Belles 350A Ref. Another good amp for SP owners!

reefrus

« on: 16 Apr 2005, 07:34 pm »
Hi all,
For you SP owners out there, here is another amp to seek out for.
Belles 350A Ref. and 350A Ref Monos.http://www.powermodules.com/newdev.html

I Just received my 350A Ref Monos last Mon. and they are being on ever since. The sonic is improved every day. They control the Revelations bass drivers even better than the 150A Ref Monos and the high is delicate and smoother as well. Almost make me wonder if the new tweeters are needed :o  . But is still in early stage, I'll let them broken in more and see. But by far these amps are the best in term of perfromance from the Revelations.

I've been seeking out the ultimate amps ever since I've got the Revelations. Unfortunately, these speakers need big monster amps to make them really sing(of course, a good 100w will do the job but not for me  :cry: .....). Besides the Belles 150A Ref Monos, I also have a pair of Parasound sound JC-1s and McCormack DNA-500(On loan). As you know, these are big powerful SS amps and I can easily live with any one of these amps. But In my system, 350A Ref Monos perform the best.

As you know, most of the high power amps are not as delicate,agile and refined when it compare with the well design low power amps. But the amps above indeed well worth seeking out. They are also coming out from the famous designer; Dave Belles, John Curl and Steve McCormack. These guys been around designing amps for the last 20-30yrs.
BTW, do you know the amps that use in Overkill audiohttp://www.overkillaudio.com/ is OEM Belles amps.

It is a finacial burden to try all these amps especially in today's hi end market :cry: .
But they are still more; High power tube amps:
Atma-Spere MA-2 II.3 and MA-3, Convergent Audio Tech JL-1 and JL-3, VTL 750, 1250 and Siegfried. VAC phi220. ARC Ref300, 600 and 601T. Joule Rite of passage and................................

Of course, if only I've hit the lotto. :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2005, 08:02 am »
Hi Steve,
    Been about a month now since your post above...how goes it with the new Belles 350A Ref. amp ? And your other comparisons ? Thanks !! :) [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

ekovalsky

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2005, 08:11 am »
The 350A Ref is one of the amps I'm considering to drive my bass towers, which have a rather cruel 1-2 ohm impedance (four 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel).

Also considering some of the tube amps you mentioned to drive my main towers... if an extra air conditioning unit can be added to my room expansion plans without too much difficulty  :lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2005, 08:24 am »
Quote from: ekovalsky

Also considering some of the tube amps you mentioned to drive my main towers... if an extra air conditioning unit can be added to my room expansion plans without too much difficulty  :lol:
Eric,
    Those big tube amps had me thinking about
this...... :lol: [/list:u]
    But from that list, I've heard good reports on the VAC Phi 220...not sure of the "heat".[/list:u]

reefrus

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2005, 01:59 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Been about a month now since your post above...how goes it with the new Belles 350A Ref. amp ? And your other comparisons ? Thanks !!  

Hi Chris,

After one month of intense playing and comparing they are indeed an awesome pair of amps with the bass control authority, liquid mid and smoother high (with the old tweeters, still waiting for the new tweeters and xover network). And in my system, they perform the best. But the rest of the amps are no slouch either and I can recommend them wholeheartly.
Except one thing, they run hotter than the rest of other amps and they are class B and not class A design. Dave designed these amps in a very short period of time and they use the standard 305A  style chassis. But with the beefed up power supply and newer output devices, maybe this chassis and heatsink are not sufficient.  I'm going to share this feedback with Dave.

reefrus

« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2005, 02:09 pm »
The 350A Ref is one of the amps I'm considering to drive my bass towers, which have a rather cruel 1-2 ohm impedance (four 8 ohm drivers wired in parallel).

Also considering some of the tube amps you mentioned to drive my main towers... if an extra air conditioning unit can be added to my room expansion plans without too much difficulty

Hi Eric,
You might want to discuss with Dave. I'm not sure if these can drive a 1-2 ohm impedance.  By the way, I really like your set up.  Maybe next time I'm in Phoenix, I'd love to call and come see.  My wife is originally from Phoenix so we are in and out of there often.

Regarding the tube amps, I did own a pair of Atma-sphere MA-2 II driving a pair of VMPS RM40/TRT/FS and they produced the best mid-range.  Because of moving to the south for a short sabattical, I sold them becuase the heat was just incredible. Might be a consideration being in Phoenix.  I would love to try some of the high tube amps again when my budget allows.

PeteG

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2005, 02:10 pm »
I heard Steve’s Belles 350A Ref mono’s and let me say they have reference level bass control and power, also a very musical amp.

Pete

ekovalsky

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2005, 02:39 pm »
Quote from: reefrus
Hi Eric,
You might want to discuss with Dave. I'm not sure if these can drive a 1-2 ohm impedance.  By the way, I really like your set up.  Maybe next time I'm in Phoenix, I'd love to call and come see.  My wife is originally from Phoenix so we are in and out of there often.

Regarding the tube amps, I did own a pair of Atma-sphere MA-2 II driving a pair of VMPS RM40/TRT/FS and they produced the best mid-range.  Because of moving to the south for a short sabattical, I sold them becuase the heat was jus ...

Sure.  Let me know when your going to be in town!

reefrus

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2005, 04:59 pm »
Correction

Just talked to Dave Belles. The new Belles 350A Ref Monos are Class AB and not Class B design. Thanks Dave for clarification :oops:

And also my pair running a bit hotter because of higher bias setting. Both chassis and heatsink are sufficient enough.

reefrus

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2005, 07:35 pm »

Eric,
Forgot to mention! Dave said 350A Ref would be No Problem driving the low impedance within 1-2 ohm. Both single stereo version or the balanced monoblocks.