Tube amps, not integrated, to try

Escott1377

Re: Tube amps, not integrated, to try
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jul 2021, 08:38 pm »
I think you arguing semantics at this point since it is not a true triode design.  It simulates the output of a triode amp while yes, remaining a push pull as advertised.  I do not see any confusion there as I again, I never stated that it is ever a triode design for this amplifier.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #61 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:28 pm »
I think you arguing semantics at this point since it is not a true triode design.  It simulates the output of a triode amp while yes, remaining a push pull as advertised.  I do not see any confusion there as I again, I never stated that it is ever a triode design for this amplifier.

It has nothing to do with semantics, set = single ended triode, one output tube per channel.
Single ended (se) can be ran triode, pentode (tetrode), and ultralinear; push pull (pp) can be ran triode, pentode, and ultralinear.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #62 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:36 pm »
It has nothing to do with semantics, set = single ended triode, one output tube per channel.
Single ended (se) can be ran triode, pentode (tetrode), and ultralinear; push pull (pp) can be ran triode, pentode, and ultralinear.

Single-ended is not limited to one output tube per channel.  There are parallel single-ended amplifier designs which have 2 or 3 (I've never seen more than three) output power tubes per channel.   Each tube is run in single-ended mode. 

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #63 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:42 pm »

The Cary SLI-80 is a great sounding tube amps designed by Dennis Had at his peak.

The SLI-80 is a nice amp, but interestingly enough, Dennis is not a fan of push-pull amplifiers.  He designed them at Cary Audio to meet a market demand.  Since retiring from Cary, he has hand-built hundreds of amps and, I've been told by those close to him, that none have been push-pull.  He believes single-ended sounds superior. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #64 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:42 pm »
Single-ended is not limited to one output tube per channel.  There are parallel single-ended amplifier designs which have 2 or 3 (I've never seen more than three) output power tubes per channel.   Each tube is run in single-ended mode.

Considering the limited knowledge, I didn't want to wade too deep.
Please direct me to an amplifier that switches between se and pp operation (I've never seen one).

Owned an excellent McAlister Audio SE32 pse back in 2007.
15 watts/ch drove everything I threw at it.
http://www.mcalisteraudio.com/

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:53 pm »
Please direct me to an amplifier that switches between se and pp operation (I've never seen one).

Owned a McAlister Audio SE32 pse back in 2007.

I have never seen an amp that can switch between PP and SE.  Can't see how that could be done, but maybe I don't know enough.

I was talking about SE amps which run multiple tubes per channel in SE, not PP, mode.  I own two. 

Here's an ad for such a beast:  https://trueaudiophile.com/audion-sterling-stereo-kt88-anniversary-parallel-singleended-mono-amps/

One gets twice (or so) the power from a two tube per channel single-ended amp, but it is a difficult design to do well and it is hard to achieve the same clarity as in single tube per channel SE amps. 

My Dennis Had-built Inspire Parallel Single Ended amp can produce 23 wpc using two KT88 per channel.  I believe this drops to 16 wpc using EL34.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #66 on: 27 Jul 2021, 09:58 pm »
The poster that I was quoting has a push pull amplifier that is switchable between triode and ul.

I know what a pse tube amp is, I used to own one, but that has nothing to do with the misunderstanding above.

If he wants to learn more about tube amps he can do some reading since the information is not hard to find.

Docere

« Reply #67 on: 30 Jul 2021, 10:20 am »

Here you go: https://www.manley.com/hifi/nsepp

Meh.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #68 on: 30 Jul 2021, 12:45 pm »
Here you go: https://www.manley.com/hifi/nsepp

Meh.

Thanks, I figured one existed, but thought it would probably be diy.

Now would someone like to make a list of all the pp amps that are switchable between triode and ul or pentode?
Neither would I.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2021, 01:48 pm by opnly bafld »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 30 Jul 2021, 05:47 pm »
Thanks, I figured one existed, but thought it would probably be diy.

Now would someone like to make a list of all the pp amps that are switchable between triode and ul or pentode?
Neither would I.  :wink:
Remember the Ming Da amps but they are UL and dont do custom orders, maybe you could order a custom version according your needs at Reisong in Taiwan that Michael mentioned, at first glance it a nice inexpensive amp if it use hard wiring;
https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/reisong-tube-amplifier-boyuurange-audio-c-48/reisong-a20-kt88-tube-single-end-class-a-intergrated-amp-boyuurange-p-1346

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #70 on: 30 Jul 2021, 05:58 pm »
Remember the Ming Da amps but they are UL and dont do custom orders, maybe you could order a custom version according your needs at Reisong in Taiwan that Michael mentioned, at first glance it a nice inexpensive amp if it use hard wiring;
https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/reisong-tube-amplifier-boyuurange-audio-c-48/reisong-a20-kt88-tube-single-end-class-a-intergrated-amp-boyuurange-p-1346

Not interested in buying an amp.

Saw this in an amplifier review (Ayon Orion) from 11 years ago: "The amp is switchable between pentode (push-pull) and triode (single-ended) operation, producing 50 watts per channel in pentode and 30 in triode."
The amp being reviewed is switchable, but is still operating pp. Maybe an error in editing  :dunno:  or the reviewer...... :duh:

jtcf

« Reply #71 on: 30 Jul 2021, 08:45 pm »

Owned an excellent McAlister Audio SE32 pse back in 2007.
15 watts/ch drove everything I threw at it.
My Aric Audio Transcend amp can be switched between PP and single ended

Docere

« Reply #72 on: 30 Jul 2021, 09:29 pm »
My Aric Audio Transcend amp can be switched between PP and single ended

I don’t see a PP amp switchable to SE on the Aric Audio site; Plenty of Pentode (ultralinear) switchable to Triode.

mick wolfe

« Reply #73 on: 31 Jul 2021, 12:35 am »
The Transcend is a P-P amp that can be switched to "triode" mode. The designer seems to have come up with a few innovations that come closer to mimicking a SET, but when the dust settles, it's still another P-P amp with a triode switch. Not to say it isn't a superb sounding amp, but it's not an SET.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #74 on: 31 Jul 2021, 12:50 am »
A SET use fewer tubes also and less heat and electric bill, but 100dB sensitive speakers now a days are some rare and these speakers dont cost more for it.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #75 on: 31 Jul 2021, 02:14 am »
A SET use fewer tubes also and less heat and electric bill, but 100dB sensitive speakers now a days are some rare and these speakers dont cost more for it.

The sep Decware Mini Torii has 10 tubes, I've seen pse amps that have as many as 11.

My 4 tube 2 watt set is hooked up to 90 dB speakers, listening to Brubeck right now, Steely Dan last night, in my spare bedroom system.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 31 Jul 2021, 02:24 am »
The sep Decware Mini Torii has 10 tubes, I've seen pse amps that have as many as 11.

My 4 tube 2 watt set is hooked up to 90 dB speakers, listening to Brubeck right now, Steely Dan last night, in my spare bedroom system.
The only Decware amp I fell interesting are the Rachel 6W SET and double as headphone amp, the transformers are small but the new ufo OPTs look nice at 100kHz -3dB, they can be replaced after some years of use for someones bigger.

walkern

« Reply #77 on: 31 Jul 2021, 02:03 pm »
David Dicks at Common Sense Audio sells a single ended EL34 amp (it does have two switchable inputs, and a passive volume control... so it's sort of an integrated amp... but the most basic sort one could get), and an ultralinear EL 84 amp that sounds a LOT like a SET amp.  I sold Klipsch Heritage speakers for many many years and found that I liked EL84 based amps driving them better than any other tube (we sold some very nice amps from a variety of manufacturers), including some pricey SET 300B based amps.  The amps are nicely built, quite affordable ($1,000 for the EL 34, and $600 for the EL 84 amp). Both amps are conservatively rated at 10 wpc, so plenty of juice for your Cornwalls.  Here is a link:https://www.commonsenseaudio.com/nirvanaamps.html

Space limitations no longer allow me to use the large Klipsch speakers in home, but I am still using the EL84 Audio Nirvana amp (with a pair of compact bookshelf speakers in a bedroom system) and to me it sounds wonderfully musical without being syrupy or slow or ill defined in the bottom end.

mick wolfe

« Reply #78 on: 31 Jul 2021, 03:55 pm »
Visited his room (Common Sense) at RMAF several years ago. Great sound and a truly sensible approach and that included prices.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #79 on: 31 Jul 2021, 04:28 pm »
David Dicks at Common Sense Audio sells a single ended EL34 amp (it does have two switchable inputs, and a passive volume control... so it's sort of an integrated amp... but the most basic sort one could get)

Just an fyi for anyone interested, it is an ultralinear amp.