did not want the veneer to stand proud of the baffle.

Utilizing SprayMax 2K required a respirator and three days of nice weather for painting outdoors. This was my first experience with a two part spray paint. The spray cans cost $25 each. I rationalized it as a one time learning experience. I am very pleased with the results.

A UPS notice alerts me to an NX delivery from GR Research for tomorrow. My next set of challenges await, NoRez installation and crossover assembly. :o

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jul 2021, 01:23 am »
Guess that means you were one of the 4 kits we were able to get out the door cuz weve been stuck waiting on Sonicaps for weeks and got just enough to get 4 good pairs. :P
Thankfully we got a ton more coming this week with more to follow soon.

And I think there's enough woofers for 10 kits to go out next once those caps arrive.
I think were still a few weeks out for the next shipment of NQ woofers.
Its been super tough to get these woofers on a ship.

Hattrick17

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2021, 05:34 pm »
How do these translate your mixes?

Fltguy

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2021, 12:50 pm »
Yesterday, UPS delivered my NX Studio kit that includes the upgraded foil inductors by Bridgeport.

Christmas in July.

Unpacking the good stuff.

« Last Edit: 4 Aug 2021, 02:02 am by Fltguy »

mkrawcz

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2021, 01:49 pm »
Looks like your weekend is booked!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2021, 04:45 am »
We got just enough Sonicaps last week to get 4 Studios out the door, we've got the remaining 9 pairs of woofers packed and waiting for our next batch of Sonicaps which should help massively with Studios and Minis that have been waiting for a while now.

Enjoy the journey!