Met Opera on demand

RoadTripper

Met Opera on demand
« on: 30 Nov 2018, 06:12 am »
Does anybody around here use the Met Opera on Demand subscription service on their HT setup? Some reviews of it indicate it is pretty glitchy and may be a wasted $15 per month.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Met Opera on demand
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2018, 04:06 pm »
I just signed up and have 7 days free trial to see if it's worth the $15 a month.  It works fine on PC but I will try on my Roku at home and see if the 5.1 audio format recordings works on my HT set up.  I will explore and report back.  Thanks for alerting me to this.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2018, 05:50 pm by woodsyi »

RoadTripper

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:47 pm »
You said you'd see if it is worth the $15 per week. Did you mean "per month"?

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:53 pm »
You said you'd see if it is worth the $15 per week. Did you mean "per month"?

Week, Month. :slap:

Week was in my mind because I was mentally reminding myself that I have 1 week of free trial.

RoadTripper

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2018, 05:59 pm »
Ah.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2018, 03:56 pm »
So I have been testing it out and took in a few operas old and new.  Sound quality is fine for me using my HT processor, Onkyo PR-SC5530 .  It sounds best on direct mode which defaults to 2.1 format.  I asked Met and they confirm that all recordings, both audio only and video old or new, are streamed in Stereo CD-quality 16-bit 44.1 kHz audio.  So the quality of HT sound depends on your processor that is converting the original broadcast signal to multichannel of your choice.  I think I am keeping the service until I get through the catalog which is extensive.  I like it.  I plan to listen only in direct (pass through) stereo mode.

RoadTripper

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:16 pm »
This is great. Thanks for the report. From what you said, it sounds like some of the operas have no video. Is that correct? I could have read it wrong.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2018, 07:59 pm »
Yes,  there are some that are audio only but the video catalog is quite extensive.  There are some fascinating off the beaten path pieces that I am going to enjoy seeing -- I have seen production(s) of most popular ones live at some point, some where in the last 30 years.  It just occurred to me that I have their 2012 Ring Cycle on Bluray which has both stereo and hirez 5.1.  It's produced by DG.  I am wondering if it is hirez stereo as well.  I will have to compare the bluray to streaming on demand.  I am really not that much interested in audio only as I have at least 300 boxed LP opera sets and thousands of highlights, recitals and other vocal/choral records that I listen to regularly.  Vinyl sounds better to me though some hirez digital are pretty darned good too.

billc

« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2018, 08:59 pm »
If you like streamed high quality classical audio/video, have you seen the Berliner Philharmoniker web site?

https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/home

I have been getting promotional emails for a while, and the concerts look fantastic, but I have not taken the plunge yet.  I would appreciate hearing of others experiences with the site!

Bill C

RoadTripper

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2018, 09:03 pm »
Yes, I spotted this service perusing all the pre-loaded apps on my Samsung 4K DVD player. Were money not an object, I'd be doing this for sure.

OldNick

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2022, 01:56 am »
Well, I know it's old school, but I have an old H.H.Scott LT-110 FM tuner (tube) for the sole purpose of listening to the Met Opera matinee broadcasts.  Probably easily get better sound from their streaming service but it just sounds right this way somehow  :D

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2022, 09:22 pm »
My daughter loves her opera and never had any problem with this channel on our Roku.

peterpa

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2023, 08:03 pm »
I have subscribed to Met Opera on Demand for 3 years and enjoyed every session without any glitches. I would love to hear opinions on the best way to get the audio into a HiFi system: as far as I know my only way is via an optical feed from my TV into my pre-amp. Is there any better way? Although I love what I'm hearing, if there is a better way I want to know about it.