Links for X-LS Encore burn in threads?

1OldRocker

Links for X-LS Encore burn in threads?
« on: 15 Jun 2021, 11:32 pm »
Hi,
New here and can't search yet! I was looking for info on burn in of the X-LS Encore in particular and crossover parts in general. Can anyone provide some links to some threads on this? I'd appreciate it, thanks in advance!
Tom

Shives

• I like French fries
Re: Links for X-LS Encore burn in threads?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2021, 01:29 am »
Welcome to the forums!

So, it think it’s the suggestion to play the speakers for about an hour. If you play some pink noise/static at lower dB in a room while your gone it helps.. but about 100 hours give or take.

Nice speakers!!! Post up some photos of your build, we like to see. Also, tip.. if your going to ask crossover questions of post your crossovers (again we like photos) make sure you cross-out the values. Thanks!

Welcome, have fun! Ask questions.. provide details. Everyone will do their best!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2021, 01:36 am »
Don't know if there are specific links for this topic. I have found the bass to be very shy for the first 24 hours. The majority of the break in seems to be done by 50 hours. Subtle changes will continue after that depending on the crossover components used. If you go with the Sonicaps you can expect improvement up to about 100 hours.

To speed this up I let the speakers play continuously for 48 hours varying the type of music and volume level. Then turn the system off overnight. The next day I turn them back on for 24 hours, off overnight, then back on for 24 more hours. At night the volume is very low so it doesn't bother anybody.

Another way to play the speakers without bothering anybody is to set the speakers close and facing each other. Reverse the polarity on one of the speakers and throw a blanket over them. This has them playing out of phase and cancelling out most of the output but giving everything a good workout just the same.

1OldRocker

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2021, 10:57 pm »
Thanks for the info Shives & mlundy57, I'm pretty new to higher end audio. I'll try to pay attention for the changes in sound as I run them. As you say, the bass seems kinda thin but not terrible. I won't be posting pics of these as they are just the absolute base model finished, (or un-finished!), in MDF! They came out quite nice but I'm not sure how I want to finish them.

My plan is to break 'em in and get real familiar with the sound and then put in all the upgrades and compare. If I'm impressed, (I'm guessing I probably will be) I would like to build a pair of NX-Otica's with all the bells and whistles. If I can afford it, that is! 

Until then I will play these a lot and Listen for changes, compare them to to other speakers I own, now that I have a ball park idea of how long to break them in. Thanks again for the help!

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2021, 12:53 pm »
Just make sure that you set them up as intended.

Thin on bass? Hummmm well, please trust and understand that you could have used duck-tape... Nobody is going to point a finger. Everyone likes to help!

Best way is with photos. I think the 3 DB down is around 55Hz and they do hit good. I’m curious on how you have the positioned and how far from a wall?

Again, please don’t feel you need to post million dollar examples.. it’s really about sound first! Not looks! So again, many here can give some tips and ideas as to how to improve. When your ready of course! Welcome, good luck! And turn it up!

Shives!

1OldRocker

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2021, 11:20 pm »
After more listening... I have to retract my statement! I spent a couple hours listening to some better recordings, even some electronic music with some subsonic frequencies and the bass is quite good. I'm used to listening to a pair of Polk LS-90 floor standers and two 12" subs... can't expect bookshelf speakers to compare with that kind of bass!

I have the speakers well away from the wall, probably 7 or 8 feet. I don't have a dedicated listening room but I can make do for now. I set up a couple TV tables to put the speakers on and have some painters tape on the floor to keep them in a consistent position. I sit at ear level with the speakers.

As I said, I'm still learning to really listen to the qualities of the music, imaging and sound stage. I've been listening to outdated equipment and old speakers pushed against the wall for decades. I want to hear how good music can sound - within reason and within my budget!

Hmm... duct tape... that might be a cool look for my speakers!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2021, 03:20 am »
This will help a lot.

https://youtu.be/CyTkwkK8ON0

fsdaron

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2021, 12:24 pm »
My xls encore bass is overpowering. Stuffed the ports with socks.  Better