Bryston BP-26 preamp with external power supply

audibleguy

Bryston BP-26 preamp with external power supply
« on: 2 May 2020, 02:50 pm »
Hello,
I have been reading audio circle for some time but have never posted. I am interested in learning about the Bryston BP-26 preamp with external power supply and how it is vs. a tube preamp like a BAT, ARC, Aethetix, etc.?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Bryston BP-26 preamp with external power supply
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2020, 04:13 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2020, 09:28 pm »
Greetings  & Welcome to AC audibleguy   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2020, 10:39 pm »
Welcome!  What other components and speakers will you be using?

audibleguy

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2020, 12:46 am »
I have a BAT solid state amp, esoteric sacd player and word clock, vpi aries table, primare phono stage, usher mini-diamond 2 speakers, eminent technology lft-16 speakers , eminent technology lft-8b speakers, rel subwoofers

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2020, 01:15 am »
I have a BAT solid state amp, esoteric sacd player and word clock, vpi aries table, primare phono stage, usher mini-diamond 2 speakers, eminent technology lft-16 speakers , eminent technology lft-8b speakers, rel subwoofers

Nice stuff - is there a budget in mind?  My personal preference would be a tube preamp with the above (doesn't mean it's the only choice or another preference is OK).

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2020, 01:38 am »
I may be the person to discuss this.
I own a number of preamps.
My main preamp is the Bryston BP-26
I also own a Vac Standard (tubes) (upgraded and retail $5,300) which I really enjoyed until fooling around I knocked over the power supply and (because I added some dampening inside shorted out something in it,) So it sadly sits waiting to get repaired. I really liked the VAC I expect it will be repaired when I can send it to the maker.
Since I broke it I also bought a Conrad Johnson Act 2 (tubes) for a fraction of it's cost of $13,000. Also a refurbished Audible Illusions 3A  (Tubes) for $1500. And I have had for a long time an Audio Research Sp-15 solid state with a three tube phono section was new $6000.
And finally a really nice Threshold FET10 line plus th separate Phono box and a upgraded power supply from the main guy himself.
I use all of these in my system! right now I use the Threshold and Bryston, and the ARC just for the phono section.

So if anyone can compare a Bryston BP-26 it sure is me.

Right off the Bryston is a wonderful preamp. the clarity and truthfulness is wonderful. that TAS finally made it a recommended component is good.
The only thing I can say I have against it is too much gain. both the single ended and balanced are good.
Some folks if the system is not up to the clarity of the Bryston would blame it for some other fault it passes right on through. But put the best through it, and it gives the best out.
The Threshold is also a great preamp. a lot older, but the finest sold state from the 80's. really hard to find and usually overpriced. (I paid $900 for BOTH the line and phono. a good deal)
One thing you will want with the Bryston is a good powerline conditioner. and the better the IC th better it all will sound.
So what it raly comes down to is what SORT of sound you want. warm and fuzzy is not the Bryston. clean great clarity and the ability to really be better with every other upgrade.. THAT is the Bryston BP-26I could easily live wit hthe Threshold, the ARC, the VAC,,
The Conrad Johnson is an actual blast furnace hot and I would not recommend it to anyone unless you need a full timespace heater anyway.. LOL

djpk

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2020, 02:25 am »
The Bryston BP-26 is my favorite preamp, not because it "sounds" better, but I like the simplicity, aesthetics, and the number of inputs and outputs. I've had tube preamps in my systems, but solid state has always been better for me. The BP-26 is most highly recommended.

1oldguy

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2021, 01:02 am »
Hi james

Is it correct that one can no longer order a MPS-2 Multi-Output DC Regulated Power Supply.....to go with the bp-26?
If so I would imagine  alot of unhappy people.Please say it is still possible ;-)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2021, 01:12 am »
I will move this topic to the Bryston Circle for your convenience.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2021, 08:35 am »
Hi james

Is it correct that one can no longer order a MPS-2 Multi-Output DC Regulated Power Supply.....to go with the bp-26?
If so I would imagine  alot of unhappy people.Please say it is still possible ;-)

Hi

We did run into an issue with safety certification on the MPS2 so we had to switch to the newer PS3 power supply.  Since then we are looking at offering the MPS-2 again and I believe they have built so recently for a number of orders.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #11 on: 11 Sep 2021, 05:39 pm »
Sounds good.....So it is possible to get one for sure at this point in time?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 11 Sep 2021, 09:40 pm »
Sounds good.....So it is possible to get one for sure at this point in time?

Hi - Yes I am not sure for how much longer though as we still have to get approvals.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #13 on: 12 Sep 2021, 10:15 am »
Great.......May i ask what is the current price list in Canada for the Bp-26 and Mps2 power supply ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 12 Sep 2021, 11:30 am »
Hi

The BP26 is $4295 and I believe the MPS-2 is about $1800.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #15 on: 12 Sep 2021, 03:34 pm »
H
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2021, 04:49 pm by 1oldguy »

1oldguy

« Reply #16 on: 14 Sep 2021, 09:17 pm »
Bryston......And i don't say this lightly........Actually care about their customers!!! And that is Very Rare!!!!In or out of audio!!!

spartana

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2021, 06:10 am »
Mr Tanner, is there any sonic disadvantage of using the PS3 instead of the MPS2 with a BP26? How does the BP26 compare with a BR20? I already have a BDA3 and a good streamer. Thanks.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2021, 07:26 am by spartana »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2021, 08:28 am »
Hi spartana

Either power supply works fine so no performance issue there. 

The BP26 sounds different than the BR20. 

The BP26 has more fullness and punch in the region between say between 50Hz and 300Hz.  Transients are very well defined and immediate. The 26 has a more forward sound with the soundstage projecting forward from the speakers - so a more 'in the room' presentation. 

The BR20 is a slightly more distant presentation with the soundstage moving backwards and outwards from the speakers. There is an "ease" about the sound with the BR20 - it never seems to push the sound at you - there is never a sense of strain or stridency. Voices are extraordinary.

So I think it becomes more a choice of the presentation you prefer and the type of music listen too as well as the feature set rather than which one is better.

best
james

spartana

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2021, 10:03 am »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Best regards,

Holger