• Facilitator
  • iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
iFi audio iPower X - The Official Thread
« on: 28 Feb 2020, 09:00 pm »
iFi audio iPower X
Silence improved

Power - cleaner than ever

During the R&D stage of iPower, introduced into our portfolio in 2015, we challenged ourselves by aiming to manufacture the quietest power supply available and make it compliant with as many products as possible. The feedback from the audiophile community and the longevity of this product was very positive.

We never rest on our laurels and would now like to introduce the new higher model - more visually pleasing and suitable for more products than ever - the new iPower X.

Active beats passive

iPower X uses our latest Active Noise Cancellation 2 (ANC2) technology to cancel all incoming EMI/RFI noise. This technology is, in principle, similar to how active noise-cancelling headphones work. The intelligent circuit inside of the iPower X measures the signal coming from the mains and injects an identical wave of the opposite-phase. The result - the initial wave and its mirror reflection interfere destructively cancelling out all noise pollution.

Have you ever tried to compare passive and ANC headphones on a plane? The former is not capable of picking up the low-frequency noise, such as a loud engine inside of a cabin, but the latter neutralises it before the unwanted buzz reaches your ear.

Now, picture a regular wall-wart power supply as passive cans and our iPower X as an active product with the most potent version of the ANC tech on-board. The latest generation noise suppression method implemented in the iPower X is far more efficient than the regular filter blocks. It eliminates more unwanted noise and works across a far broader range, liberating your connected device from the oppression of unclean power!

Our previous iPower generation was quieter than even audiophile linear power supplies and 1,000x quieter than the standard SMPS wall adapters. The newly-optimised circuit, together with the new oversized power MOSFET and low leakage transformer implemented inside of the iPower X enabled us to surpass these multipliers even further.

The iPower X increased its previous generation’s input filter capacitance by 106% and its power supply capacitance for the adaptive multi-mode controller by 220%.

We also added the new aluminium conductive polymer solid capacitors and high-density output inductors as well as increased the output capacitance by 79% for better suppression of high-frequency noise.

Modernised visuals, even broader usability

As much as we enjoy how our iPower looks like, its successor, iPower X features a brand new satisfying cream/harmonious beige chassis design. The captivating carvings on its top form an elegant pattern, behind which a pleasant soft blue LED indicates the connection with mains.

We also managed to add more power to the previous generation of iPower, the new iPower X can deliver 150% more peak power than the original.

meby

Re: iFi audio iPower X - The Official Thread
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2020, 06:16 pm »
Can the 5 v version be used with a Raspberry Pi?

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2020, 11:14 pm »
Can the 5 v version be used with a Raspberry Pi?

Yes, it should. Compliance with Raspberry Pi devices was in fact one the reasons why we upped amperage in iPower X.

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2020, 09:40 pm »
The iPower X & iPower provide an effective, clean power solution for noise in your system, but did you know it can also be a great companion for photography?

Learn more in our blog post: https://ifi-audio.com/the-flickering-led-photography-light…/

See the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTc20YZVf_Y

hltf

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2020, 03:58 pm »
Curious if anyone has a view about how much better this new one is than the older version of the IFI power adapter? Is it worth upgrading from the old ones?
Thanks

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2020, 04:09 pm »
Curious if anyone has a view about how much better this new one is than the older version of the IFI power adapter? Is it worth upgrading from the old ones?
Thanks

Hi,

Apologies for missing your post. Our iPower X is quieter versus our regular iPower and we got feedback that in some setups it actually improved performance over the latter.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 7 Jan 2021, 05:12 pm »
Picked one of these up for use with my Raspi/Allo Diginone.

Nice!

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2021, 02:29 pm »
Picked one of these up for use with my Raspi/Allo Diginone.

Nice!

Thanks! How does it work for you?

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2021, 06:22 pm »
I broke all the audiophile rules and changed 2 things at the same time - the Digione replaced a Hifiberry unit, and I installed the iFi X when I put the case back together again.

I won't be changing either is my comment.  I think the power unit is a solid step forward from the included cheap wall wart for sure. 

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2021, 10:06 pm »
I won't be changing either is my comment.  I think the power unit is a solid step forward from the included cheap wall wart for sure.

Thanks, that's great to read that you like it enough to make it a keeper :)

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2021, 08:47 pm »
Is anyone using the iPowerX with a Chord DAC like a Quetest or Hugo?  I would be interested in the results.  My son just bought a used Qutest and I am thinking about buying the iPowerX for him.

Thanks!

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2021, 07:31 am »
Is anyone using the iPowerX with a Chord DAC like a Quetest or Hugo?  I would be interested in the results.  My son just bought a used Qutest and I am thinking about buying the iPowerX for him.

Thanks!

Yes, it would be interesting to see how iPower X does with products by other manufacturers. There's some feedback about that on Head-fi though :)

mr_bill

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2021, 06:05 pm »
Ifi David,

Does the Ipower X work with the Zen Phono?

Is the 5V Ipower X or the Ipower2 a better improvement for Zen Phono?

Thanks

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2021, 09:17 pm »
Ifi David,

Does the Ipower X work with the Zen Phono?

Is the 5V Ipower X or the Ipower2 a better improvement for Zen Phono?

Thanks

ZEN Phono requires a 5V DC power supply so both iPower X and iPower2 will work. Of the two iPower X is better, though.

Rjmartindale

« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2022, 04:24 pm »
I love the iFi iPowerX units, but I wish that they could rotate 90 degrees when plugged in, so that they can plug in to power sockets, some power sockets and power strips have the pins in such a way that plugging the iPower will block another outlet.
Just saying!
Otherwise the iPowerX is a fantastic product for the price!

iFi David

• Facilitator
    • iFi audio
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2022, 12:32 pm »
Thanks! If we could do that to not impact our iPower X's price tag and design we would, but thanks for letting us know!