STA9 in protection mode.

glitchesbrew

STA9 in protection mode.
« on: 31 Jan 2020, 03:37 pm »
Hi, I have a problem that is becoming a bit annoying recently.
I use a DAC9 and 2xSTA9 in bridge mode.
Every time I switch off the amps (because I have to unplug them or maybe because I'm connecting a different pair of speakers) when switched back on,
one of the 2 goes always in protection mode.
This means it is unusable for some minutes.
It is always the same amp (the one connected to the right channel of the DAC) and it does that no matter what I do with the DAC (turn it off, switch it off from the back, leave it on).
I noticed that sometimes if I switch back and forth the Balanced/Unbalanced switch it start working again immediately. Other times I have to wait for 15 minutes or so.
I connect my DAC to the Amps using RCA cables.

Any idea what it can be?

srb

Re: STA9 in protection mode.
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jan 2020, 03:49 pm »
Does it go into protection mode with both input and output disconnected?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #2 on: 31 Jan 2020, 04:18 pm »
Hi, I have a problem that is becoming a bit annoying recently.
I use a DAC9 and 2xSTA9 in bridge mode.
Every time I switch off the amps (because I have to unplug them or maybe because I'm connecting a different pair of speakers) when switched back on,
one of the 2 goes always in protection mode.
This means it is unusable for some minutes.
It is always the same amp (the one connected to the right channel of the DAC) and it does that no matter what I do with the DAC (turn it off, switch it off from the back, leave it on).
I noticed that sometimes if I switch back and forth the Balanced/Unbalanced switch it start working again immediately. Other times I have to wait for 15 minutes or so.
I connect my DAC to the Amps using RCA cables.

Any idea what it can be?

It seems you have been able to isolate the amp to one unit. I am assuming you've used it on the left and right channels of the DAC? That would eliminate a DAC issue. I can't comment with regard to the range of normal parameter for the amp turn on/shut off times. By protection, do you mean during program material or only on powering on and off?

I can appreciate  the frustration of situations like these. I have a few of my own. My preamp is more of a  computer than a piece of audio gear anymore and it gets whacky and needs rebooted from time to time...

I do wonder why you aren't using XLR cables.

M

glitchesbrew

« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2020, 04:53 pm »
Does it go into protection mode with both input and output disconnected?

I haven't tried that but I will. Thanks for suggesting it.

It seems you have been able to isolate the amp to one unit. I am assuming you've used it on the left and right channels of the DAC? That would eliminate a DAC issue.

Thanks, I'll try that as well I will report it here.

By protection, do you mean during program material or only on powering on and off?

I mean that it doesn't produce any sound. The blue light is on but the amps doesnt do anything. If I switch the Balance/Unbalance switch I hear a little "electric" clicl coming from it but nothing else.

Once is back to work, everything is fine, for days, until I have to shut them down again.

Because I read in this forum that few users that A/B XLR vs RCA with STA9 amps found the RCA connection better sounding. Since I didn't have XLR interconnect to start with I "trusted" them and always used in unbalanced mode.

I've also read that from a theoretical point of view an XLR connection can potentially reduce de dynamic of the signal by about 10DB due to the fact that it's physically impossible to make the 2 XLR signal paths identical. So when you add the 2 signals to remove the noise you also remove part of the signal.
Plus my RCA interconnect are 20cm long. I didn't feel I was exposing them to too much interference.
Anyhow this is my "reasoning" behind my choice. But I'm open to suggestion and hear different opinions :)

glitchesbrew

« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2020, 11:17 pm »

M

@Evoke I found the post I was referring to:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=144757.0

glitchesbrew

« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2020, 03:15 pm »
So apparently the amp have stopped working altogether. I've sent an email to what is listed on Nuprime website as the UK distributor but no answer so far.
Has anyone experience with servicing, out of warranty, Nuprime amps in UK/Europe?

rustydoglim

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2020, 11:22 pm »
If you can't contact the UK distributor (who did you buy from?), create a help desk ticket from nuprime website so that our support can track and follow up.  Support people don't read this forum and you need to get into our system.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2020, 08:37 am »
Thank you Jason. Will do that. I bought the amp from a French shop via Amazon. At the time there was no UK dealer listed on Nuprime website. But considering that the UK distributor didn't even replied my email I'm glad I didn't buy from them.

Westerwälder

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:43 pm »
I have been watching Amazon offers in Europe for some time. The price war that takes place here has nothing to do with hi-fi. This is all about sales. I would even like to doubt that some of the providers on Amazon Nuprime have even heard devices once.
The key players are the dealers who sacrifice their time for advice.
And then also the buyers when there is a lack of service because he shot the cheap offer on Amazon.
There is certainly also the possibility in the EU to send an inquiry to a dealer from the neighboring country.
And this official way should probably also be supported by Nuprime.
Then the service should also work.

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2020, 12:48 am »
I don't think glitchesbrew situation is like that. He should contact the French distributor because he bought it from a French dealer when there was no distributor in UK.  We are a very small company and unlike the large corporate giants, we can't afford to have warranty transfer from one market to another.  Therefore the distributor won't provide the service if it is not purchased from him. Normally before Briexit it would have been a simple ground shipping from UK to France for service, but I don't know what's the situation there  :scratch:

In general the NuPrime dealers respect each other's territory and we work with distributors to make sure of that.  Anyway, I will ensure that glitchesbrew is taken care of, whether his amp is to be serviced in France or UK.

Westerwälder

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:21 pm »
What I wanted to say is:
In Europe (before Brexit / for Glitchesbrew) there are opportunities to buy the Nuprime devices from a dealer in the neighboring country.
Switzerland is a good example.
If you want to buy nuprime devices here in Europe and rely on good service, you should contact a dealer and also buy there.
Unless he wants to make a bargain.
It may be that my post is not in the right place here.
But the issue should be kept in mind for Europe.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2020, 11:45 pm »
@Westerwälder I'm not sure I understand what you mean. But I wanted a Nuprime and I had to buy it without trying it since I'm not aware of any dealer in my country that can showcase them. The alternative (to avoid custom duties) was Either a dealer via Amazon or Ebay. And for sure I didn't pay cheap.

@rustydoglim
Thanks for the support. I've just created a ticket on the NUOEM website.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2020, 04:25 pm »
The ticket is still pending. Let's see if we manage to fix it.
In the meanwhile to proof my trust in the company I've placed an order for the AMG PRA  :green:
(From the Italian official distributor, not the UK one).

rustydoglim

« Reply #13 on: 29 Feb 2020, 02:27 am »
It will take some time for us to sort out how to repair your STA-9, but we will take care of it. 
The UK distributor/dealer is starting to be active with NuPrime.  They just exhibited at a high end audio show in Bristol.

brucelee

« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2021, 02:37 am »
I had the exact same problem as you. It ended up with a bad power board. Seems like I was not the only one encountered this issue. Unfortunately my unit was out of warranty.

rustydoglim

« Reply #15 on: 17 Aug 2021, 02:51 pm »
if you are a hands on person, you can purchase the power board directly from factory store and replace yourself.
Please take a photo of the failed board if you are not sure and email to support@nuprimeaudio.com to confirm before you purchase parts.
https://store1.nuoem.com/product/sta-9-parts/