New tweeters and crossover network

reefrus

« on: 22 Jul 2005, 01:20 am »
Hi all:  

The long awaited new tweeters and crossover network has arrived and I've installed them in my Revelations.  I've had three days of briefly listening and breaking in so far.  (I say briefly because my wife's office is only 20 feet away and she's on the phone all day and I can't REALLY listen) Right from the very first note I knew they were something special.  

The installation was very straightforward and only took me about 90 minutes to install both after I removed the back plate.  (It was very tight)  Bob did a great job of making the retrofit kit easy to work with.

Now for the sound:  Ever since I discovered the TP 2.0, I knew the potential of this design (transmission line).  It's a very lifelike, dynamic sound. However, something always bugged me about the high frequency.  It was a bit edgy.  I was fatigued after long listening sessions.  I noticed this with my original Revelations as well.    After installing the new tweeters, the first impression I noticed was the softer and sweeter sound.  Now it's even more comparable to my beloved Sound Lab A1s (Newest version), one of the most transparant, coherant sounds from a single driver.  

The performance of the bass now really blows me away.  Before the upgrade, the crossover was 950hz and now it's 600hz, 590 to be exact for Bob.  :)   Not only is the dynamic range increased, but the distortion is even lower.  I had to tweak the speaker position again becuase the bass is now so powerful.  

Although I'm still in the initial break in stages, I'm already so impressed and excited.  I will be on vacation next week so I'll have to delay the total break-in.  Stay tuned for more as the process continues.

According to Bob, this is a completely new level of performance.  I have to agree.  When I was at the Stereophile Show in Midtown Manhattan in May 2004, I visited six of the most high end audio salon's rooms. Speakers included JM Lab, Grand Utopia, and Wilson Alexandria.  I was disappointed with the performance to price ratio.  This new Revelation certainly runs with these big dogs.  Because of SP Tech being a relative newcomer to the audio scene, the general public just doesn't have a chance to know how amazing these speakers really are.  I know they will be at  The Show in January 06 and the RMAF in October 05 and hopefully this will allow others to become more familiar.  Mike from Tweek Geeks will be at the RMAF showing his Continuums 2.5 and that frees me up to browse the other rooms.  If any members would like to hear the Revelation with the new tweeters, I'd be happy to have you here to listen and enjoy. Just let me know.

That's it for now..

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2005, 04:18 am »
reefus :
    The installation was very straightforward and only took me about 90 minutes to install both after I removed the back plate. (It was very tight) Bob did a great job of making the retrofit kit easy to work with.
    [/list:u]
      Steve...could you go into a little more detail about how to apply this upgrade ? I've got a rubber hammer and a screwdriver, and my pair of TP2's...any hope ? :? Thanks !![/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

ekovalsky

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2005, 04:25 am »
    Sounds like a great upgrade.  Kudos to SPTech for providing it with a complete installation kit.  I know one AC member who paid for a tweeter upgrade to his former speakers but gave up after waiting 6+ months for the appropriate face plate to mount them.  He got a refund but was understandably quite frustrated by the experience.  He subsequently sold them and purchased SP Tech.

reefrus

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2005, 02:40 pm »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Steve...could you go into a little more detail about how to apply this upgrade ? I've got a rubber hammer and a screwdriver, and my pair of TP2's...any hope ?  Thanks !!

That's all you need!!  The only thing you'll be waiting on is for Bob to develop the kit.  The new tweeter has a longer throat for the waveguide plus Bob hand builds and tunes every crossover. Once it's in your hands, it's very easy to retrofit.