« on: 4 Nov 2011, 11:27 pm »
So here’s my dilemma….and an idea.

My system is comprised of the following:

• Ayre AX-7e Integrated Amp
  • Ayre CX-7e-mp CD Player
  • Ayre P-5xe Phono Stage
  • Teres 245 w/ Verus Motor
  • Martin Logan Dynamo Subs (x2)

I’m still using the stock power cables on all of my components. To make matters worse, I know my power is polluted as all hell.

I’ve considered DIY’ing power cables using Furutech FI-11M(cu) / Furutech FI-11 (cu) IEC connectors and cable TBD. However, that won’t (completely) solve my polluted power problem, so I’ll need something for that. What really gripes me is that I really don’t see my system (significantly) changing with regard to power cable requirements, so I’m buying (6) Furutech FI-11M(cu) @ approximately $42 each that will interface each of the component’s power cables to the filtration device. It seems to me that if those ends were hard-wired into the filtration device, it would not only be less expensive overall, but mo’ better. Then the idea hit me…

The OctoBuss

My vision is this:

• An UberBuss (w/ a cocobolo front face)
  • (1) 1-m cable terminated w/ Furutech FI-11M(cu) for power input
  • (4) 1-m cable terminated w/ Furutech FI-11 (cu) IEC connectors
  • (2) 2-m cable terminated w/ Furutech FI-11 (cu) IEC connectors
  • (1) Furutech FP-15A(Cu)-N1 B1 15A AC receptacle
  • All cables are hard-wired into the UberBuss (thus creating the OctoBuss)

My system is centered between my speakers, and the speakers are spaced 7.5’ apart. The 2-m cables would power my subs, and the 1-m cables would power my integrated amp, CD player, phono stage, and turntable motor controller. The extra capacity provided by the AC receptacle is “just incase” . Why cocobolo? Because my Teres turntable is cocobolo, and my GMA Callisto speakers have cocobolo trim.

Is this crazy idea? Unworkable? Impractical?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: My idea: The OctoBuss...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2011, 11:56 pm »
  No, actually a great idea for a custom order. I'm actually thinking exactly the same thing. One of my customers had the cords to his Ubers hard wired at PIA.

charles
SMA

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:25 am »
I'd be very concerned about hard-wiring an OCTO-bus ... huge risk in terms of lack of flexibility and re-sale value ... no matter how "done" you feel you are ... audio-phools are almost never done ...  no wonder they still lurk around audio-phorums. The risk / reward ratio IMO is heavily towards no no  :nono:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:26 am »
I'd be very concerned about hard-wiring an OCTO-bus ... huge risk in terms of lack of flexibility and re-sale value ... no matter how "done" you feel you are ... audio-phools are almost never done ...  no wonder they still lurk around audio-phorums. The risk / reward ratio IMO is heavily towards no no  :nono:

+1

nrenter

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2011, 12:40 am »

Well, my listening room isn't going to change (as I just moved into this house 6 months ago), therefore the physical placement of my equipment won't change. Maybe I'll someday ditch the subs and go full-range with speakers, and if the unused 2-m cables irritate me, I send it back to Dave for a revision. If I need more power...that's what the extra outlet is for.

I understand the "lack of flexibility" argument, but there's a cost (and perhaps performance) advantage to give up flexibility (in the near term).

morganc

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2011, 01:03 am »
Another option is to get one very nice PC for the power into the Buss and then you can decide later if an upgraded PC makes a difference or not.  That is the route I have chosen and it works great. The difference is that I know things in my system are always changing and evolving, and I am also not sure that the PC from the Buss to each component is that much of a game changer for me. 

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:28 am »
So here’s my dilemma….and an idea.

My system is comprised of the following:

• Ayre AX-7e Integrated Amp
  • Ayre CX-7e-mp CD Player
  • Ayre P-5xe Phono Stage
  • Teres 245 w/ Verus Motor
  • Martin Logan Dynamo Subs (x2)

I’m still using the stock power cables on all of my components. To make matters worse, I know my power is polluted as all hell.

I’ve considered DIY’ing power cables using Furutech FI-11M(cu) / Furutech FI-11 (cu) IEC connectors and cable TBD. However, that won’t (completely) solve my polluted power problem, so I’ll need something for that. What really gripes me is that I really don’t see my system (significantly) changing with regard to power cable requirements, so I’m buying (6) Furutech FI-11M(cu) @ approximately $42 each that will interface each of the component’s power cables to the filtration device. It seems to me that if those ends were hard-wired into the filtration device, it would not only be less expensive overall, but mo’ better. Then the idea hit me…

The OctoBuss

My vision is this:

• An UberBuss (w/ a cocobolo front face)
  • (1) 1-m cable terminated w/ Furutech FI-11M(cu) for power input
  • (4) 1-m cable terminated w/ Furutech FI-11 (cu) IEC connectors
  • (2) 2-m cable terminated w/ Furutech FI-11 (cu) IEC connectors
  • (1) Furutech FP-15A(Cu)-N1 B1 15A AC receptacle
  • All cables are hard-wired into the UberBuss (thus creating the OctoBuss)

My system is centered between my speakers, and the speakers are spaced 7.5’ apart. The 2-m cables would power my subs, and the 1-m cables would power my integrated amp, CD player, phono stage, and turntable motor controller. The extra capacity provided by the AC receptacle is “just incase” . Why cocobolo? Because my Teres turntable is cocobolo, and my GMA Callisto speakers have cocobolo trim.

Is this crazy idea? Unworkable? Impractical?
OK, here are my answers:

"Crazy?" -  Yes, but that has never stopped me from anything I really wanted to do and the BUSS series is a result of a "Crazy" idea.   Do not be deterred, but make sure it is well thought out.

"Unworkable?" - No, merely difficult.

"Impractical?" - Here I have to say yes, but with reservations.  Hardwired is a great way to do things, but you must be absolutely committed to the ptoject with a full positive expectation of the outcome.

Hardwiring totally rocks when you know exactly what you are doing.  In this application I would do it this way, though.  Have an Uber-ish core with a hardwired input and multiple outputs through barrier strips or equivalent inside the case where they would be accessable, but in a safely protected coverded cavity.  That way you could have the benefits of hardwiring (solid, oxidation-free connections) and still have future-proof flexibility to change cabling.  To me it is a no-brainer.  Have the back panel removeable with inlet and outlet holes for cables and rock on.  Easy-peasy.

I would NOT recommend soldered hard wired connections in something this elaborate.

What do YOU think.

Dave

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:15 pm »
  I like the hard wired concept. For someone who has his or her gear in it's final location and knows what power cords they desire, why not. It is a custom order. A risk maybe for the Manf. as a product line, yes.
   For people who use racks I have been thinking about a " Power Tree" a vertical strip atop an UBER with multiple outlets located at each shelve level and component. The gains are shorter cords hard wired or duplex. Hard wired main cord to wall. Different gauges for different components. All purdy and neat. Wire management helps as well.
   For us our gear as positioned will never change as it is where it needs to go in our room. The only changes will be gear.
   What a day for a daydream. What a day for a day dreaming boy.

charles
SMA

nrenter

« Reply #8 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:27 pm »
Dave,

I like it. The barrier strips are a great idea. Plus, if a power outlet is included, you have immediate flexibility.

I have a few "austerity" goals to hit in the next few months, and once I hit those, I'll celebrate with a new toy.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:43 pm »
  I like the hard wired concept. For someone who has his or her gear in it's final location and knows what power cords they desire, why not. It is a custom order. A risk maybe for the Manf. as a product line, yes.
   For people who use racks I have been thinking about a " Power Tree" a vertical strip atop an UBER with multiple outlets located at each shelve level and component. The gains are shorter cords hard wired or duplex. Hard wired main cord to wall. Different gauges for different components. All purdy and neat. Wire management helps as well.
   For us our gear as positioned will never change as it is where it needs to go in our room. The only changes will be gear.
   What a day for a daydream. What a day for a day dreaming boy.

charles
SMA
Charles, that is the beauty of a generally custom oriented business like mine: any reasonable, SAFE idea is entertained and usually attainable.

About 85% of my business is custom work.  I love the custom work - not the SOS every day and a challenge to work out the details.  Then again, that is what accounts for my crazy long days (or is it "daze"?)   :thumb:

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: 5 Nov 2011, 04:44 pm »
Dave,

I like it. The barrier strips are a great idea. Plus, if a power outlet is included, you have immediate flexibility.

I have a few "austerity" goals to hit in the next few months, and once I hit those, I'll celebrate with a new toy.
I can make the bussbars for your dream from high purity copper, too. 

Lord, I LOVE my job!!! 8)

Dave

nrenter

« Reply #11 on: 5 Nov 2011, 05:12 pm »
What options would you suggest for the cabling itself? Also, different cable for different applications?

lag0a

« Reply #12 on: 6 Nov 2011, 12:31 am »
What is the top of the line metal to use for connectors and cable? I don't think many people use pure gold or know how that sounds compare to pure silver and pure copper. It seems to be down to pure silver costing more than pure copper. Do cable manufacturers then use a small coating in microns of gold or silver to prevent oxidation?

Do these metals sound different whether it be used in the digital side as in source and digital side of the dac or analog side of the dac, headphone ampifier, and headphones? Whether it be used in the AC side or DC side?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: 6 Nov 2011, 04:24 am »
What is the top of the line metal to use for connectors and cable? I don't think many people use pure gold or know how that sounds compare to pure silver and pure copper. It seems to be down to pure silver costing more than pure copper. Do cable manufacturers then use a small coating in microns of gold or silver to prevent oxidation?

Do these metals sound different whether it be used in the digital side as in source and digital side of the dac or analog side of the dac, headphone ampifier, and headphones? Whether it be used in the AC side or DC side?
Hard questions to answer in some ways.

Gold cables are very round sounding with great detail and extremely smooth frequency response IME (which is VERY limited... $$$$$$  Check these out:  http://www.koolcables.com/silkworm+/index.html

Silver CAN be a bit bright in some systems depending on the purity of the silver, finish and most of all the materials processing the silver has undergone.  Silver has tremendous detail with a wide bandwidth.  It can be the best choice for many systems in properly matched to the gear.  Gsuge is extremely critical in the "harshness" context.

Copper (OFHC or 6-nines) copper is the goto for 90% of the systems in use.  Sounds very smooth and balanced when properly terminated and sized for the gear.

Sizing:  bigger is seldom better for line level applications.  There is an optimum gauge for each application.

Finish: proper surface finish is essential to any wire used as an interconnect.

Dielectrics:  Every dielectric has its' own sonic character and signature.

Termination is the most important aspect of cable construction after conductor geometry.

Plated wires are a bad idea under most circumstances for optimum sound.  Silver plated copper is something that I NEVER use.  It sounds "broken" when it comes to bandwidth clarity and image integrity never quite snapping into focus.

There is a alot more and what has been written on cable construction would fill books.  I've hit most of the high spots, but not all.

The answer to your last paragraph is easy:  Yes.

As always in audio - YMMV.

Dave