Axiom M80 V3 with My Bryston System - 'I cannot believe that this happened'

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Hey there DD:

Curious is fine...and I'm not profaning to be an expert on this - this is just personal opinion but to answer your question, yes, I get out to hear live music whenever I can - not a whole lot but three or four times / yr at least which is enough over time to build an impression.

I've been to full out large venue concerts - 17th row centres at Pink Floyd and 5th row floors at Pheonix - listening at up to 110 - 120dB plus smaller amplified arrangements and then a number of unplugged, up close and personal.  Then there is camp fires with family, friends and lets not forget my harmonica and bongo drums at home. 

In my not above, I say, that we can't get a recording / playback system to sound like a true "unplugged" live event - we are agreed there; however, there are aspects of the recording/playback that we can appreciate - such as close miked recording or even sythesized recordings like Radio Head OK Computer and the like.  I'm not saying these would fool you into thinking it's real but it is a quasi though spot-lit facsimilie of the real thing.  And definitely can be appreciated from an audiophile perspective. 

It's with amplified mid to large venue live music that the quality, I believe, on a quality system with sufficient power, can be very closely reproduced, if not beat.  I'm not talking about the emotional connection with the music due to the live performance - you can't beat a pumping audience, the visuals of the performers, the smell, the heat the flashing camera, lights etc. Such live events are a total emotional experience and therefore, not a fair comparision and not a truly objective comparison.  But the sound, well, if the band is using Marshall amps and Marshall speakers - go out and buy the identical system that they have, put it in your controlled environment, and then use the latest in recording techniques - mastering quality recording - and you're going to get extremely close to the base performance (sans venue and emotion).  The difference is the quality of the recording vs. the speed of the actual live mics / pick-ups - and that would be it.

Thanks for your thoughts, G.  Welcome back!

D.D.

SoundGame

Thanks for your thoughts, G.  Welcome back!

D.D.

Thanks D.D.  I've been around, just no time to post.  Will try to keep a little more connected.  Cheers!

RW Oliver

Hi DaveNote-- My name is Bob Oliver (RW Oliver) was reading your post --Have we met before --Did you purchase your music man system from me?

SoundGame

Hi DaveNote-- My name is Bob Oliver (RW Oliver) was reading your post --Have we met before --Did you purchase your music man system from me?

This could be interesting - Dave, you know this guy?

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche

Hi Bob: Absolutely incredible to hear from you after all these years. And to hear this way!  I bought your music man speakers at a kind of garage sale/auction at Oakwood Audio many years ago. I got them for under $100 and used them for several years. I loved those speakers, and once spoke to you about them. You told me that you found some very strong woofers, I believe in Europe. I remember the wonderful high end from the horn drivers. But my real desire was your top end speakers, which I think were the LS3s.

Are you still building speakers?

Dave

RW Oliver

Hello Dave --- The world is certainly a small place -- My health went bad some time ago ,so I quit building, but am feeling much better now. I am working on a field coil tweeter,mid and woofer so am turning lots of metal on the lathe-- also I am picking up a Sansui 250 in the next few days so I have to build something that will hum along with about 6-10 watts  (will be fun)
http://www.facebook.com/bob.oliver.395-- This is my facebook page drill down through all the old posts,I have been posting a lot of pictures in the last month or so lots of stuff on there to talk about.

I must have missed something because I could not see how to reply to your message --- also I was going to put up an avatar but I guess I have to get permission first?

If any of your friends on here wish to poke through my page feel free--some of the comments are inside remarks with people I have worked with over the years

If you have any questions ask away --- Am I violating any posting rules by doing this post?

Talk to you later Dave

Bob

DaveNote

Hello Dave --- The world is certainly a small place -- My health went bad some time ago ,so I quit building, but am feeling much better now. I am working on a field coil tweeter,mid and woofer so am turning lots of metal on the lathe-- also I am picking up a Sansui 250 in the next few days so I have to build something that will hum along with about 6-10 watts  (will be fun)
http://www.facebook.com/bob.oliver.395-- This is my facebook page drill down through all the old posts,I have been posting a lot of pictures in the last month or so lots of stuff on there to talk about.

I must have missed something because I could not see how to reply to your message --- also I was going to put up an avatar but I guess I have to get permission first?

If any of your friends on here wish to poke through my page feel free--some of the comments are inside remarks with people I have worked with over the years

If you have any questions ask away --- Am I violating any posting rules by doing this post?

Talk to you later Dave

Bob

Hi Bob: I think others might have an interest in the work you're doing on drivers, so the Facebook link might be useful to them. I am not a Facebook member, and apparently am one of the handful of people on the planet who has no interest in joining.

I guess my refusal to join facebook is what ruined Zuckerberg's IPO :lol:

I have no idea for sure if your post is with in the guidelines of this forum. But I think a general appeal is to try not to get too far off topic, so I'll send you a private message to catch up.

Dave

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Hey Dave, have you heard this model?

http://www.axiomaudio.com/lfr1100.html

DaveNote

Hey Dave, have you heard this model?

http://www.axiomaudio.com/lfr1100.html

Vegasdave, no I haven't heard these speakers; they are omnidirectional.

Dave
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2012, 11:31 pm by DaveNote »

PRELUDE

Vegasdave, no I haven't heard these speakers are omnidirectional.

Dave
yes,they are omnidirectional.This is the picture of them with DSP in center and 2 4BSST2. One on each side.

PRELUDE

Hi Bob: I think others might have an interest in the work you're doing on drivers, so the Facebook link might be useful to them. I am not a Facebook member, and apparently am one of the handful of people on the planet who has no interest in joining.

I guess my refusal to join facebook is what ruined Zuckerberg's IPO :lol:

I have no idea for sure if your post is with in the guidelines of this forum. But I think a general appeal is to try not to get too far off topic, so I'll send you a private message to catch up.

Dave
I would love to see his work on drivers but unfortunately I am belong the group of people that are not facebook member and refused to be.

vegasdave

yes,they are omnidirectional.This is the picture of them with DSP in center and 2 4BSST2. One on each side.

Cool, nice photo. I bet it sounded great! Did you hear them Prelude?

PRELUDE

Cool, nice photo. I bet it sounded great! Did you hear them Prelude?
Yes I did hear them and I had a plan to go back and give a good listen to them but never happened. :duh:

vegasdave

So how did they sound to you?

PRELUDE

So how did they sound to you?
Sound was like a regular tower speakers to my ears but it just me and other folks might think different.The first problem is I do not like ports and I do not like to force the lows. when I speak about bass,I just think 10" drivers and up with nice punch and kick drums and the second problem was,when I walked in the room I thought they were active speakers so I got exited but when I found out they not just like somebody hit me with hammer but still I would like to give a long listening to them but never happened.

DaveNote

Sound was like a regular tower speakers to my ears but it just me and other folks might think different.The first problem is I do not like ports and I do not like to force the lows. when I speak about bass,I just think 10" drivers and up with nice punch and kick drums and the second problem was,when I walked in the room I thought they were active speakers so I got exited but when I found out they not just like somebody hit me with hammer but still I would like to give a long listening to them but never happened.

Sorry, Prelude, you couldn't follow up in listening to them. I would have been very intersted in your opinion. It took me some long and careful listening to discover the comparative merits of the M80s...ports and all. Interesting I find they have more punch than the MB2is with both playing at the same volumes. Frankly, it's still hard for me to believe. In fact, given my investment in the MB2is I really didn't want to believe that the M80s sounded better to my ear on just about every count.

Dave

PRELUDE

Sorry, Prelude, you couldn't follow up in listening to them. I would have been very intersted in your opinion. It took me some long and careful listening to discover the comparative merits of the M80s...ports and all. Interesting I find they have more punch than the MB2is with both playing at the same volumes. Frankly, it's still hard for me to believe. In fact, given my investment in the MB2is I really didn't want to believe that the M80s sounded better to my ear on just about every count.

Dave
I know Dave unfortunately did not happen.This is something new that they are doing and it is hard to judge before listen to them.

vegasdave

Ok, thanks for your assessment. Much appreciated.

DaveNote

Just a quick update on my M80/MB2i journey.

After discovering, with great sadness and reluctance, that to my ears - emphasis my ears - in my room playing my music, that the Axiom M80s sounded far more accurate and uncoloured, I disconnected the MB2is. Then I couldn't stand having them in my sound room as a reminder of an expensive purchase having been superseded, something that has happened before, but not to this degree.

So I paid a mover (don't have the skill or strength to do the job) to move them upstairs so I at least could get some remaining value out of them...as external speakers for out TV.

My wife wants to put flower pots on them. A very sad ending for a great speaker.

But now that the M80s are now positioned some 6 feet apart and slightly toed in, they sound even better.

Next, attaching the Axiom DSP designed for the M80s in the next few weeks.

Dave

SoundGame

Just a quick update on my M80/MB2i journey.

After discovering, with great sadness and reluctance, that to my ears - emphasis my ears - in my room playing my music, that the Axiom M80s sounded far more accurate and uncoloured, I disconnected the MB2is. Then I couldn't stand having them in my sound room as a reminder of an expensive purchase having been superseded, something that has happened before, but not to this degree.

So I paid a mover (don't have the skill or strength to do the job) to move them upstairs so I at least could get some remaining value out of them...as external speakers for out TV.

My wife wants to put flower pots on them. A very sad ending for a great speaker.

But now that the M80s are now positioned some 6 feet apart and slightly toed in, they sound even better.

Next, attaching the Axiom DSP designed for the M80s in the next few weeks.

Dave

Dave,

It's grat that you've found a speaker to surplant the PMC's at such a modest price but your comments on how you are sunsetting the PMC's is surprising. 

Why not just sell them for a fair market value and cut your losses.  Many, as I, could only dream of having them.
Cheers