Hobbs NX-Studio Build

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Hobbs NX-Studio Build
« Reply #220 on: 22 Jun 2021, 04:12 am »
Another idea would be to make some custom speaker stands with the crossovers built-in.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #221 on: 22 Jun 2021, 07:42 am »
You trying to compensate for something with that Miflex cap?  :lol:

I’m curious about the foil conductors you’re using there. What brand and who sells them?

Looking forward to seeing these finished and your impressions.

I’ll add that I ordered some Vcap ODAM’s for the tweeter to try in my Studios. Have used them in amps and they’re superb.

Hobbs I have such cross over envy happening right now. Not to mention they are going onto  :lol: the NX studios. I just want those caps to look at all day. Sad I know but the drool Hobbs the drool..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Got to love a Miflex the size of an orange.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #222 on: 23 Jun 2021, 02:02 am »
Another idea would be to make some custom speaker stands with the crossovers built-in.

I would, but I've already got my dual 8" Servo sub stands. plus i need to be able to adjust the length of cables im using, depending on how/where i have them set up. (i.e desk or in the room)

Hobbs I have such cross over envy happening right now. Not to mention they are going onto  :lol: the NX studios. I just want those caps to look at all day. Sad I know but the drool Hobbs the drool..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Got to love a Miflex the size of an orange.

LOL
Trust me, if Soniccraft sold the smaller 250V versions, that's the route I would have gone. Partsconnexion does sell them, but doesn't offer matched pairs.. (at least to my knowledge)
So 600V monster cap it is.. :P
But yeah, I totally understand.. its a whole lot of beautiful copper parts to oogle over~ 8)

I forgot to answer Tomy's question about the foil inductors,
They're mafe by Bridgeport Magnetics. Its the brand that Danny currently stocks for the NX line. We just got the foil inductor for the Studios in last week, abd will be an upgrade available on the site soon once we get out from under the backlog of current orders, and parts shortages that are really holding us back.

indiehouse

« Reply #223 on: 24 Jun 2021, 07:10 pm »
Is that inductor upgrade a ‘must-have’? I just placed my order for the Studios today, and waffed on the upgrade. My sensibility says that in my untreated family room, I’d likely not even notice. But I don’t want this to haunt me! Is the upgrade strictly for the audiophile who might appreciate such minutia?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #224 on: 24 Jun 2021, 07:30 pm »
Is that inductor upgrade a ‘must-have’? I just placed my order for the Studios today, and waffed on the upgrade. My sensibility says that in my untreated family room, I’d likely not even notice. But I don’t want this to haunt me! Is the upgrade strictly for the audiophile who might appreciate such minutia?

None of Danny's kits need an upgrade. His base kit is far superior to what you find in most commercial speakers. The upgrades are beneficial but how much you will realize depends on the capability of your electronics. If you have a budget level system you won't notice as much of an improvement as you would with a mid-fi system. High end systems give even better performance.

On the one hand, fully upgrading the crossover components will give you a speaker you will never outgrow no matter how good the rest of your system gets. On the other hand, if you start with the base crossover components then later on upgrade the rest of your system to a much higher level you can always build another pair of crossovers with better parts.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #225 on: 2 Jul 2021, 02:35 am »
Mike has it right.
My kit is wildly overkill, esp for my system as it stands currently, but I'll never have to worry about it being the weakest link in my system.

For anyone curious about the difference between the original NX studio Danny built vs the first production run by Jay/Captainhemo,
Here's a quick side-by-side comparison of Danny's build vs my own.

Danny said the differences in design dont make much difference to performance, but the current production runs should be a little more similar to the original design, mainly raising the tweeter and woofer about an inch or so it's further from a desk or console it may be sitting on.

I still haven't had a chance to purchase my own kit yet, but I have the parts I need set aside once we get caught up on the current backlog of orders as best we can. Gunna spend the weekend pre-packing a ton of orders and making invoices so that come Monday & Tuesday, We can get a good chunk of them out the door while we have 4 people in-house.

But I'll be sure to update you all once I get my kit and start assembling my crossover and planning out the building/veneering of it's box.  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #226 on: 2 Jul 2021, 06:51 pm »
Mike has it right.
My kit is wildly overkill, esp for my system as it stands currently, but I'll never have to worry about it being the weakest link in my system.

For anyone curious about the difference between the original NX studio Danny built vs the first production run by Jay/Captainhemo,
Here's a quick side-by-side comparison of Danny's build vs my own.

Danny said the differences in design dont make much difference to performance, but the current production runs should be a little more similar to the original design, mainly raising the tweeter and woofer about an inch or so it's further from a desk or console it may be sitting on.

I still haven't had a chance to purchase my own kit yet, but I have the parts I need set aside once we get caught up on the current backlog of orders as best we can. Gunna spend the weekend pre-packing a ton of orders and making invoices so that come Monday & Tuesday, We can get a good chunk of them out the door while we have 4 people in-house.

But I'll be sure to update you all once I get my kit and start assembling my crossover and planning out the building/veneering of it's box.  :thumb:

Yeah,  I actually did both designs  of the Studio's .  When we donated that pair to Peter so  a build could be done to present to Danny,  he (Danny ), measured them   and they measure  fine, basically  the same  as  thebaffles   only   he had  cut.

After   a number  of  folks asked aboiut it and most   said they felt   the  higher tweeter/woofer  looked better  (guess my taste  sucks !),   we've  done a n alteration  and  are now  shipping,  I guess youi could say,  the MKII.

Tweeter/woofer have been rraised and we're  adding roiundovers to all external edges of the   grill frame.  I"m still debating onadding  a  7/32  wire pass through hole  to the  plate right below the tweeeter.... problem is if I put it in the center ,  there will be folks  who  want it on the  side.... and the opposite applies as well.  May just  leave as  with no wire pass through and folks drill one  where they  want  it.

Will try and get  some  pics posted in the flat pack thread later  today...
jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #227 on: 3 Jul 2021, 12:16 am »
I'm still really happy with how mine looks and how it has turned out so far. Plus I dig how it looks, despite my own lack of skill and knowledge.

But I'm excited to see the changes you've made between the original and updated kits! :thumb:
Even if they are minor lol)

I'm more than ready to get back to work on it ASAP tho.. lmao
Still gotta drill a hole for the wires too lol

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #228 on: 9 Jul 2021, 03:54 am »
So.... I had a most terrible "idea".... :icon_twisted:

BuT iF iT mEaSuReS ThE sAmE, iT wIlL sOuNd ThE sAmE !!1!
*cough cough*  :rotflmao:

I went and found the cheapest available parts I could find on Parts express that will work for the NX studio crossover.

(I could have gone cheaper for a few parts like the iron inductor, main cap, and shunt resistor, but I'd be waiting a few more weeks to save like $15)

I did get a Dayton bypass cap, but I'm gunna wait to install it later.

I also snagged some super-cheap brass/nickel banana binding posts with an steel nut, and some 24-gauge zip-cord wire to act like your typical internal speaker wire..

Just having a little fun~

cjsailer

« Reply #229 on: 9 Jul 2021, 04:30 am »
Well that one sand cast resistor says audio grade, so you should be good!  Don't be surprised if your boss calls you into his office for a talk tomorrow.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #230 on: 9 Jul 2021, 04:41 am »
It's shunting to ground so it's not really going to be the issue that the cheaper one is at the input.

Oh, dont worry, I've already told him my about cheesey plans..  :wink:

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #231 on: 9 Jul 2021, 05:34 am »
It's shunting to ground so it's not really going to be the issue that the cheaper one is at the input.

Oh, dont worry, I've already told him my about cheesey plans..  :wink:

Love it Hobbs,

I can't help but chuckle at the thought of Danny saying " can you coming my office for a minute we need to discuss the cheese I've been seeing online"  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SC.

cjsailer

« Reply #232 on: 9 Jul 2021, 10:46 pm »
Hobbs, I looked at my old crossover from a Klipsch center channel.  I can get you 16.2 uF of capacitance.  So then you can have a splash of cheesy yellow in your network.  Maybe we can crowd source this and get you a Frankenstein crossover.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #233 on: 18 Aug 2021, 03:43 am »
Been a while, but things are finally moving again...  :thumb:

Next will be to design a crossover board to mount everything onto, then build a box to go around it. :D

subsonic1050

« Reply #234 on: 18 Aug 2021, 04:05 am »
Random internet guy posts a picture of his crossover:

Hobbs channeling his innder Crocodile Dundee

"That's not a crossover - THIS is a crossover"

cjsailer

« Reply #235 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:15 pm »
I'm still learning about such matters, but is the bypass cap still necessary when the primary cap is of equal or greater quality?  I am of course referring to that beer can in your network.  When I did my Otica build, I opted to upgrade the mid circuit to soniccaps, which had a small bypass cap on the base kit.  Did I even need to include that tiny cap?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #236 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:18 pm »

I guess everything is bigger in Texas... :green:

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #237 on: 18 Aug 2021, 05:31 pm »
Talk about your 800lb Gorilla  :icon_twisted:

That is hella nice.

Is is nice that you get to work at a DIY high-end audiophile speaker manufacture?  Every time Danny comes up with something new and exciting the employees be like yes ill take that. lol. And all those parts to check out lust over.

Good on you Hobbs.

Norman Tracy

« Reply #238 on: 18 Aug 2021, 06:47 pm »
Swooping in with a thread-jacking, now its all about who's got the most out there crossover.

Contender #1 -  Kawero! Vivace Supreme crossover with the best silver/gold/oil Mundorf capacitors and VertexAQ structural acoustic absorption techniques together with VertexAQ radar absorbing material to reduce Electromagnetic Interference. And just for good measure Panzerholz plywood for the mounting structure. 100% maniac.

Contender #2 - BØRRESEN crossovers using foil inductors (na na na na GR got there first) but unique to my knowledge in speaker crossover application surface mount plastic film caps. The black and silver boxes soldered to PCB beside the front inductor. These eliminate the inductance of the lead wires but are a BITCH to solder, over heat just a little bit and the metalized plastic layers melt and cap goes open or suffers wild value changes.

Contender #3 - Living Voice's Auditorium range of speakers use exactly the same driver set and box and as you go up the range what changes is better and better crossover parts. This tops out at the Auditorium OBX-RW3 where the parts in the crossover have gotten so big they require their own enclosure about 50% the size of the speaker it serves.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #239 on: 19 Aug 2021, 12:19 am »
Talk about your 800lb Gorilla  :icon_twisted:

That is hella nice.

Is is nice that you get to work at a DIY high-end audiophile speaker manufacture?  Every time Danny comes up with something new and exciting the employees be like yes ill take that. lol. And all those parts to check out lust over.

Good on you Hobbs.

To some extent? But it's actually been a learning experience more than anything. Getting to play with high end hardware, amps, DACs, cables etc. is fun, but it helps me understand the things Danny, Ron and others talk about beyond just a conceptual level. I can see how changing cables on a DAC alone can help/hurt, how tubes affect the sound/tone. Differences between OB/sealed/horn speakers.
There are times when Danny is testing a speaker and I'm starting to pick out when a tweeter or woofer sounds odd.

And all that knowledge helps me relay that information back to customers based on my experience.

I've also had these parts set aside for probably close to 5-6 weeks now waiting for Danny to tally up my total since I was piece-mealing it together rather than just getting a standard kit, so there's quite a few other kits that got foil inductors long before I did. lol

That said I did also get one of the early samples of the new 10W chip amps, just need to get a battery and charger to power it. We've had one of them playing in-house for a few days now and it honestly sounds fantastic, incredibly clean and detailed with excellent bass control. It's one of the few things Danny has said are one of the best sounding devices, esp for "right out of the box." I'll be pairing it with My Studios for sure.

Not quite sure on the release date for those yet, but I believe we just gave to go ahead for making the remaining models.. should be about 25-30 units available once we're ready to release them.

I'm still learning about such matters, but is the bypass cap still necessary when the primary cap is of equal or greater quality?  I am of course referring to that beer can in your network.  When I did my Otica build, I opted to upgrade the mid circuit to soniccaps, which had a small bypass cap on the base kit.  Did I even need to include that tiny cap?

The bypass cap is intended to act like a siphon, allowing the larger cap to discharge much faster. By design, most copper caps are fairly slow to discharge due to the limitations of the materials, and without a bypass, it will tend to smear the details. And keeping the brands/type the same allows them to keep their tonal quality while also increasing the speed of the cap.

Sonicaps are really fast discharging caps, but adding a copper bypass imparts the tonality of a copper cap, leading to a more warm/rich tone.

The real drawback tho, is the amount of burn-in they require, often 400+ hrs before they settle into their final sound. When they're not ready, they often sound really hard, if not harsh.. Most of the dramatic changes will occur within the first week, with them slowly opening up and relaxing the remaining time.

According to some, as you feed them higher quality music or give them a cleaner signal from a bette qualityr front-end, the more they will continue to open up.

As for your bypass caps, yes. Both the base model and upgraded model have bypass caps included in that circuit, as it still helps them to discharge faster than they would on their own, esp once you start getting into those really large values. On smaller values like say 1-7uF its not going to be as necessary, unless there is a tonality you want them to have ontop of their speed.