Streamer Service You Can Customize

Mag

Streamer Service You Can Customize
« on: 5 Mar 2021, 05:54 pm »
  I resisted Streaming for as long as I could. But having listened to my Favorites a million times I'm looking for new music the suits my taste.

I've been using Stingray which their Playlists have been fine for Trance music. But when I try their other Playlists such a Pop. I can't seem to find one that doesn't insert crap songs into the mix, sometimes 3 or 4 songs in a row that I cannot delete. I found Amazon to be similar except that I was able to create a Playlist of my own liking.

1. I want a Service that allows my to listen, browse songs then be able to add song to my Playlist if I like it.
2. Has to be CD quality.
3. Huge collection of songs.
4. Easy to use on a PC.
5. Be able to randomize playback.
6. Cost not more than subscription to Netflix, $16 CDN

That's all I can think of at the moment. :smoke:

Mag

Re: Streamer Service You Can Customize
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2021, 08:59 pm »
  Okay thanks for the feedback!

I decided to go with Amazon Prime HD for $13 CDN. I had trouble finding My Playlist from the Trial version, but I found it under the headphone icon.

Have to say it sounds very good, better than my same or comparable albums/songs.

Most likely will cancel Netflix as I don't want to pay for that and Prime. :smoke:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2021, 12:40 am »
I've been using TIDAL for a few years now, and haven't paid much attention to the competition. Please, follow up with your Amazon Prime HD likes and dislikes in a couple weeks so that I can get a feel for it.

Enjoy!

Michael

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2021, 01:06 am »
I've been using TIDAL for a few years now, and haven't paid much attention to the competition. Please, follow up with your Amazon Prime HD likes and dislikes in a couple weeks so that I can get a feel for it.

Enjoy!

Michael

I have to say the sound quality is impressive, better than my doctored recordings. I have a Fiber-optics connection so that may also be a factor.

Have 200 songs in my Playlist. Divided into Hard Rock, My Picks, from various playlists. At the moment however I'm playing from the Songs Playlist. Which has all the songs from my other Playlists together. It plays Randomly, haven't been able to deselect Random mode. There must be a trick to it that I haven't figured out. :scratch:

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2021, 04:51 pm »
   Checked out the offerings for Classical and Jazz. I don't think Amazon's selection is comprehensive from what I can see at least there is some content but still lacking. Don't know how this compares with other Streaming services.

Discovered what sounded like Classical Rap, interesting. Also figured out the Random play icon, it simply turns blue when On and white when Off. I thought it should switch to two parallel arrows like the Media Player I use.

That's it for now. :smoke:

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2021, 06:05 pm »
I've also been using Tidal for years until today, I just ended my subscription and I am now a Qobuz subscriber and not looking back. I did the Qobuz 30 day free trial and in the first hour 4 weeks ago of A-Beeing between Tidal and Qobuz, it only took minutes and I knew I was done with Tidal. Qubuz blows Tidal sound quality away, with bigger, fatter, clearer, deeper, dynamic Hi-rez and more analog sound and $90 a year cheaper and from what I read, Qobuz pays artist the most of all and Tidal is at #7. Spent 7 hours listening last night and I can't get enough because Qobuz sounds soooo good!
And I had 41 playlist on Tidal with around 850 songs on each and I used Soundiiz Platform to Platform to transfer over and it worked slick! Understand Quboz has about 90% of what I had on Tidal but I will trade sound quality for quantity everyday.
My 2 cents.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2021, 06:16 pm »
   Checked out the offerings for Classical and Jazz. I don't think Amazon's selection is comprehensive from what I can see at least there is some content but still lacking. Don't know how this compares with other Streaming services.

Discovered what sounded like Classical Rap, interesting. Also figured out the Random play icon, it simply turns blue when On and white when Off. I thought it should switch to two parallel arrows like the Media Player I use.

That's it for now. :smoke:

I was a little quick judging Amazon Prime HD lacking selection, the Search tool is your friend. Typing in a Band's name plus album you will get a selection of their albums. The band 'Tool' for example I got damn near everyone of their albums. Or another example 'Deep Purple albums' I got a good selection but most important 'Made in Japan 25th anniversary' is there. Even Ted Nugent albums, Great Gonzos which is not the best recording sounded better to me than I recall it sounding.

So my opinion of Amazon Prime HD has changed to positive now that I have found a good selection of albums using 'Search'.

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 11 Sep 2021, 05:12 am »
Found that I can import my music files to the Amazon player. So I tried importing my usb stick with 173 gigs. Combined with the songs I've added with Amazon Playlists I selected, I have 2339 songs loaded to play for approx. 2 months without a repeat, then it should switch to Autoplay.

At first I didn't think it worked because I didn't see a separate playlist or folder. But by just going to Songs in the Amazon library it loads it all. Many of my songs or tracks aren't labeled, just band or artists, so it lists these songs as unknown.

So I can have my stereo playing non-stop even when I'm not home, to discourage burglars, thinking I'm home. But the power bill will go up significantly. :smoke:
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2021, 12:38 am by Mag »

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 7 Mar 2023, 03:45 am »
  A feature I really like about Amazon HD, being able to play my song Collection from a Flash Drive. I find this under Albums or I can also load it from under Songs. I don't have my Flash Drive songs all named so it shows up as Unknown.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 7 Mar 2023, 10:41 am »
I've tried all three, Amazon, Tidal, and Qobuz.  Tidal was the easiest to cut, with MQA they should pay me to listen.  Amazon was fine, but I didn't prefer the interface, and the SQ was ever so slightly better on Qobuz, which I stayed with.  All of my listening is attentive, I don't have background music, so I have no need for a playlist, I just pick each song or selection to listen to.  Tidal worked the best for that and I had to get used to Qobuz, but now it's intuitive and I don't notice any difference.

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2023, 08:59 pm »
I tried Tidal and switched to Qobuz. Excellent quality (everything CD or better), excellent selection, no MQA snake oil, and almost everything on Qobuz I can buy and own to stream locally if I want.

The Qobuz app works very well, but I listen via Roon for the convenience of accessing the music I own together with Qobuz.

I've never considered Amazon HD. It's just one more thing they spun out, but it's not their focus or expertise. Qobuz is purely dedicated to music.

Theronbo

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2023, 12:05 am »
I used Tidal till Apple went lossless.

Browse features… edit playlist on the fly…

Auto generated playlist based on listening habits.

I use it mostly on a theater surround system… L&R through  Krell amp for Stereo. Using Apple TV.

Enjoy music videos some.  I use YouTube also, love watching ‘live’ performances, like Pomplamoose.

I have requested Apple make selection of ‘spatial’ vs stereo versions of songs possible on song by song basis. Currently have to enable in settings….  Several songs I really enjoyed in Stereo sound like crap in Dolby ATMOS. Ie. Frank Sinatra ‘Fly Me To the Moon’ & Iggy A Alda ‘Fancy’….  Then again, Almost every song by Billie Eilish is better in Spatial version.