Super-V flat packs are now in stock

Danny Richie

Re: Super-V flat packs are now in stock
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:17 am »
I'll make you a package deal on a flat pack and kit.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:24 am »
Go for it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Lots of factors to consider.

I still have my old Thiel CS3's that I don't want to get rid of (not to mention that every time the topic even gets vaguely mentioned, my wife quickly and firmly says "NO!"). I don't think there is any way in heck that I'm getting rid my LS-6'es.

We are on the verge of committing to an add-on to the house which would be planned from the ground up as a combined HT/2 channel room. The Super V Kit + the flat pack + the shipping is a good chunk of change (for us) that would otherwise go into the add-on.

I don't know if my issues with the LS-6'es would disappear if I moved into a larger room that did not have the shortcomings the existing non-dedicated room has.

:scratch: :scratch:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2012, 02:24 am »
I'll make you a package deal on a flat pack and kit.
ruh roh............

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:03 am »
I have one flat pack that is missing the curved and assembled crossover boxes that set behind and below the coaxial driver. With that flat pack the crossover would sit in the open where it can be seen.
I'll take $1,000 for that flat pack ($350 off).

Or, I'll sell that flat pack with a kit for $3,250 ($595 off) if purchased all together.

And I'll throw in pre-cut, pre-drilled, and pre-painted crossover boards. It makes for nice clean network assembling.

jcotner

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:20 am »
That's one thing about you Danny that is great.
In spite of having great prices you're not above
tossing out an even better deal now and then.

If anything ever happened to you I bet the wife
would dread having to deal with what's left.
At least that's what mine told me, no unautorized
departures until some of the stuff is gone!
  :green:

OK is that better?

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:23 am »
If anything ever happened to you I bet the wife
would dread having to deal with what's left.

:shh: Shhh, don't say that. My wife might see it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2012, 03:36 am »
I have one flat pack that is missing the curved and assembled crossover boxes that set behind and below the coaxial driver. With that flat pack the crossover would sit in the open where it can be seen.
I'll take $1,000 for that flat pack ($350 off).

Or, I'll sell that flat pack with a kit for $3,250 ($595 off) if purchased all together.

And I'll throw in pre-cut, pre-drilled, and pre-painted crossover boards. It makes for nice clean network assembling.
WOW!

How much more for Jupiter caps and No-Rez? Any idea of ball park for shipping to socal?

(how would I even begin to 'splain this one  :roll:)

Danny Richie

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2012, 01:53 pm »
WOW!

How much more for Jupiter caps and No-Rez? Any idea of ball park for shipping to socal?

Jupiter cap upgrade is $150. Three sheets of No Rez is $119.85

That is a lot of weight to ship but I have a 70% discount with YRC. So I am guessing around $450 to $500 for shipping. I'd have to make a few phone calls to find out for sure.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:36 pm »
WOW!

You must have stopped at Michaels on the way home.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:06 pm »
This is your chance gentlemen to step up to the plate and purchase these manly speakers.

While in divorce court, don't mention my name OK?  :nono:

Next on your short list - Joule Electra's!  :guitar:

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 3 Jul 2012, 02:58 pm »
I'd really like to see these last two flat packs go to a good home. If any of you guys are on the fence for a Super-V kit with a flat pack then give me a call and I might make a really sweet deal on the package.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #31 on: 3 Jul 2012, 08:23 pm »
OK, a couple of silly (rather than "stupid") questions.

1) If I get a kit and a flat pack, how tough is the actual assembly? I can solder OK, but my woodworking skills are minimal. (i.e., one step above non-existant)
2) How tough is it to get a decent finish on the flat pack? I'm guessing you can't just stain the MDF and get a nice finish - you either need to put a veneer on (yeah, right), or have access to good paint. What does it look like if you just leave it as a MDF fininsh?
3) REALISTICALLY, how much room behind the speakers? I didn't measure how far at RMAF, but from pictures, it looks like about three feet. Is that enough? Is more better?
4) If I get the flat pack w/o x-over covers, what can I do to provide some protection to them? My cats will be sorely tempted by all those interesting looking things.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:21 pm »
OK, a couple of silly (rather than "stupid") questions.

1) If I get a kit and a flat pack, how tough is the actual assembly? I can solder OK, but my woodworking skills are minimal. (i.e., one step above non-existant)

Assembly is not too hard. See some assembly pics here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=98348.0

This thread has some good build pics too: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=102812.0

2) How tough is it to get a decent finish on the flat pack? I'm guessing you can't just stain the MDF and get a nice finish - you either need to put a veneer on (yeah, right), or have access to good paint. What does it look like if you just leave it as a MDF fininsh?

Painting them works great. All of those that I have taken to the shows that were Silver (like the ones on my web site) and bright Yellow were both painted MDF. The same goes for Michael's Copper pair. They were painted MDF.

Ruben has a pair of the flat packs on hand and can easily paint them anyway that you want and send them to you assembled.

3) REALISTICALLY, how much room behind the speakers? I didn't measure how far at RMAF, but from pictures, it looks like about three feet. Is that enough? Is more better?

With any open baffle speaker you need a good three feet of space behind them. More is of coarse better.

4) If I get the flat pack w/o x-over covers, what can I do to provide some protection to them? My cats will be sorely tempted by all those interesting looking things.

It will be hard for your cats to see them. You can mount the crossovers right behind the Co-axial driver much like the ones in this pic:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jul 2012, 10:42 pm »
Looks like almost all the builds end up sending panels to auto body shops (or they are people who are very familiar with high quality air spraying techniques). Can you do the rest (subwoofer boxes?) with something like a Wagner power sprayer? Or maybe even (gasp) a brush/roller? (with sanding and multiple layers)

Regarding the ones you took to RMAF last year with the textured finish - how was that applied? Is it a commercial kit or did somebody do it for you?

Trying to figure out if there is a way to get a nice finish that is DIY and not too difficult.

(kind of scary looking at how Michaels flat pack arrived.  :o)

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jul 2012, 11:12 pm »
Looks like almost all the builds end up sending panels to auto body shops (or they are people who are very familiar with high quality air spraying techniques). Can you do the rest (subwoofer boxes?) with something like a Wagner power sprayer? Or maybe even (gasp) a brush/roller? (with sanding and multiple layers)

Yes, just the sides and bow-tie get the fancy paint. I spayed the Black body myself with a textured paint. It was easy.

Regarding the ones you took to RMAF last year with the textured finish - how was that applied? Is it a commercial kit or did somebody do it for you?

I local guy applied it for me. He owns Lone Star Crete Works. $700 is what that finish cost. It is a concrete type coating that is then dyed various colors.

Trying to figure out if there is a way to get a nice finish that is DIY and not too difficult.

Just have Ruben spray the pair that he has for you. You pick the color.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #35 on: 3 Jul 2012, 11:32 pm »
Thanks for all the responses Danny.  :thumb:

Trying to figure out how I would do this as inexpensively as possible and still be happy with the results.  :scratch:

Racer X

« Reply #36 on: 4 Jul 2012, 12:20 am »
Michael sprayed the black with a spraycan it's a flat black that has a little texture to it and looks nice against the high gloss copper. I believe he paid 400.00 for the copper to be painted its in his build thread.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #37 on: 4 Jul 2012, 03:43 am »
Trust me, I want to get the Super V's.

It's just tough at this point. I've got the LS-6'es, which even though I purchased during the initial buy-in through AV-123, was still a substantial commitment for me. I enjoy them most of the time and am trying to work through issues which have to do with the fact that I have them in a room which is just a couple of feet too small for them (even though one end of the room is not sealed), along with equipment which does not fully do them justice (primarily amps and cables).

I spent an awful lot of time listening to the Super-V's at RMAF, and remember how much I enjoyed listening to music rather than EQUIPMENT.

How much was just due to the Super-V's as opposed to the whole system, I have no way of knowing. :scratch:

Very difficult to pull the trigger.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #38 on: 5 Jul 2012, 04:12 pm »
Divorce Court ?  Been there once already. 

I think you have most of the equipment that you need to make the change to the Super V's.  You would get about 95% of what you paid for the those giant amps you have in the used market.  You may have to not include the words "Come from a non smoking home"  when you sell them as you do alot of slow cooked stuff in your Green Egg.  You have a great preamp so all you'll need is a modestly powered tube amp.

Your listening to equipment blues would be over.  No divorce court for you.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jul 2012, 04:41 pm »
Divorce Court ?  Been there once already. 

I think you have most of the equipment that you need to make the change to the Super V's.  You would get about 95% of what you paid for the those giant amps you have in the used market.  You may have to not include the words "Come from a non smoking home"  when you sell them as you do alot of slow cooked stuff in your Green Egg.  You have a great preamp so all you'll need is a modestly powered tube amp.

Your listening to equipment blues would be over.  No divorce court for you.
Actually, currently sitting in a jury selection room in Riverside killing time. Great fun! :evil:
Yeah, I can probably sell things, but everything is big/heavy, and I'm getting stubborn about some things. I hate selling my equipment. It used to just get "passed on" to a family member, but this stuff doesn't appeal to them. Don't like dealing with selling used - I've had to deal with too many civil disputes in my career. Too jaded. :(