SPDIF iPurifier

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
SPDIF iPurifier
« on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:20 pm »
 Well, well, well. If you use a DAC give this device a hardy try. Out of the box was not impressed. This baby needs some break in time. You will NOT hear the benefits of this device until a minimum of 200 playing  hours are on it.
    Main digital source is a Lector 7TL CDP as a transport, a Mad Scientist carbon fiber digital cable [ HDC+] and the VU JADE DHT DAC with 101D output tubes. Quite a set up with proper tonality and harmonics.
     To be honest the Vu Jade manf. and myself were quite skeptical as to the insertion of the ifi Purifier. To put it bluntly the result was an eye opener. Focus, sound stage, separation of instruments, depth were all improved. It was a rocky round though until the putifier had hours on it. BTW noise you thought you did not have is gone. Transparency without lean sound. Brilliant !!
I can understand if others found a different outcome. If you do not have the time or are unwilling to break this device in stay away however if you do you are making a huge mistake.
     It just sounds right. No digital artifacts. Just music with a natural warm glow of ease and grace. No hyped up sound here. I can on all day with those fancy "audiophile" phrases about performance but I will not. Just try one.
     One of my customers uses a CEC 01 transport and Weiss Medea DAC. Now using the Purifier and not taking it out. I am NOT a iFi dealer just enamored over this reclocking wonder.
     From inexpensive to mega buck digital set ups the ipurifier will make an improvement for the good. Most highly recommended.

charles

jMelvin

Re: SPDIF iPurifier
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2017, 01:34 pm »
I've had one of these little wonder-gizmos in my system since mid October and I agree .. it just sounds right. It's funny, I liked what I heard almost from the moment I inserted it into my system but it wasn't until I removed it that I really understood what it brings to the table. I wouldn't be without one for a SPDIF connection.

FWIW, I also have a Wyred 4 Sound bLINK re-clocker which re-samples everything to 24/96 regardless of what it's fed and is one reason I gave the iFi a spin. Unlike the W4S, the signal remains bit-perfect with the SPDIF iPurifier and yes, I do hear a difference. Icing on the cake .. the price of the iFi device is significantly less than the W4S.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2017, 04:28 pm by jMelvin »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2017, 03:22 pm »
What size is the optical out on this device? Mini toslink?
Thanks.

jMelvin

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2017, 04:25 pm »
What size is the optical out on this device? Mini toslink?
Thanks.

Yes, mini. Adaptors are included btw.

Chris Adams

« Reply #4 on: 11 Feb 2017, 05:49 pm »
Charles,

Thanks for the tip. I have a VU JADE DHT DAC (that is if I ever get it back from Peter) and I'm using a W4S Remedy with good results. I just ordered an iPurifier. It will be interesting to hear the difference. I like that it plugs right in to the SPDIF with no extra cable necessary like the Remedy.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2017, 07:27 pm »
Should clarify that there is the iPurifier and iPurifier 2. Not sure if the former is still avalailable; last I knew the iP2 was being sold for only a few bucks more. And yes, the iP2 definitely works as advertised.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2017, 08:18 pm »
Should clarify that there is the iPurifier and iPurifier 2. Not sure if the former is still avalailable; last I knew the iP2 was being sold for only a few bucks more. And yes, the iP2 definitely works as advertised.

Are you saying there is a spdif ipurifier 2 or are you referring to the just ipurifier 2 that's USB B? Looks like there's also a ipurifier 2 USB 3.0. Ifi has been busy...

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 12 Feb 2017, 05:33 pm »
Are you saying there is a spdif ipurifier 2 or are you referring to the just ipurifier 2 that's USB B? Looks like there's also a ipurifier 2 USB 3.0. Ifi has been busy...

Whoops that's true, the spdif doesn't have a v2. Got them mixed up.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #8 on: 12 Feb 2017, 05:41 pm »
Whoops that's true, the spdif doesn't have a v2. Got them mixed up.

With Ifi's track record, it seems inevitable there will be a spdif ipurifier 2. I'm on the tour for itube 2 so I'll see if it is indeed better the second time around.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #9 on: 12 Feb 2017, 06:59 pm »
I actually heard results imediately with the SPDF ipurifier . I will have to try removing it and see if I hear the difference

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #10 on: 13 Feb 2017, 03:39 am »
I actually heard results imediately with the SPDF ipurifier . I will have to try removing it and see if I hear the difference

Update please! :D

Ric Schultz

« Reply #11 on: 13 Feb 2017, 10:50 pm »
Is Vu Jade Audio in business?  Website non existent.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2017, 12:05 am »
Is Vu Jade Audio in business?  Website non existent.

http://www.vujadeaudio.com/

Edit:  Just realized this is Abbingdon Music Research / iFi industry circle.  Delete if not appropriate.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2017, 01:56 am »
Thanks,
Search just brought up links that would not work (maybe they were down for awhile).  I see the Vu Jade DAC is now listed as $12,500.  I guess you first guys got the deal.  I don't think I will be buying one soon.....he he.  I bet it is killer.  I am going to order one of the SPDIF iPurifiers tomorrow.  Nothing but raves on this thing, so far.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2017, 05:27 pm »
    Gents do try reversing the power supply as the plug is not polarized. It will sound different when reversed. Will you like it ? Depends on your system so give it a go.
    Experiment where you plug it in as well. Some prefer no power conditioner while others do. I did not like it plugged into my PIAudio Digibuss which is plugged into an Uberbuss. Liked it into the Uber only. Please experiment, ya never know until you try.

charles

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2017, 10:12 pm »
    Gents do try reversing the power supply as the plug is not polarized. It will sound different when reversed. Will you like it ? Depends on your system so give it a go.
    Experiment where you plug it in as well. Some prefer no power conditioner while others do. I did not like it plugged into my PIAudio Digibuss which is plugged into an Uberbuss. Liked it into the Uber only. Please experiment, ya never know until you try.

charles

Do you think that DC iPurifier could benefit from a linear PS such as the Acopian unit with their very low o.25 mVRMS ripple. ?

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2017, 11:09 pm »
Do you think that DC iPurifier could benefit from a linear PS such as the Acopian unit with their very low o.25 mVRMS ripple. ?

Only one way to find out. Personally I found the ipower made high pitched noise so I'm not confident it can compete with a decent linear.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #17 on: 19 Feb 2017, 10:44 pm »
Got one of these babies in and after you damp all connections with EARSD40AL (both in and out and all power)......this thing rocks.  Without damping it is OK.  You must damp all connections.  I also removed the toslink connector and heard more air....but this is for advanced tweakers.  Never heard this level of detail before......simply incredible what the damping does........damp or distortion....which would you choose?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #18 on: 19 Feb 2017, 10:56 pm »
Got one of these babies in and after you damp all connections with EARSD40AL (both in and out and all power)......this thing rocks.  Without damping it is OK.  You must damp all connections.  I also removed the toslink connector and heard more air....but this is for advanced tweakers.  Never heard this level of detail before......simply incredible what the damping does........damp or distortion....which would you choose?

How do you damp rca connections with EARSD40?

Ric Schultz

« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2017, 11:15 pm »
You must get this right....it is not EARSD40......it is EARSD40AL......a world of difference.  The AL stands for aluminum....there is a 5 mil thick layer on top....the stuff without the aluminum sounds like polymer (plastic like).

You cut and stick on.  It has sticky backing.  You run it between all surfaces....for instance along the IFI body and bend it right angle and run it on to the power connector.  You wrap the ground part of the rca connector with it....well, it does not bend very well but even just wrapping as far as you can will do the job.

EARSD40AL available from Michael Percy Audio....no where else that I know of.