Super V co-axial baffle in granite?

Trismos

Super V co-axial baffle in granite?
« on: 26 Nov 2012, 12:20 am »
Hello

I had ordered and built the SW-12-16FR Servo Sub Woofer kit with the plans on that page ( http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/obsub.pdf ) My 'best scenario' plans would have me buy another pair of subs and the P-Audio drivers at some point to build the Super Vs. Well luck would have it that it only cost me a nice little diamond bracelet! (Over and above...)  So they're on the way.

Now two things: I am going to build the Vs with the lower cabinet as per the sub woofer cabinet design above. And I was thinking of having the P-Audio co-axials set in a granite baffle.

Thoughts on either idea would be appreciated!

[/img]

richidoo

Re: Super V co-axial baffle in granite?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2012, 12:43 am »
Looks pretty!  Nice idea to adapt your existing sub.

Granite is a nice idea, grogeous to look at, stiff and heavy, but think about how you will attach the driver, and how you will get the granite parts made to the precision required.  Can they drill the bolt holes small enough?  Laminating MDF + plywood is pretty free of resonances.

The drivers will vibrate a lot and the coax assy will be front heavy, so needs to be bolted or glued down to the subs.

A loose drawer on the bottom for amp will rattle around, so think of a way to isolate it from vibration probably need to bolt it down somehow, or prevent rattling with rubber strips, etc.

Don't let the tweeter be too low. It should be about 40" above the floor. Rebuild the sub boxes if necessary to avoid looking down at the music, that's annoying.

Are you gonna use Danny's SuperV crossover? Make sure the coax baffle diameter and shape are similar to his cabinet's shape.

Good luck! We want pictures!  :drool:
Rich

Trismos

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:00 am »
Thanks Rich

I've approached a number of granite companies asking about how this may be done, drilling the speaker holes, routing the countersink, mounting the granite to wood..... their has been a dearth of responses. It may be possible but it may be more expensive than it's worth. I have a pair of N3TLs at the moment with purple heart baffles and they're gorgeous. I may go that way.

I wasn't sure about putting the amp there and would line the drawer with felt or some such thing if I went that way.

Yes, I am using Danny's crossover. The baffle itself will be the same as the design on his website but as you see, the supporting wings are a bit different. Danny mentioned how the "wings" add some physical dimension to the actual baffle. It's interesting how much of a science there actually is to building cross overs.

Thanks for your comment.

ebag4

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:27 am »
I would want to make certain the servo amp has enough air movement to keep it cool.  I haven't really noticed any excessive heat with mine but the face of the plate amp is a heatsink.

Good luck and please provide pics!

Best,
Ed

Trismos

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:46 am »
I would want to make certain the servo amp has enough air movement to keep it cool.  I haven't really noticed any excessive heat with mine but the face of the plate amp is a heatsink.

Good luck and please provide pics!

Best,
Ed

I had thought about the heat. I thought that maybe I'd put the cross overs down there also. I don't see many pics anywhere of the V1 or Super-V with what was done with the amps. My N3s have outboard cross overs, about 3' away. Both my amp and cross over for this build will probably be the same.

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:51 am »
I believe Tasar and a gentleman from Canada (Bill?) built the amps into their SuperVs.

I have also read a warning from Danny concerning locating the crossover and the plate amp too close together, I believe this was due to the potential of electrical noise being induced into the crossover.

Best,
Ed

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2012, 01:56 am »
I'm in the middle of my SuperV build as well.
The granite looks like it may be a real looker.
I believe Danny said the dimensions of the total
baffle with wings included was right around 23" +/-
The only reason I bring this up is your sketch
seems like it may be a lot less, you may want to redesign
your wings to provide more area.

I had my V1 amps in a separate enclosure...
This time I will keep it separate but slightly different
for easier access. 

Good luck with your build, I'm having a ball with mine.
Pics please....lots of pics.

Perry

Trismos

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2012, 02:04 am »

for easier access. 

Perry

With the way I was curving my 'wings I thought I may have too much area. The design seems less http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

I promise pics!!

Trismos

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2012, 02:06 am »

for easier access. 

Perry

I am TOTALLY envious of your room!

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2012, 03:17 am »
With the way I was curving my 'wings I thought I may have too much area. The design seems less http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/supervbox.pdf

I promise pics!!

Yeah, that was one of my concerns.

What you don't want is the coaxial driver to be in a three sided box. That can cause a cavity resonance in the upper frequency ranges that the woofer covers if the space gets too boxed in. They look thin at the top but long at the base.

Check out the rear pics.

Note how short the sides are to each side of the driver and how high the driver is up over the floor below. The crossover box really breaks it up a little too.

As for the granite pieces. You won't really gain anything by using it in the baffle, but you could tighten up the bass response quite a bit if it was on the side panels.

I have been using 1.25" thick MDF for the side panels on the Super-V and found that it still benefits a lot from lining it with No Rez. Those woofers put a lot of force on those side panels. The more solid that they are the better.

Also, you will be tweaking the controls on that amp quite a bit getting it dialed in. Putting it in a box would be a pain. You also have a power cable and an interconnect that has to be plugged into the amp, and they stick straight up off of it.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:27 am »
Also, you will be tweaking the controls on that amp quite a bit getting it dialed in. Putting it in a box would be a pain. You also have a power cable and an interconnect that has to be plugged into the amp, and they stick straight up off of it.

Danny, I just looked back at some pictures Perry posted of his newly delivered kit, in particular of the servo plate amp.  I see the power connector is just screwed into the plate on a little pigtail of cable, so that doesn't look like it would be hard to move to the side of a box, but how about the RCA connectors at the top?  Could someone theoretically remove the connectors from the board and make a short wire run to move them to another face of a built box without causing some sound quality issue by moving the input jacks?  Just thinking of ways one could possibly get all the wires connected to the plate amp to not have to plug into the top.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:40 am »
You can use Rt angle RCA plugs if you want like this:

I would want the amp separate though, or at least open to the air for easy adjustment. You may find yourself adjusting the bass daily, I do, depending on source material, time of day (if people are trying to sleep I turn the bass way down) and listening volume :)

nickd

« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:21 pm »
I struggled with plate amp mounting during my build. I did NOT want a stand alone box. I chose (with jparkhur's help) to make the amp box an extension of the rear of the speaker. The box slides in to the back of the bottom woofer box and makes for a neat appearance. it does make the Super v about 8 inches deeper, but they need to be at least 3 feet from the back wall anyway.

Trismos

« Reply #13 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:26 pm »

Very nice. Care to show off the cross-over?

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:28 pm »
Very nice. Care to show off the cross-over?

I posted some crossover pics in another thread.

nickd

« Reply #15 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:33 pm »

Behind the cover during the upgrade.

Trismos

« Reply #16 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:36 pm »
Behind the cover during the upgrade.

Nice wood. That's not veneer (?)

Trismos

« Reply #17 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:38 pm »
I posted some crossover pics in another thread.

So vibration from the speaker is not a concern for these x-over parts? It was one of my concerns about mounting the amp beneath the speaker as well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 26 Nov 2012, 05:52 pm »
So vibration from the speaker is not a concern for these x-over parts? It was one of my concerns about mounting the amp beneath the speaker as well.

I put a foam gasket material under my crossover and screw them down with wood screws. No problems.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #19 on: 26 Nov 2012, 07:05 pm »
Wouldn't the wood screws be a conduit for vibrations and negate the foam effect?