Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!

Danny Richie

Re: Best sounding full range driver speaker ever!
« Reply #100 on: 11 Nov 2012, 01:52 pm »
It's going to be hard enough to get an 8" driver to play down to 200Hz in an open baffle. I am sure it will require some gain in the 400Hz and down area to get there. A smaller driver would be even tougher.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #101 on: 11 Nov 2012, 03:41 pm »
 :duh: I should have thought about that... open baffle

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #102 on: 14 Nov 2012, 12:26 pm »
The Dayton 8" drivers should be about ready to try some measurements.   Got them running in a bit more now and then will get them mounted in the baffle.

The new combo A/D and D/A arrived and is setup for measurements. 

Will use the techniques my speaker measurement teachers have taught me and see what happens!  :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #103 on: 17 Nov 2012, 12:28 pm »
After doing some discussions with the software tool developer, from a comment in this thread, it maybe possible to just use the MS-1 Music Server as the digital crossover system for The Monolith speaker.   This does mean a sophisticated four channel USB DAC setup, but that is being worked for trials.  This will be a very good DAC system as well.  This all has to be tested, but it is in work. 

This idea would be for a PC music server only operation with a customers stereo amp and The Monolith speakers.  The 8" subs will need the new servo amps from Danny.

Is there any interest in a system like this?  If an analog input is needed, then the dedicated digital crossover system is needed. 

Please post your thoughts.

persisting1

« Reply #104 on: 17 Nov 2012, 04:18 pm »
This idea would be for a PC music server only operation with a customers stereo amp and The Monolith speakers.

This is a dumb question since it's stated, but this won't work on Macs?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #105 on: 17 Nov 2012, 05:24 pm »
The software runtime tools do not run on a MAC. 

We are working on a possible Foobar2000 interface.  It does not run on a MAC.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #106 on: 21 Nov 2012, 05:00 pm »
After doing some discussions with the software tool developer, from a comment in this thread, it maybe possible to just use the MS-1 Music Server as the digital crossover system for The Monolith speaker.   This does mean a sophisticated four channel USB DAC setup, but that is being worked for trials.  This will be a very good DAC system as well.  This all has to be tested, but it is in work. 

This idea would be for a PC music server only operation with a customers stereo amp and The Monolith speakers.  The 8" subs will need the new servo amps from Danny.

Is there any interest in a system like this?  If an analog input is needed, then the dedicated digital crossover system is needed. 

Please post your thoughts.

Anyone have any feedback on the idea?

saisunil

« Reply #107 on: 21 Nov 2012, 05:04 pm »
That should be an all digital system - no analog input - keep things simple and costs low ...

skalos

« Reply #108 on: 21 Nov 2012, 06:23 pm »
Back to previous questions.  Why the U shaped baffle instead of an H shaped baffle?  Is the U shaped baffle as good as an H shaped baffle?  Are the sides of the U shaped baffle the correct size for these woofers?

Danny Richie

« Reply #109 on: 21 Nov 2012, 07:36 pm »
Back to previous questions.  Why the U shaped baffle instead of an H shaped baffle?  Is the U shaped baffle as good as an H shaped baffle?  Are the sides of the U shaped baffle the correct size for these woofers?

For good low end output the H frame is better. In fact the U shape can't really be very deep. If it gets too deep then it gets hard to support the sides and the sides will tend to resonant.

But the number one problem with an H frame is that everyone wants to see all the drivers on one plane. I don't know how many times I have been asked if it would be okay to build a V-1 or Super-V with the drivers on one plane.

This speaker will have the look that everyone wants.

oldman45

« Reply #110 on: 21 Nov 2012, 07:59 pm »
Look who has the drivers on Black Friday Sale.

http://www.parts-express.com/term/black_friday_2012?pg=1

$94 each

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #111 on: 21 Nov 2012, 09:09 pm »
That is what I payed for each of mine from PE.  Got these a few weeks ago.

SteveRB

« Reply #112 on: 22 Nov 2012, 05:53 pm »

But the number one problem with an H frame is that everyone wants to see all the drivers on one plane. I don't know how many times I have been asked if it would be okay to build a V-1 or Super-V with the drivers on one plane.

guilty.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #113 on: 22 Nov 2012, 05:58 pm »
For good low end output the H frame is better. In fact the U shape can't really be very deep. If it gets too deep then it gets hard to support the sides and the sides will tend to resonant.

That is why they invented grill cloth.

Dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #114 on: 22 Nov 2012, 06:28 pm »
^^^^^

What he said! :)

SteveRB

« Reply #115 on: 22 Nov 2012, 11:08 pm »
Truth of the matter is: speaker that looks good will probably out sell a speaker that sounds good. Fantastic design and great photographs can sell $10k speakers everyday (jamo 909).

scorpion

« Reply #116 on: 23 Nov 2012, 01:18 pm »
By a very strange coincidence the German Klang + Ton DIY magazine presents a bassreflex speaker with the Dayton PS-220-8 in its September number.
The constructors choose the same path as I in their correction of the frequency response a BSC and a Notch filter. Contrasting my approach
they choose to put the notch in the signal path with paralleled inductor, capacitor and resistor. As I simulated my circuit I also did so with the German constructors':

First the effect of the Klang + Ton circuit as simulated:

Then the simulation of my circuit:

Please observe the difference in scale.

The Germans have worked with real units, I made my circuit from the published Specification Sheet.

And last, to please Richard, Klang + Ton did think the the Dayton speaker sound better with a Tube amp.  :)

/Erling

I constructed the correction circuit mentioned and pictured above for Richard and there is a thread over at the Open Baffle circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=107397.0
It was made only from specs and published frequency curves so it is a bit of a theoretical excersize. If someone is testing it please publish impressions.

Regarding Danny's objections I think my simulation answers his remarks. With Open Baffles there is no baffle width effect. I could recommend 'The Edge' program for simulating
baffle effects beeing it OB or box speakers. It is a freeware program downloadable here: http://www.tolvan.com/index.php?page=/edge/edge.php , certainly very useful in all design processes.

/Erling
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2012, 06:33 pm by scorpion »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #117 on: 23 Nov 2012, 01:53 pm »
Parts are arriving today to build the master clock splitter and drive circuit to drive two DAC's simultaneously.  Will be breadboarding it after a trip to the Post Office.

The baffles are in the work room and hope to install drivers today.  After that some measurements to see what the driver response looks like.

jparkhur

« Reply #118 on: 28 Nov 2012, 02:13 am »

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #119 on: 28 Nov 2012, 02:26 am »
Jon,
Looking good!

I started installing drivers this evening.   Should be done by this weekend.