anyone building "the world's best speaker"?

chrisdb

anyone building "the world's best speaker"?
« on: 29 May 2020, 06:52 pm »
I'm intrigued by this build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdkyGDqU7xA
I'd love to hear from  anyone  who has built them or is considering it as I am.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: anyone building "the world's best speaker"?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2020, 12:22 pm »
Have heard such gizmos.  Rather amazing, but certainly not up to decent computer speaker quality.

chrisdb

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2020, 03:43 pm »
surprised  that no one has built one. I'm sure the "best speaker in the world" is tongue in cheek but i am  curious  enough to have  purchased  6  "exciters" 2 foam  panels and a box of acoustic ceiling tiles. I'll post results   soon.

JDoyle

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2020, 04:29 pm »
surprised  that no one has built one. I'm sure the "best speaker in the world" is tongue in cheek but i am  curious  enough to have  purchased  6  "exciters" 2 foam  panels and a box of acoustic ceiling tiles. I'll post results   soon.

Can’t wait, I’d like to build a pair of these to hang when needed in the bed of my truck

JD

srb

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2020, 04:38 pm »
You may want to read NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN! topic in the Open Baffle Speakers circle.  All 3200 posts.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70541.3180

JDoyle

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2020, 05:21 pm »
Will do, thanks!

JD
« Last Edit: 31 May 2020, 12:12 am by JDoyle »

usp1

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2020, 01:49 am »
Been there done that. It is interesting to try but nowhere near the quality of a decent speaker. Way too much coloration.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2020, 06:31 am »
DML/Bendingwave technology is nothing new its been around since the 60's or earlier.

Sound quality of DML panels is based off ones design.  The better the design the better the quality. Tech ingredients design is a beginners intro design into DML tech.

Many combine DML panels with conventional cone subs as DML's lack hard hitting deep bass due to limited excursion from the exciter. Since DML's are similar to O.B. its best to pair them with a O.B. sub like GR Research.

Are big industry participants using them? Yes they are. Goebel's bending wave speaker which is very expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGFFKe-7SYA

Manger Audio uses a bending wave transducer. Manger audio was at last years Audio show I think it was Tyson that mentioned them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jarHDeQh7rw

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2020, 12:38 pm »
You may want to read NXT.......rubbish??....THINK AGAIN! topic in the Open Baffle Speakers circle.  All 3200 posts.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70541.3180

Yes, that was the thread that will not die.  I never did try it, my audio journey was always headed in a different direction, but I was always intrigued.  Maybe someday.

chessycreek

« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2022, 12:04 am »
Built a pair just to try something different. While they are not the "world's best speakers", they are the best $30 speakers I ever had. Add a subwoofer and you have a reasonable system that only requires modest power. Very location sensitive. Was worth the experiment. Still have them as garage speakers. My neighbor came by to see what I had when he heard them.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2022, 06:06 pm »
This guy again. Much of what he says is misleading. Unfortunarly one needs to know more than him to know when he is straying into the ozone.

dave

W.Scheffer

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2022, 04:37 pm »
I built a pair of these MDL Speakers this past month (Aug 2022) just to see if they are as good as the you tube video says they are. 

Almost as soon as they were turned on, I was very disappointed in them.  They produce a very weak sound that is missing most of the spectrum.  No lower end at all!  The highs are weak and undefined.  Mids are just barely OK.  But turn on any other box speakers as a comparison next to them and the MDL speakers get blown away.

Just for the info, I built them to spec according to the video.

What a waste of time. (And money)

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2022, 05:15 pm »
Did you use the same driver? What driver?

dave

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 9 Sep 2022, 01:18 am »
I built a pair of these MDL Speakers this past month (Aug 2022) just to see if they are as good as the you tube video says they are. 

Almost as soon as they were turned on, I was very disappointed in them.  They produce a very weak sound that is missing most of the spectrum.  No lower end at all!  The highs are weak and undefined.  Mids are just barely OK.  But turn on any other box speakers as a comparison next to them and the MDL speakers get blown away.

Just for the info, I built them to spec according to the video.

What a waste of time. (And money)

Tech Ingredients design is a flawed design to begin with.  The better the design the better the panels will sound as its all designed dependant like I mentioned in my above post.

I made recording from my cell phone of one of my lower grade panels playing >  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqMc5wnY4o

W.Scheffer

« Reply #14 on: 9 Sep 2022, 02:05 am »
Yes, I used the same driver (exciter).  Model number: Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4

LostInTennessee

« Reply #15 on: 17 Nov 2022, 03:27 pm »
U don't think it's better them a 1960 transistor radio. But interesting.....