Pro iDSD is the Kitchen Sink!

slash71

Re: Pro iDSD is the Kitchen Sink!
« Reply #40 on: 6 Mar 2018, 07:51 am »
Device port is the Dac.
In computer terminology host port is the controller and device is ‘pheripheral’.

JohnR

« Reply #41 on: 6 Mar 2018, 09:09 am »
Presumably the host port is for

• USB-Memory/Harddrive – Linkplay

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 8 Mar 2018, 06:13 pm »

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 9 Mar 2018, 10:02 pm »
iFi audio has recently returned from a couple of outstanding audio shows – CanJam in New York City and Bristol Sound and Vision in the UK.

As promised, audiences had the chance to audition the pre-production model of the new Pro iDSD. This gave us the invaluable opportunity to gather feedback from the end user, directly.

We couldn’t miss out on the final chance to let our potential customers drive the Pro concept forward just one more time.

So, as is our want, we have taken the feedback on board and are tweaking the hardware and the software in response to these comments.

It seems that certain markets required the additional 2.5mm headphone socket and some the 4.4mm – so we’re doing both. Watch this space for more info on how and why!

Inevitably this will have an impact on the official launch date of both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iRack which we intend to launch together.

Skin says he needs until the end of May to implement these tweaks and will be able to give us a definite launch date nearer the time.

gerb0075

« Reply #44 on: 10 Mar 2018, 01:25 am »
Can you guys at least make the Pro iDSD user manual available on the iFi website?!!  I, for one, would appreciate the opportunity to go throuh the manual prior to the actual release of the product.  Thanks for your consideration.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 11 Mar 2018, 03:15 am »
Can you guys at least make the Pro iDSD user manual available on the iFi website?!!  I, for one, would appreciate the opportunity to go throuh the manual prior to the actual release of the product.  Thanks for your consideration.

I like that idea.  I have one.  I will ask if I may distribute it if the website is not updated.

gerb0075

« Reply #46 on: 12 Mar 2018, 02:15 am »
I like that idea.  I have one.  I will ask if I may distribute it if the website is not updated.

Sounds great!  Thanks very much.

gerb0075

« Reply #47 on: 12 Mar 2018, 02:35 am »
iFi audio has recently returned from a couple of outstanding audio shows – CanJam in New York City and Bristol Sound and Vision in the UK.

As promised, audiences had the chance to audition the pre-production model of the new Pro iDSD. This gave us the invaluable opportunity to gather feedback from the end user, directly.

We couldn’t miss out on the final chance to let our potential customers drive the Pro concept forward just one more time.

So, as is our want, we have taken the feedback on board and are tweaking the hardware and the software in response to these comments.

It seems that certain markets required the additional 2.5mm headphone socket and some the 4.4mm – so we’re doing both. Watch this space for more info on how and why!

Inevitably this will have an impact on the official launch date of both the Pro iDSD and the Pro iRack which we intend to launch together.

Skin says he needs until the end of May to implement these tweaks and will be able to give us a definite launch date nearer the time.

Will purchasers have the option to purchase either version, depending on their individual needs/preferences?  Or, will you limit distribution to only one version per market? 

Finally, speaking for the entire iFI enthusiast community, can you PLEASE release the version with the 2.5mm socket on 3/15/18 as most recently promised?!!  You must have a supply of these units ready as their release was FINALLY supposed to take place this week. :)

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 12 Mar 2018, 04:28 pm »
Will purchasers have the option to purchase either version, depending on their individual needs/preferences?  Or, will you limit distribution to only one version per market? 

Finally, speaking for the entire iFI enthusiast community, can you PLEASE release the version with the 2.5mm socket on 3/15/18 as most recently promised?!!  You must have a supply of these units ready as their release was FINALLY supposed to take place this week. :)

I am not positive if folks in the U.S. will have access to the 4.4mm version yet.  I have asked the question.

Speaking for me too  :duh:  Due to the 4.4mm version being put into the mix the team has decided to continue work on the firmware to make it bulletproof.  A lot more testing protocols have been added to ensure the release is smooooooth.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 31 May 2018, 06:02 am »
iFi Audio Pro iDSD
The official Launch release

Having sparked a revolution with its low-cost DACs that offered music fans portable 256 stereo for less than £500 a few years ago, iFi has maintained its position at the vanguard of the audio world with the launch of the ground-breaking Pro iDSD. There is simply nothing like it.

We have paid great attention to every section of this DAC/headphone-amp/preamp – no stone has been left unturned. Tried and tested classic noise reduction techniques found in tube equipment have been combined with cutting-edge, 21st century technology to deliver a superlative performance.

The quad section uses a quad “stack” of Bit-Perfect DSD and DXD DACs by Burr-Brown in a custom “interleaved” configuration. This arrangement enables a total of eight pairs of differential signals to be used and mixed totalling four pairs of signals per channel.

In a nutshell

The iFi Pro iDSD is a revolutionary DAC that combines a number of different features to give your home audio system the best possible playback resolution and sound. It can handle all audio formats to DSD1024 or DSD512 or PCM 768K with user-selectable digital filters.

Wireless Playback

With LINKPLAY™ WiFi/network playback, built-in Spotify and Tidal, and wide protocol support for 32-Bit/192kHz and DSD64, the Pro iDSD can directly link to a router for online music play. This gives it the option to:

• Play direct from SD card
• Link to a router and directly stream (TIDAL/MQA, Spotify etc)
• Use DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) via music stored on HDD

It’s taken a while to come to market but, boy, has it been worth it. This innovative digital engine will shape the next generation of iFi products and they will rock the digital world.

The gang of four

A quad “stack” of Bit-Perfect DSD and DXD DACs by Burr-Brown work in a custom “interleaved” configuration so that up to eight pairs of differential signals can be used and mixed.

Digital Processing

The new XMOS XU216 X-Core 200 Series 16-Core processor has a maximum of 2,000 MIPS (two billion instructions per second) calculation power in dual-issue mode as a USB interface.

Crysopeia FPGA Digital Engine

The FPGA excels, by handling the up-sampling duties to attain the DSD1024 audio format. In fact, the Pro iDSD can handle all audio formats to DSD1024 or DSD512 or PCM 768K with user-selectable digital filters.

Wireless playback

With LINKPLAY™ WiFi/network playback, built-in Spotify and Tidal, and wide protocol support for 32-Bit/192kHz and DSD64, the Pro iDSD can directly link to a router for online music play.

Many format options

It can handle all audio formats to DSD1024 or DSD512 or PCM 768K with user-selectable digital filters and also gives the user the option to listen to tracks via MQA.

Sample Rates:
  • PCM up to 768kHz
  • DSD up to 24.576MHz
  • DXD and double speed DXD (2xDXD)

Inputs:
  • USB (required for DSD, DXD and sample rates above 192KHz)
  • AES3 (XLR - single link)
  • SPDIF (RCA/Optical combo)
  • BNC multifunction In (SPDIF/AES3id In, DARS In, 10MHz In, Atomic clock in)
  • BNC multifunction Sync Out (DARS out, 10MHz out)

Outputs:
  • Balanced XLR at 4.6V (+15.5dBu - HiFi) or 10V (+22dBu - Pro)
    Single-Ended RCA at 2.3V (HiFi) or 5V (Pro)
    Headphones 6.3mm & SE 3.5mm Jack at 0.55V/2.1V/5V
    Headphones BAL 2.5mm Jack at 1.13V/4.6V/10V
    Headphones out 1,500mW RMS X 2 @ 64 ohm, 4,000mW max. 2 X @ 16 Ohm

Volume Control:
  • Balanced (quad) Alps potentiometer, motorised with IR remote control
  • XLR/RCA outputs can be selected as fixed level or adjusted
  • 6.3mm Headphone Jack is always adjusted

Other Functions:
  • Various digital and analogue filters can be selected for DSD and PCM up to 192KHz

PCM Filters:
  • Bit perfect (no digital filter, minimal analogue filter)

44.1 - 192KHz, always used for 352.8 - 768kHz
  • Bit perfect II (no digital filter, analogue filter corrects HF roll-off)

44.1 - 96kHz
  • Minimum Phase (Filter minimises pre- and post-ringing)

44.1 - 192KHz
  • Standard FIR (Brickwall Filter)

44.1 - 192KHz
  • Additional fixed second order analogue filter @ 80kHz

DSD Filters:
  • Four different filters (selectable) with varying bandwidth
  • Additional fixed second order analogue filter @ 80kHz

The retail price of the Pro iDSD is:
  • US $2,499 (ex-tax)
  • €2,749 (incl. VAT)
  • £2,499 (incl. VAT)

And lastly, Wojciech Pacuła of Polish HighFidelity.pl reviewed Pro iDSD and awarded it his Red Fingerprint. English version of this publication is to be found here:
http://www.highfidelity.pl/@main-828&lang=en
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 02:36 pm by iFi Tyler »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #50 on: 31 May 2018, 06:43 am »
Finally!  :D I have been waiting for this announcement (more or less patiently) since the first teaser.

I'd like to audition one.

Regards,

Michael

PM sent.

OzarkTom

« Reply #51 on: 5 Jun 2018, 06:19 pm »
Audition? Sign me up please! :thumb:

richbroth

« Reply #52 on: 7 Jun 2018, 03:57 am »
Do we just contact our local stockist for the 4.4mm version?

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 7 Jun 2018, 03:27 pm »
Do we just contact our local stockist for the 4.4mm version?

Yes, please ask them.  If you don't give you the answer you want then reach out to me.  I will help ya!

A_shah

« Reply #54 on: 7 Jun 2018, 06:21 pm »
No tour but I believe I will have a couple to loan out.  May I put you on a list of folks to contact once the units arrive?

Count me in on the Loan out , when available.
Present system PS Audio DirectStream DAC.,Don Sach's DS-2 preamp,QuickSilver Mono amps , Cardis Clear Channel cables, Daedalus Poseidon (MTTM) speakers
2nd System( ) KEf LS 50 with Schiit Gungnir and Loaner QS audio Integrated tube amp.
3. Desk top system Kef LS 50W
4. Mojo , DAC/HP , Audeze LX Headphone with Audeze Class A HP Deckard 4 watts of Class A power
5. Odyssey Kismet amplifier , Parasound Halo Integrated
Member San Francisco  audiophile Society

Asghar
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2018, 01:34 am by A_shah »

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 20 Jun 2018, 05:13 am »
One customer wrote "I had major issues when I had an iDSD BL a while ago, with volume control driving my MrSpeakers AEON Closed. I couldn't use past 9 o'clock on the volume knob using 'Normal'. And the high and ultra IEMatch settings restricted dynamics way too much and I wasn't able to enjoy these settings."

We offered the following as a reply:

'Normal' is equal to 12dB gain. So it is more gain to the HP than iDSD Pro in the middle (9dB) position. 'Normal' on the iDSD micro in effect matched the original iCAN micro in the lower gain setting.

In 'Eco' mode headphone gain is 0dB so this should be used if there is not enough adjustment range for the volume control. This is also stated in the manual.

For iDSD Pro, we selected slightly lower gain levels, as the balanced output is 6dB 'hotter', so going for 0/9/18dB kind of breaks the difference in half, for balanced the effective gains are 6/15/24dB.

bodhifile

« Reply #56 on: 25 Jul 2018, 05:22 am »
Hello, looks amazing! Are the drivers stable with the current macOS? Also, has this been tested in a professional audio situation with DAWs? I am wondering if this would be a stable option as a mastering DAC in conjunction with other interfaces. I see it can receive clock etc. Thanks!

iFi David

• Facilitator
  • iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #57 on: 28 Aug 2018, 11:17 pm »
iFi audio - The GTO filter
Part 1/4 - The TL;DR

What iFi GTOTM is?

Based on AMR’s ‘Organic’ mode, the further refined iFi GTOTM Digital Filter resolves a number of audible problems associated with both classic digital filters AND non-oversampling systems, sounds on par (or better in optimal systems) to the latter and its transient optimised performance is similar.

How iFi GTOTM does it?

Our GTOTM filter tuned to fit inside the ‘ringing envelope’ of our own hearing makes ultrasonic ringing objectively measurable yet not perceived. It essentially ‘masks’ this time-domain distortion to make it inaudible.

Why do I want iFi GTOTM?

Because it provides natural sound free from audible time domain distortion!

dburna

« Reply #58 on: 29 Aug 2018, 02:55 pm »
I would love to learn more about the Gibbs Transient Optimised filter. I have the Pro iDSD on loan now (thanks, Tyler) and the GTO filter is my favorite so far.....even though I have NO idea what it does or how it does it. It sounds relaxed/natural, however. Kudos to the engineer behind this one!

-dGB

iFi audio - The GTO filter
Part 1/4 - The TL;DR

What iFi GTOTM is?

Based on AMR’s ‘Organic’ mode, the further refined iFi GTOTM Digital Filter resolves a number of audible problems associated with both classic digital filters AND non-oversampling systems, sounds on par (or better in optimal systems) to the latter and its transient optimised performance is similar.

How iFi GTOTM does it?

Our GTOTM filter tuned to fit inside the ‘ringing envelope’ of our own hearing makes ultrasonic ringing objectively measurable yet not perceived. It essentially ‘masks’ this time-domain distortion to make it inaudible.

Why do I want iFi GTOTM?

Because it provides natural sound free from audible time domain distortion!

iFi David

• Facilitator
  • iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
« Reply #59 on: 29 Aug 2018, 07:16 pm »
I would love to learn more about the Gibbs Transient Optimised filter. I have the Pro iDSD on loan now (thanks, Tyler) and the GTO filter is my favorite so far.....even though I have NO idea what it does or how it does it. It sounds relaxed/natural, however. Kudos to the engineer behind this one!

-dGB

We'll be gradually releasing tech behind our GTO very shortly. Stay strong, we'll deliver.