Dimmer / LED

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Dimmer / LED
« on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:10 pm »
Hi,
      I have a small room that has plenty of outlets and has a wall dimmer for an overhead light. I was advised long ago here to get rid of the dimmer, for the best possible or cleanest sound. Using an Emotiva DC blocker bar I didn't notice any difference with the dimmer in. The dimmer sees way more use than my sound system as it's a good mood setter.
       Then to save some electricity on my monthly bill I got LED replacement bulbs and my bulb in the dimmer circuit goes on and off like I'm living at the Munsters house. Another dimmer in a different room is doing the same thing. I bought the bulbs as advertised as being dimmable. Does anyone know why this happens? Regular bulbs (non-LED) work fine.
    Thanks for any clues or answers....Mark.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Dimmer / LED
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:45 pm »
LED bulbs and LED dimmers are rapidly developing (and cost cutting) technology's. So what's good or bad with one batch may not be true of the next batch, even with the same part number.
Most likely your problem is with the dimmers. Are they listed for LED bulbs?  Is there a way to add a small incandescent bulb to the dimmer?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:48 pm »
Mark, the dimming switches need to be LED compatible as well. I've used almost exclusively Lutron brand that specify LED compatibility and they're made in various configurations and colors.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2019, 04:53 pm »
I too have heard good things about new Lutron brand dimmers.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2019, 05:35 pm »
  Lutron is the way to go.

charles

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2019, 08:27 pm »
Hi. thanks a lot you guys. I'll get a couple of those Lutron dimmers tonight...Mark.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2019, 08:44 pm »
I have been down this road.  The lutron dimmer like most dimmers work by rapid cycling on and off.  The RF noise is substantial and can be picked up in tubes, cables, and the dimmer may pollute your AC, even on a independent line. 

If you have no sonic changes, that I do commend your system implementation and design. 

LED do pollute the AC circuit.  I would stick with halogen or incandescent.  IF you use LED, buy LED specific dimmer switches.  Careful with Lutron.  They may introduce noise. 

-j

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2019, 09:20 pm »
LED do pollute the AC circuit. 

My experience affirms this.

The remote control range for my garage door opener was reduced by 95% when I switched from incandescent to LED courtesy bulb on the garage door opener. I assumed the LED was emitting RF to jam the remote signal, but more likely it was polluting the opener's power supply, affecting the radio receiver's performance.