REVIEW Van Alstine SET 120 Control Amplifier | Part-Time Audiophile

Eric Shook

• Managing Editor, Part-Time Audiophile
    • Part-Time Audiophile

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Nice write up.  :thumb:

avahifi

I am wondering why this rave review has not gotten more attention here.

Eric told me this is the most enthusiastic editor’s choice award he has ever done.

Frank

WGH

I am wondering why this rave review has not gotten more attention here.

Because we are all listening to our AVA gear.  :thumb:

Congratulations, great review!

mr_bill

Outstanding Review!

RonN5

Eric, thanks for an insightful and helpful review... with lots of comparisons of an affordable, great sounding amplifier... and congratulations to avahifi for the really positive review!  Hopefully you will sell a bunch of them!

Gyosa

Fantastic review !

Bk

trebejo

Great review, nice and funny.

I can only imagine the consternation when they realized that there was nowhere to set down the 120 without parking it on top of $omething much bigger, heavier, maybe while the infinitely-gracious host was thinking something along the lines of "Ok I'll humor my colleague, 30 seconds with one of my amps and he'll be OK."

avahifi

The fuses in the AVA SET 120 Control Amplifier

There are two back panel fuses near the speaker terminals.  These are 3 amp quick blow 3AG types used to protect the speakers from accidents such as dropped tone arms or interconnect cable connection failure.

The single fuse close to the AC power cord is the main AC line fuse.  It is a 5 amp slow blow fuse used to protect you and the amp internals from a system fault.

There are two more 3 amp quick blow fuses internally, located on the main power supply board.  These protect the audio circuits from overload and for when speaker fuses that are too big are installed

Frank

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Gosh, with all those fuses just think of the expensive power cord one will have to buy to overcome the loss of fuses.  OR do the Ric Shultz tweaking special on it and omit the fuses.   :lol:

Not even joking:
Here are some AC power mods that are simply mindblowing:
1. Bypass the fuse with copper foil (or use audiophile fuse if this scares you)....now I even bypass the fuse holder for even better sound.

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Gustard_X20_Mods.html/

Brett Buck

Gosh, with all those fuses just think of the expensive power cord one will have to buy to overcome the loss of fuses.  OR do the Ric Shultz tweaking special on it and omit the fuses.   :lol:

Not even joking:

Oh, come on, that can't be serious!  That's world-class absurd, only possible if you know *absolutely nothing* about electrical engineering.

Brett

jjss49

ignorance unfortunately doesn't stop folks from posting...  :cry:

Factorz

I sent Frank a note, but thought I would try here as well. Can you run subs with this unit? Thanks.

Meicheng

There is no sub output, so I believe you'd have to connect sub(s) via the speaker connections.   

charmerci

I sent Frank a note, but thought I would try here as well. Can you run subs with this unit? Thanks.

The article has excellent photos of the unit and its backside.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Frank,
You've tried this with Magnepans, correct?
I wonder how this would mate up with the LRS?

Brett Buck

ignorance unfortunately doesn't stop folks from posting...  :cry:

Hey, I know, just solder a power cable (audiophile-quality, of course) directly from the supply line into the breaker box to the primary of the power transformer.

I also note Exhibit #2, where it also says something about using batteries and an inverter to run your system, so avoid those nasty power lines entirely. The obvious next step is to wire a bunch of car batteries in series to supply B+, and skip the inverter and transformer entirely. Closely approaching my prescient posts here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=51564.msg461918#msg461918

I have to go secure a supply of "good-sounding battery acid" and corner the market.

Magnificent (albeit off-topic...)!

Brett

honfatboy

I just learned about AVA from this review--now I'm saving my money. Very interested in the 120.

bradAC

I'd definitely agree with the PTA review.  I purchased one to replace a dead 30-year-old Sony integrated, and is driving a pair of Dali Helicon 400's.

The sound is much more clear than the Sony, but the music is not at all sterile after more break-in from the factory.  The frequency extension is great, as are the dynamics, both macro and micro.  It's pleasant and fun to listen to with the Dali's.  Yes, it doesn't have the refinement of an uber-amp, nor the liquid cozy-ness of a tube SET, but I can't imagine much better for a SS amp at such a reasonable price.

I haven't yet tried it with the Hornings.  I plan to this coming week.

avahifi

Both the SET 120 amp and control amp are are great matches with the Magnapan LRS speakers.
I have a pair of LRS speakers in house right now and the combination is very musical.

Frank