Integrated amp with internal DAC?

albireo13

Integrated amp with internal DAC?
« on: 19 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm »
Looking to go all digital on my 2ch system and would like an integrated amp with an internal DAC to minimize cabling and clutter.
The Peachtree Nova looks nice but, is it the only game in town?

Phil A

Re: Integrated amp with internal DAC?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm »
Is there a particular budget?  There are more units that just the Peachtree.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2015, 12:53 pm »
The Peachtree Nova series (65SE/125SE/220SE) currently sells from $800 - $1600, so I assume that's your price range.

Depending on the number and type of digital inputs needed, the NuPrime IDA-8 (1-USB, 1-RCA Coax, 1-Optical TOSLINK) @ $995 is a nice integrated with DAC.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm »
The Peachtree Nova series (65SE/125SE/220SE) currently sells from $800 - $1600, so I assume that's your price range.

Depending on the number and type of digital inputs needed, the NuPrime IDA-8 (1-USB, 1-RCA Coax, 1-Optical TOSLINK) @ $995 is a nice integrated with DAC.

Steve

Beat me to it by a second!  Good Job!

bacobits1

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2015, 01:36 pm »
DAC's and technology are moving too fast to restrict yourself to an integrated and DAC included.
But that's me. Lots of nice used stuff out there too.

fiveoclockfriday

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2015, 01:54 pm »
I've looked these up myself not too long ago...You have many choices! Here are some I can remember:

Marantz pm7005
Naim Unitiqute/Unitilite/Uniti
Parasound Halo Integrated
NAD 390DD
Some other NADs with optional DAC card
Creek Evo 50A w/optional DAC card
Bel Canto (not sure models but a bunch have DACs)
Musical Fidelity M3si/m6si
lower end Yamaha AS series

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2015, 03:05 pm »
The Vinnie Rossi LIO Modular Audio System has plug in modules so the DAC will never be out of date.
http://vinnierossi.com/

Converts both PCM and DSD digital audio streams to pristine analog
Bit-perfect playback at sampling rates from 44.1kHz to 384kHz (16, 24, or 32 bit compatible). Sample rates are viewable from front panel display
Dual-mono design, with one premium AKM AK4399 d/a chip per channel
Asynchronous, integer-mode USB functionality
Select between 0 and 180 degree PHASE settings via remote handset (and the LIO app - coming soon)
Toggle between linear-phase and minimal-phase digital filters via remote handset (and the LIO app - coming soon)
On-board re-clocking circuitry considerably reduces jitter
Galvanic isolation used for oscillator and re-clocking circuitry
Ultra-low noise, linear voltage regulators used throughout
USB and SPDIF (75 Ohm coaxial and optical) input jacks
Connect up to three devices and switch between them via the remote handset
Swappable daughter board that contains the d/a converter chips and analog output stage – so you can easily upgrade performance as new technologies become available in the future

There is a LIO with the DAC module in Tucson and a group of us have a listening session on the 29th.

Wayne

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2015, 03:18 pm »
I went DAC/pre-amp/headphone-amp (with remote) to simplify and reduce clutter.  Now I can go 1 of 3 routes:

1.) Add headphones and be done (compact,cheap, low domestic impact);

2.) Add powered/active speakers and be done (just three boxes);

3.) Continue to use with my current mono-blocks and single driver speakers (default active speakers).

srb

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2015, 05:32 pm »
DAC's and technology are moving too fast to restrict yourself to an integrated and DAC included.

if a DAC section sounds good to your ears today, it will also sound good 10 or 15 years from now, regardless of "advances" in DAC design.

While the Vinnie Rossio LIO is a beautiful piece and is upgradeable (and I'd love to have one), not everyone has $4680 to spend for a digital input amp/DAC.  But the concept is sound in that having a well-designed integrated amplifier/DAC with short internal signal paths without external interconnects can often outperform separates.

In the lower budget range, integrated amp/DACs like the NuPrime IDA-8 and others, even if not upgradeable, make an awful lot of sense.

Steve

Doublej

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2015, 05:55 pm »
Add NAD D-3020 to the list.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2015, 06:22 pm »
Albireo,

Howdy. I just recently decided to go the route you're inquiring about. I have ordered (but not yet received) a new Nuprime IDA-8 integrated amp/DAC unit. It's got 100w/channel into 8 ohms and 200 into 4 ohms. It's a class A/class D amp.

I'm leaving for Taiwan in three weeks. My new IDA-8 will be delivered a couple days after I arrive there. For the money, and the features, I decided that this amp would best fit my needs. My listening room(s) will be fairly small, so I won't need tons of power. I had seriously considered the Peachtree Nova 125SE, but I decided to take a chance on this new amp. I expect to be very happy with it.

Once I get to play with it a bit, I'll post my impressions (in approximately 4 weeks). Bear in mind I'll be using brand spanking new speakers as well. I've narrowed speakers down to just two possibilities. I'll announce my selection once I make my final decision.

Best of luck in your search!

Michael

albireo13

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2015, 11:54 pm »
The IDA-8 sounds like a good deal.  I need just one digital input.
100w/ch is great.
My budget is < $1500

gjohnson1713

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2021, 06:35 pm »
You might consider an Exposure 3010s2d integrated with a DAC card.  I have one, but with a MM phono card, and absolutely love it--beautiful texture and corporality that some call tube-like.  A used 3010s2d without either a phono card or DAC card would be just a bit above your budget (when they come onto the market, which is not often), and you would  then need to purchase the DAC card separately and install it (which should be fairly easy).  But I think you would find the result very satisfying.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2021, 09:53 pm »
I would also consider the Cambridge Audio CXA81 if you do not need 200wpc.  I have not heard it but What HiFi gave it an excellent write up.  I like Cambridge Audio gear.   I use to own the 851c CDP.  Also, the newer PeachTree gear is supposed to sound very good.  I think they have a new owner and stepped things up a bit if I am not mistaken.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/cambridge-audio-cxa81

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2021, 12:10 am »
You might consider an Exposure 3010s2d integrated with a DAC card.  I have one, but with a MM phono card, and absolutely love it--beautiful texture and corporality that some call tube-like.  A used 3010s2d without either a phono card or DAC card would be just a bit above your budget (when they come onto the market, which is not often), and you would  then need to purchase the DAC card separately and install it (which should be fairly easy).  But I think you would find the result very satisfying.

I would also consider the Cambridge Audio CXA81 if you do not need 200wpc.  I have not heard it but What HiFi gave it an excellent write up.  I like Cambridge Audio gear.   I use to own the 851c CDP.  Also, the newer PeachTree gear is supposed to sound very good.  I think they have a new owner and stepped things up a bit if I am not mistaken.

https://www.whathifi.com/us/reviews/cambridge-audio-cxa81

I used to respond to old threads without even noticing how enough time had passed that the OP (or other posters in the thread) had long ago made their purchase. It's also likely that he/she has moved on to some other gear since albireo13 began this thread in August of 2015...

I did receive my IDA-8 and found it too underpowered to drive my 82.5dB speakers (no surprise). I was very disappointed in the combination. The amp was incompatible with the speakers, but the amp (IDA-8) is a great little integrated amp that I finally gave to my son about 13 months ago. I've missed it ever since, and I'm probably going to buy a barely used one to replace it.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2021, 12:22 am »
LOL,  I did not notice the date!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2021, 12:26 am »
For a little less money than the Exposure 3010 mentioned above is the Exposure XM5.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2021, 03:16 am by opnly bafld »

tampark89

« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2021, 04:40 am »
Any love for Hegel rost or 120/190? I am trying match with Dyanaudio Evoke 20 with Hegel. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

audioholic1976

« Reply #19 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:21 pm »
Consider a Cyrus ONE HD.
It is compact, Does up to DSD128 through USB, has aptX bluetooth, MM Phono stage, AV pass through, pre out and headphone output.
Please contact me if you want more info and a great deal on a brand new one.
https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/cyrus-one-hd/