Hobbs NX-Studio Build

subsonic1050

Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #260 on: 23 Sep 2021, 03:43 am »
Looks incredible Hobbs! You must be absolutely thrilled and super excited to get them fired up. Can't wait to hear your listening impressions!

Norman Tracy

« Reply #261 on: 23 Sep 2021, 07:05 pm »
September 22. 2021 - Danny publishes video Biamp and Biwiring! We NEED to TALK! https://youtu.be/908BWw1Bx4U on why you're a big dummy if you have bi-amp terminals on your speaker.

September 23. 2021 - Hobbs posts NX-Studio build demonstrating (due to crossover that would consume 78% of speaker's interior volume) when you must have bi-amp terminals on your speaker.

Maybe, just maybe, Danny will forgive you if all connectors are Tube Connectors.

Kidding aside, this over the top NX-Studio with Servo-sub stand is a perfect example of the point Danny makes in the second half of the Biamp and Biwiring! We NEED to TALK! video that where biamping really delivers in home HiFi is the subwoofer to main speaker handoff.

GR Research should name this NX-Studio + sub stand configuration and market it as a small footprint big sound solution for when the other NXs would dominate a room's acoustics or aesthetics.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #262 on: 24 Sep 2021, 12:55 am »
September 22. 2021 - Danny publishes video Biamp and Biwiring! We NEED to TALK! https://youtu.be/908BWw1Bx4U on why you're a big dummy if you have bi-amp terminals on your speaker.

September 23. 2021 - Hobbs posts NX-Studio build demonstrating (due to crossover that would consume 78% of speaker's interior volume) when you must have bi-amp terminals on your speaker.

Maybe, just maybe, Danny will forgive you if all connectors are Tube Connectors.

Kidding aside, this over the top NX-Studio with Servo-sub stand is a perfect example of the point Danny makes in the second half of the Biamp and Biwiring! We NEED to TALK! video that where biamping really delivers in home HiFi is the subwoofer to main speaker handoff.

GR Research should name this NX-Studio + sub stand configuration and market it as a small footprint big sound solution for when the other NXs would dominate a room's acoustics or aesthetics.

Excuse you, it's bi-wiring AND bi-amping :wink:

Oh don't worry, this whole setup uses a whopping 5 sets of tube connectors. 3 for the crossovers and 2 sets for the speakers...

I could have made it 3 sets, but I wanted the ability to swap the lengths in the future as needed. Plus I can test out different crossovers which I plan to do with my "el-cheepo" pair that are 5% roughly the cost of my "Overkill" crossover... lol

Small gauge wire, steel banana plugs, tiny 22 gauge zipcord...
All the things i shouldn't do  8)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #263 on: 24 Sep 2021, 05:42 pm »
They are officially finished and playing!  8)

Now to let them burn in.  :thumb:
(They already beat out the N-3s beside them.)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #264 on: 19 Oct 2021, 03:23 am »
Burn in is complete! :thumb:
They currently have a little over 500 hours on them.

So I brought them over to see how they sound on Danny's system, as well as how they compare to his original models..

We listened to them for almost 2 hours throwing everything at them, and we're both really impressed with how they sound.
Danny got goosebumps multiple times and was blown away by how well they sounded, and how clean and natural everything felt.

Everything just sounded incredibly rich and organic without losing any detail. It's just too easy to just get lost in the music.

Danny says they're the closest he's ever heard a mini monitor directly competing with the NX-Otica and NX-Treme.

I still haven't had a chance to listen to both versions in a direct A/B comparison yet but so far, I'm incredibly happy with how they sound, they hit every mark I set out for them.

I've already told Ron he has my blessing to borrow them, and he told me I wouldn't be getting them back. lol

If I were to do it over again, there are definitely some things I would change to save some money and keep the crossover inside the speaker..

But I dont regret a single thing.  :green:

Ill post another update once I've had a chance to properly compare them.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #265 on: 19 Oct 2021, 05:22 am »
What?  No maple stands with thick brass feet for the crossovers?  Surely you can do more than just set them on the carpet.  :lol:  :thumb:

mkrawcz

« Reply #266 on: 19 Oct 2021, 09:07 am »
Ill post another update once I've had a chance to properly compare them.
Looking forward to this. For me, swapping out the Sonicap/Miflex on the tweeter circuit for a VCAP ODAM /Duelund JDM silver foil bypass significantly improved this speaker. All while keeping the physical cap size small so it doesn’t mess with the cabinet volume.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #267 on: 19 Oct 2021, 01:44 pm »
What?  No maple stands with thick brass feet for the crossovers?  Surely you can do more than just set them on the carpet.  :lol:  :thumb:

I do have some small stands for them but that's just another thing I would need to carry around.. So I left them at home... :lol:

Looking forward to this. For me, swapping out the Sonicap/Miflex on the tweeter circuit for a VCAP ODAM /Duelund JDM silver foil bypass significantly improved this speaker. All while keeping the physical cap size small so it doesn’t mess with the cabinet volume.

It would be interesting to see how mine compare to yours as well.
The intention for mine were to make it a more relaxed tone, while still offering plenty of detail and clarity without being overly analytical.
And that's been my only concern about the VCap+Deulund bypass upgrade.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #268 on: 19 Oct 2021, 06:23 pm »
I can’t believe the journey is over

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #269 on: 19 Oct 2021, 10:34 pm »
Will you be posting a parts list of your upgraded parts compared to the standard kits or was it really only that wine barrel of a copper cap and the path resistors?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #270 on: 19 Oct 2021, 11:40 pm »
Will you be posting a parts list of your upgraded parts compared to the standard kits or was it really only that wine barrel of a copper cap and the path resistors?

It was essentially as follows:
Foil inductor upgrade
600V KPCU01 Miflex cap & 0.1uF Miflex bypass
Path Audio resistors
Miflex 0.1uF cap bypassing the cap in the woofer circuit,
The only thing stock about them is the sonicap in the woofer circuit.

I didn't really do anything different with the crossover or cabinet other than making it so I can change the length of the wires and swap out the crossover.

If i were to do it again, i would go with the smaller 250V KPCU03 version thats roughly half the size & a single path resistor that is "close enough" rather than doubling up half values to get the exact value so I could still fit it inside the cabinet.
Oh an probably use paper backed veneer instead of RAW veneer.. lol

mkrawcz

« Reply #271 on: 19 Oct 2021, 11:54 pm »
It would be interesting to see how mine compare to yours as well.
The intention for mine were to make it a more relaxed tone, while still offering plenty of detail and clarity without being overly analytical.
And that's been my only concern about the VCap+Deulund bypass upgrade.
Nothing to be concerned about. The best way I can describe it is natural realism. A violin sounds like an actual violin in the room.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #272 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:15 am »
Danny says they're the closest he's ever heard a mini monitor directly competing with the NX-Otica and NX-Treme.

That's quite a statement!  I'd love to hear those speakers one day. 

Re: the ODAM cap - I switched from Miflex to ODAM caps in my BA3 amp because the Miflex melted because the amp is so damn hot.  The ODAM caps are very neutral, transparent and dynamic.  Very nice!  But they were also missing a bit of soul in the music, IMO.  So I bypassed them with copper foil Duelunds and the magic is back. 

Jmitchell3

« Reply #273 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:17 am »
Hobbs, they look awesome man! Wish I could hear them!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #274 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:23 am »
Hobbs, they look awesome man! Wish I could hear them!

Thanks! I'm super happy with them!
If you ever make your way thru, you're more than welcome to stop by and ill bring them to the shop

Nothing to be concerned about. The best way I can describe it is natural realism. A violin sounds like an actual violin in the room.
Good to know.
In the future I may build a 3rd pair of crossovers with the Vcap/Duelund/Path combo since I can easily swap them out.
(The 2nd pair of crossovers are cheap $25 crossovers using the cheapest parts I could find on Parts Express still need to finish assembling them)
And Maybe a 4th pair with the stock crossover parts.
But that's for the future, plus were still waiting on more tube connectors.. and I would need at least one set for each of them. :P

mkrawcz

« Reply #275 on: 20 Oct 2021, 12:32 am »
Re: the ODAM cap - I switched from Miflex to ODAM caps in my BA3 amp because the Miflex melted because the amp is so damn hot.  The ODAM caps are very neutral, transparent and dynamic.  Very nice!  But they were also missing a bit of soul in the music, IMO.  So I bypassed them with copper foil Duelunds and the magic is back.
Yes the Duelunds add a texture you sort of feel. The musical “vibe” is palpable.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #276 on: 20 Oct 2021, 03:09 am »
It was essentially as follows:
Foil inductor upgrade
600V KPCU01 Miflex cap & 0.1uF Miflex bypass
Path Audio resistors
Miflex 0.1uF cap bypassing the cap in the woofer circuit,
The only thing stock about them is the sonicap in the woofer circuit.

I didn't really do anything different with the crossover or cabinet other than making it so I can change the length of the wires and swap out the crossover.

If i were to do it again, i would go with the smaller 250V KPCU03 version thats roughly half the size & a single path resistor that is "close enough" rather than doubling up half values to get the exact value so I could still fit it inside the cabinet.
Oh an probably use paper backed veneer instead of RAW veneer.. lol

Something to be careful about when using paper backed veneer is that the veneer itself is very thin. Usually about 0.010" where the raw wood veneer is more like 0.045" thick. If you end up with a minor imperfection, you can likely sand it out of raw wood veneer but not on paper backed veneer. Each type of veneer has it pros and cons. Neither is perfect.

Danny Richie

« Reply #277 on: 20 Oct 2021, 02:56 pm »
His pair is the best sounding stand mounted speakers that I have ever heard.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #278 on: 20 Oct 2021, 03:34 pm »
Congratulations Hobbs, you'll enjoy your maxed out NX-Studios for years.

Suggestion to Danny & Hobbs. This set with external crossovers is the perfect opportunity to demonstrate the effects of Good, Better, Best crossover parts. Hobbs has built the Best version. I expect know the basic kit parts are Good. Something in between as a Better level. I would love to see GR demo this at 2022 LSAF and/or Ron could do a video on New Record Day YouTube channel discussing the quality differences heard as parts get better and better.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #279 on: 20 Oct 2021, 03:44 pm »
Yes the Duelunds add a texture you sort of feel. The musical “vibe” is palpable.

I'd say there's a trade off.  In favor of the ODAM/Dueland combo (although I use copper foil instead of silver foil Duelund in my setup), there's absolutely a better view into the recording.  Acoustic space in particular is just incredible. 

On the other hand, the Miflex caps are less insanely resolving, but are much more beautiful and soulful.  Which I also love.  So, IMO, there's a tradeoff and whichever one you prefer is fine, as they are both great.