Which preamp do you think would work for me?

-Richard-

Which preamp do you think would work for me?
« on: 28 May 2007, 05:16 pm »
Hi All ~ As usual I have just awakened to find myself on the planet earth... it seems that on
this particular planet there is a marvelous audio designer named Lloyd Peppard.

I have just purchased a new Korneff 45 SE amplifier... I am awaiting a pair of 45 tubes to
hear how it sounds... Jeff was convinced 4 or 5 years ago that he was never going to build
another amp so he sold his NOS 45's to Asian tube hounds... now of course Jeff regrets it.

Several audio friends from AC have recommended I use one of Lloyd's preamps to drive
Jeff's amp. I spoke to Lloyd the other day... lovely chap.

There is the Magic 5B SE Triplex Line Preamplifier and the Line 2A SE Line Preamplifier
that I am considering.

Also I am interested to try the preamp with Vinnie Rossi's Signature 70 amplifier...
which I own and love... to see what a triode circuit tube preamp will or won't do for
its all over-performance.

I would deeply appreciate it if any owners of Lloyd's preamps could share with me
(or anyone reading these threads) which preamp might work best for the applications
I have in mind: 1. adding gain to Jeff's 45, 2. adding triode magic to Vinnie's Sig 70.

Thanks for your kind considerations.

Warmest Regards ~ Richard
« Last Edit: 28 May 2007, 05:27 pm by -Richard- »

topround

Re: Which preamp do you think would work for me?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2007, 09:54 am »
Richard,
I own the Ultra 4 se with phono, and I love it. Many things have come and gone in my system but the Mapletree stays. I have had a Modwright, Candela, and Roque preamp as well as a dynaco pre in my system, the Mapletree bested them all in my system. I currently run a VTL tube amp,( soon to change maybe). You should hear it with Vinnies RWA sig 30!!
The Mapletree sounded great right out of the box, very, very, musical. it adds a touch of musical warmth to music, and always seems to bring out the best in most amps it is paired with. I have had it paired with the Channel Islands d 200 digital mono blocs and it was great, so great I may go that route myself.

The Mapletree likes good tubes, and tube rolling will result in very different results. The stock tubes are good but my Sylvania 6sn7 gta's really wake the pre up with great drive and tremendous amounts of air. It will sound like two different pre's, or it could, depending on tube choice. I have some Tung sols coming to see what they do.

Dr Lloyd is great. He is very accomodating, unlike a lot of larger audio manufacturers.
Also he has an upgrade he doesn't speak about ,  he can put in Audio Note tantalum resistors instead of stock, I never heard this combo, but he likes it. My pre is stock

The stock Auricaps are also very good in this pre, others have experimented with boutique caps to no great result. Also the pre is dead quiet. The phono section is good, not the greatest but good for the money, different tubes might make that better but I have yet to experiment with that.

Everyone who has heard my pre ( many people) have asked to borrow it, and I usually oblige, if you were local I would let you borrow it, see what it does in your system.
Also I use tubes from Vintage Tube Services ( Andy) he is the best.
And there is a waiting list to get one, so you may have to wait, I waited 3 months for mine, I believe the wait list is now seven months, but it is worth it. I would go for the 2 se or 4 se if you need phono, the magic 5 b is not very popular. BTW if you don't like your Mapletree, it would be sold in less than a day here on audio circle.

You can call me if you like

Mike

-Richard-

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2007, 04:39 pm »
Hi Mike/toproun ~

You are a blessing to Audio Circle. Your writing is succinct and well thought out.
Your insights are penetrating and based on solid experience. Your suggestions are
entirely clear and vitally important. Your overview is fully fleshed out and your
information is carefully organized.

I cannot begin to tell you how deeply grateful I am for your generous sharing with me
of the information contained in your post. As Mies Van de Rohe said: god lives in the
details.

I would love to chat with you, Mike. I will PM you with my phone number.

Channel Islands amps used to have a serious problem when they did not "see" a load...
they would explode... I do not know if that problem has been addressed and corrected.
But anyone using their amps should be aware of that or at least confirm that it is no
longer a problem.

Also he has an upgrade he doesn't speak about ,  he can put in Audio Note
tantalum resistors instead of stock, I never heard this combo, but he likes it.

What a marvelous piece of information that is, Mike... thanks again.

Also I use tubes from Vintage Tube Services ( Andy) he is the best.

Kudos to you, Mike for suggesting that... I will get in touch with them very soon.

A thoroughly delightful post... ringing with honesty and information and insights.

I will write you a PM today.

-Richard-

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2007, 05:04 pm »
Hi Mike ~

I just PM'd you.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2007, 03:41 am »
Hello Richard...
 I see that Mike/topround has given you the run down on his Mapletree Ultra 4 se.
It is a good preamp. I've heard it at a number of Rave's, and I've borrowed it to try in my system. Worked well with the Sig. 30 and the Butler amp. I think it's a real bargain....great bang for the buck !!! And he's correct....even if it were not your "cup of tea"....it would sell quick. Take care.... :thumb:

Chris

-Richard-

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2007, 04:10 am »
Hi Chris ~

My god it has been a long time since we directly conversed with one another.

I believe you were kind to me back when, in letting me listen to one of Louis Chochos's
speaker iterations using either B200's or an early example of his Hemp drivers.

That was quite generous of you Chris... but then your generosity is legendary around
these parts.

Thanks for your feedback... I deeply appreciate it.

Admittedly I do not miss the eastern dimensions of Turtle Island... but I would love
to transport myself to your frequent raves for the education of a lifetime.

All the best to you, Chris.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2007, 04:24 am »
Richard....
My god it has been a long time since we directly conversed with one another.
Yes....but you were content....and enjoying the music...that is the point. 8)

I believe you were kind to me back when, in letting me listen to one of Louis Chochos's
speaker iterations using either B200's or an early example of his Hemp drivers.
Yes....the Omega A8's with the B200 speakers....a nice speaker.

Thanks for your feedback... I deeply appreciate it.
Your welcome Richard... :thumb:
You might send Berndt a PM....he owns a Mapletree preamp....and may be close by...Daly City ?

...I would love
to transport myself to your frequent raves for the education of a lifetime.
Their fun...and yes educational....and a good bunch of guys....you would enjoy it. :green:

All the best Richard....and good luck with your selection.... :wink:

Chris

Berndt

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2007, 11:16 pm »
Richard if you are in the bay area come on by, I am in Daly City.

I'll pm my phone #.
Also check out the norcal circle, I am planning a bbq/audio get together.
Bill

-Richard-

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jun 2007, 02:02 am »
Hi Berndt/Bill ~

Your offer to visit one of your audio gatherings is extremely generous of you.

Why are music lovers so nice? Could it be exposer to the music itself?

I love the Bay area... one of my favorite places in the world... I live in Ojai... perhaps
6.5 hours away. Not actually close in terms of driving distances.

Deb and I will try to find any legitimate excuse to visit San Francisco... my favorite "real"
city in the world (meaning urban is all the right places).

However we are right in the midst of doing a major interior remodeling of the 1970's
mobile home we purchased almost 3 years ago... cheaper than rent in this rather
pricey area of lovely California... like living in a Japanese village... so until we see our
way to finishing this horrendous work Deb will not take a holiday.

However, Bill, I would love to meet you... love to hear your "rig"... I am eternally curious,
the bane of this hobby I suppose... and I really do find most people who are seriously
interested in audio to be splendid friends... a phenomena to be sure.

So thanks... thanks a million times over... and I really mean it.

I will most certainly keep in touch... it would be great fun to meet and give a listen to the
results of your hard work... it really does take quite a bit of research and careful listening,
after all, to get things close to what our hearts/ears desire).

The good doctor Steven Rayle (active AC member extraordinaire!!!) has suggested that
he might send me his Magic 5B SE Triplex Line Preamplifier to try... that would be a
wonderful way to find out first hand what it can do for my current rig.

All the best to you, Bill... I hope you and your audio friends have a lovely BBQ!!!

"What's a BBQ?" Leslie Howard says that to the young and charming Bette Davis, in The
Petrified Forest.

I received your PM and will call as soon as I have a free moment.

Berndt

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2007, 04:05 pm »
Richard, thanks for your sentiments.
It is interesting to note I live in a condo, also quite blade runner~esque. I have built a sytem that fits within the boundries of my neighbors.
Dr Lloyds stuff is a no longer the little secret, if his order que is any judge...
The most notable effect this preamp has for me is it's ability to turn 100$ sources into true hi-fi sounding music.
I have been able to focus on speakers and amplification and leave a reference level source for my last purchase.
I'd be happy to host you and your wife for a weekend if you don't mind couch surfing :P
Regards, Bill

-Richard-

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2007, 02:25 am »
Hi Bill ~

Once again please let me thank you for your kindness and generosity. I am quite touched
by your offer. Thanks!!!!

I have built a system that fits within the boundaries of my neighbors.

Ah yes... Deb and I go outside fairly regularly just to listen to how our rig sounds
from outside... remarkably, even though the walls of this 1970's mobile home are paper
thin... the music remains fairly contained... and my Open Baffle speakers are only 2 or
3 feet from the front of our unit!

I suspect that there are characteristics to the way that Open Baffle speakers disperse
sound that is working in my favor here... in spite of the dipole effect.

Steven wrote me this morning to suggest that his Magic 5B SE Triplex Line Preamplifier
is on its way to me and should arrive later in the week... as you might expect I am
very excited to try it.

Good listening to you, Bill. May the audio gods shine on you eternally.