Tube Recitification...a vote?

MarkR7

Re: Tube Recitification...a vote?
« Reply #40 on: 20 Nov 2006, 02:46 pm »
My good friend Normanality brought the tube rectified power supply from his new 9100ES over to try.  I have Norm's old Platinum Signature Truth (with clock) modded 999ES with the SS power supply.  I immediately noticed increased separation and detail with the tubed PS.  Norm had a NOS Mullard tube in it. 

I can't afford a 9100ES but the tubed PS will be a worthy significant upgrade for my 999ES.  Great job Dan!

It was quite remarkable actually.  There were 4 of us at the time enjoying a listening session at Rich's place.
Norah Jones was doing what she does best.  We played a few of her songs, then swapped in the new tube rectified
power supply.  Her voice stepped out away from the speakers even more!  Everyone noticed it immediately.
Resolution was improved also.   

Which NOS Mullard are you using?

Normanality

« Reply #41 on: 20 Nov 2006, 11:09 pm »

Which NOS Mullard are you using?

This seems to be a tried and true Mullard.  Blue box says "Mullard Valve supplied to The Marconi Company, Chelmsford, England"  Made in England.
The box is pretty worn.  I've never seen this type of inner cardboard sleeve protecting the tube either.   Labeled as GZ34 only, not 5AR4.
I also have a NOS Phillips 5AR4 though the old Mullard insignia can be seen on the tube.

Cyberbod

« Reply #42 on: 24 Nov 2006, 10:23 pm »
How much difference does the NOS Mullard make, compared to the stock 5AR4? I ordered the tube rectifier. Been watching ebay for tubes.

cmach

« Reply #43 on: 24 Nov 2006, 11:26 pm »
Hi Cyberbod,

The Mullards make a nice difference over the stock tube. They are quieter and
add a bit of warmth over the stock tube. The most substantial difference is
that the bass is tighter with better pitch and definition. The stock tube sounds
a bit sloppy by comparison.

cmach

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #44 on: 9 Dec 2006, 12:05 am »
Right... just remembered there is a modwright forum...
I'll post there.  :oops:
« Last Edit: 9 Dec 2006, 12:39 am by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #45 on: 9 Dec 2006, 12:40 am »
Okey. Thanx for the info.

Imperial

Imperial

« Reply #46 on: 9 Dec 2006, 12:49 am »
Nice!

Imperial

Eric

« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2006, 08:47 pm »
I just ordered my tube rectified PS for the 3910. I also have obtained a NOS 1957 GZ34 = 5AR4 Phillips miniwatt. I will let you know my impressions

mattybumpkin

« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:26 pm »
Anyone else get the upgrade to their cdp who can comment?

Thnx,

Matty

BikeWNC

« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:39 pm »
I have a Denon 2900 with full mods and just upgraded the PS 9.0 to the tube rectified PS.  The difference is astounding.  Overall the improvements I have noticed are better resolution, texture and separation.  The music is just more organic and engaging.  I wrote Dan to suggest that the tube rectified PS be a permanent addition to his mods.  I feel that anyone ordering a tube modified ModWright player without it is missing out on 50% of the improvement over the stock unit.  It's that good.  That is my impression with the 2900, other cdp might be different.

Andy

Cyberbod

« Reply #50 on: 23 Dec 2006, 05:36 pm »
I have the Denon DVD 5900 super gonzo everything including the platinum kitchen sink mod. I received the new tube rectified PS about two weeks ago, and immediately installed an NOS Mullard tube, so I have not auditioned it with the stock tube. I am using the Revelation Audio Cryo silver umbilical. I agree with Andy. This is a worthwhile investment. The sound is more natural. I was using an older smaller solid state PS, so for me the difference is astounding. With the old PS, I preferred a pair of palladium IC's on my stereo out to take the edge off the top at a cost of slightly less dynamic range and detail. I now use pure silver IC's with excellent results in detail, dynamic range, and overall listenability, with no harshness or listener fatigue after long sessions of play. My mod was done on 5 channels (four tube and the center is solid state). I listened to the new Beatles "Love" DVD Audio a number of times in 5.1 through pure silver IC's with my older solid state PS. With the new PS this recording transformed from a great recording to a live concert in my living room. If you are a tweaker like me, this is a no brainer.  aa

BikeWNC

« Reply #51 on: 23 Dec 2006, 08:02 pm »
I have a Denon 2900 with full mods and just upgraded the PS 9.0 to the tube rectified PS.  The difference is astounding.  Overall the improvements I have noticed are better resolution, texture and separation.  The music is just more organic and engaging.  I wrote Dan to suggest that the tube rectified PS be a permanent addition to his mods.  I feel that anyone ordering a tube modified ModWright player without it is missing out on 50% of the improvement over the stock unit.  It's that good.  That is my impression with the 2900, other cdp might be different.

Andy

The postman tried to deliver it today, but was out for a bike ride.  I guess it was worth it cause I rode in shorts and jersey on DEC 23!  Usually the guy just leaves packages at the door but he was off today and the sub doesn't know me.  It would have been nice to have but I can wait till Tuesday.

In my last post, when I said that the tube rectified ps improved the sound by 50%, well that is really hard to qualify.  What I meant was that it improved my enjoyment level by 50%.  You know, that last 10% is the best half! or so Yogi would say.  I'll let you know when I get the Mullard tube in the PS and how it sounds compared to the stock tube.  I usually like to give it a few days to burn in.

Andy, are you now using the Mullard 5AR4 (Philips Miniwatt label) tube?

BikeWNC

« Reply #52 on: 23 Dec 2006, 10:59 pm »
Actually, it wasn't that tough.  64 degrees, sunny and calm, I was able to ride up the Parkway in shorts and a jersey.  Had to add layers coming down though.