"old" newbie

jlucas

"old" newbie
« on: 4 Jan 2020, 01:15 am »
I actually joined back in 2013 because of a piece of used gear for sale and then promptly forgot about the forum!

My current interest lie in learning more about room treatment and DSP correction, as well as digital distributed audio (via Roon) due to moving to a new to us house this year.  Once I get that under control I want to try my hand at building some speakers and experimenting on that side of things.  I've got LXmini and folded horns on my to do list.  Audio consumes my winter half of the year because cars/racing consumes my April-October.

Headphone stuff:
Current: Sennheiser HD650, Audeze LCD-2, Fiio FH7 IEM; Gone: Sennheiser HD560II, Beyerdynamics T1 ,Fostex TH-X00
Hardware: Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Geek Pulse + Wyrd, Geek Pulse Xfi, Fiio X7mk2

Stereo stuff:
Current Speakers: Paradigm Reference Studio 100/Studio CC/Studio ADP-590s & Studio 10, Velodyne HSG-18, Boston Acoustic Lynnfield VR975s & HD8.  Gone: Magnapan SMGa
Current Electronics: Pioneer Elite A-35R, Denon AVR3802, Adcom GFA-545 II, Onkyo TR-SR608, Hifiberry Digi + Pro, Mac Mini running Roon.  Gone: more than I can remember but there was an interesting Carver stereo receiver in there back when I had the Magnapans

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: "old" newbie
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2020, 01:29 am »
Welcome Lucas :thumb:

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:16 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:37 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle! :thumb:

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2020, 04:29 am »
Welcome to the Audio Circle!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2020, 05:02 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC jlucas   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2020, 12:35 pm »
Welcome!

When it comes to acoustical treatment and DSP you should proceed in this order:

1.) Read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" the seminal work for audiophiles to understand how speakers perform in-room;

2.) Pick the "right" room (size - bigger the better, shape - avoid cubic/low ceiling, acoustically isolated, not shared, ideal speaker/listener setup);

3.) Measure the room/speaker;

4.) Add treatments (suggest GIK, a sponsor here at Audio Circle, as a source for effective products/advice);

5.) Consider DSP (Room EQ Wizard - REW or Dirac) only as the icing on the cake.

These are the steps I took.  Was able to develop a dedicated, well sized/shaped, well insulated room when we built a house in 2004.  Have 10 GIK 2ft x 4ft 244 absorption panels and <500 Hz Dirac Live.  Setup is mid-field with a 3 subwoofer swarm. 

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:05 pm »
Welcome!

jlucas

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2020, 02:07 pm »
appreciate the comments
1) will do
2) not much choice in the matter unfortunately, hence the need for some correction
3) just started doing this with a UMIK-1 & REW, which subforum is best for discussion of measurements?
4) already in touch with GIK and just received their initial proposal
5) planning to apply via Roon convolution filters but I also have a borrowed MiniDSP to compare with