Wyred4Sound Amps

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
Re: Wyred4Sound Amps
« Reply #60 on: 24 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm »
Pete
Not to derail the thread, but what is your new power conditioner?
Mark

Big Red Machine

« Reply #61 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:26 am »
At first I thought it was gone, but then I still saw it in your pictures, so I'm confused.... so this Wyred4Sound really blow the Passlab out of the water huh?? aa

Long gone!  WHere have you been.

I own 5 of them now if that says anything.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #62 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:28 am »
Pete
Not to derail the thread, but what is your new power conditioner?
Mark

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=57939.0

ratso

« Reply #63 on: 25 Oct 2008, 01:52 am »
hope you like them BRM. i am also a fan, switching to a pair of the W4S stereo amps (less boxes) and going to switch my speakers to emerald physics CS2's.

dweekie

« Reply #64 on: 25 Oct 2008, 03:46 am »
nothing to add, couldn't find the delete button  :duh:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #65 on: 25 Oct 2008, 08:03 am »
nothing to add, couldn't find the delete button  :duh:

Does this statement add value?

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #66 on: 25 Oct 2008, 12:33 pm »
I recently moved from Thiel CS1.6s driven by a Pass Labs X-250 to the Emerald Physics CS-2s with Wyred4Sound (ST-250 for the HF and ST-1000 for the LF).

All I can say is WOW!!

I used the Pass for LF duty while waiting for the ST-1000.  The W4S units are fantastic in my opinion, outperform the Pass.  They seem quicker and more detailed with plenty of dynamics.  And I don't have to run my A/C just to cool the room!!

Suffice it to say, I'll be posting my Pass for sale (along with my Thiels).

:D

TomS

« Reply #67 on: 25 Oct 2008, 02:49 pm »
Is the ST1000 pretty much the same amps as mono SX1000's, other than two boxes, power cords etc for the SX?

Nuance

« Reply #68 on: 25 Oct 2008, 02:54 pm »
I recently moved from Thiel CS1.6s driven by a Pass Labs X-250 to the Emerald Physics CS-2s with Wyred4Sound (ST-250 for the HF and ST-1000 for the LF).

All I can say is WOW!!

I used the Pass for LF duty while waiting for the ST-1000.  The W4S units are fantastic in my opinion, outperform the Pass.  They seem quicker and more detailed with plenty of dynamics.  And I don't have to run my A/C just to cool the room!!

I think I already know the question based on what you've said, but how do you like those Emerald Physics speakers?  I haven't read one bad impression of them yet.

mr_bill

« Reply #69 on: 25 Oct 2008, 05:43 pm »
BRM,
I see your new power box in the thread above - did you decide against using the Audience aR1p conditioners and just go with upgraded power cords?  You have a really nice system.
Thanks,
Bill

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #70 on: 25 Oct 2008, 06:49 pm »

All I can say is WOW!!

I think I already know the question based on what you've said, but how do you like those Emerald Physics speakers?  I haven't read one bad impression of them yet.

I purchased the CS2s based solely on the reviews and after several conversations with Walter Liederman.  I think they're fantastic. . .the reviews don't lie.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #71 on: 25 Oct 2008, 10:18 pm »
BRM,
I see your new power box in the thread above - did you decide against using the Audience aR1p conditioners and just go with upgraded power cords?  You have a really nice system.
Thanks,
Bill

Every time I try power conditioning, it seems to degrade the sound or not help any so I pull out the gizmos and find it to my liking.  So now I use the box and eventually I'll build myself more ribbon power cables.

Wait till you see my new Purity preamp being built!

mca

« Reply #72 on: 28 Oct 2008, 05:47 pm »

Philistine

« Reply #73 on: 3 Jan 2009, 08:23 pm »
I firmly believe that HT3's require quality and quantity watts in order to excel, and considered that this was only available at a price.  One of my local retailers told me that customers wanting to improve the performance of their system came into the store with the opening line 'I want to buy better speakers'.  He would do a house call and invariably sell them a new source and new amps, nothing wrong with the speakers.

With the advent of the Wyred4Sound amps, and BRM being enthusiastic about them, they clearly represent a great opportunity of driving a quality speaker with quality/quantity watts at a low cost.

Having talked to Jim recently it got me thinking again:
Is it better to use 2 x 500 watts (monoblocs or 2 channel), or a multichannel W4S with 2x500 watts and 2xX?.  In the later option the 500 watt amp driving the woofers and X being either 125 or 250 watts.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jan 2009, 09:04 pm »
I forgot what it was, but the monoamps have a slight advantage over the stereo amps.  EJ posted it once in their AVS thread.  It is minor, but enough that us audiophools would prefer that config.  I see no issue in biamping, but I have to tell you the SX1000's are all you need to drive the HT3's.  I can try the bi amping thing after my GTG as I have 3 sets of outputs on my preamp; 2 high and 1 low.  And some of those attenuating Rothwell connectors if need be.  I believe the monos are actually closer to 600 watts output.  The website has never really been updated.

BTW, Rick says their new preamp will be pretty special with his custom designed no noise volume control.  But no tubes to roll in that!  I still may give it a whirl.

If I did get a multichannel amp I would break each channel in on a full range connection for the 300 hours so that each was fully ready to go into battle.  Certainly the upper ranges will not work very hard as the demand is much lower, but breaking it in that way could take forever and perhaps turn someone off if the bass cleaned up and the top end didn't.  I know Dennis has a hard time with this breakin idea, but the sound most definitely changed for the better after the first 20 hours and then slightly more after that.  I think it is the dielectric breakin more than anything of the components.

rydenfan

« Reply #75 on: 3 Jan 2009, 10:13 pm »
I am assuming you are still running the Wyred monos on your HT3's?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #76 on: 3 Jan 2009, 10:24 pm »

Never sounded better.  I own 7 of their amps now.  Five of them are in the theater.

rydenfan

« Reply #77 on: 3 Jan 2009, 10:46 pm »

Never sounded better.  I own 7 of their amps now.  Five of them are in the theater.

Wow, that is quite a statement  :thumb: I cannot remember so forgive me if it has been asked and answered before, did you try other Class D amps on the HT3's? if so, how do these differ?

mr_bill

« Reply #78 on: 4 Jan 2009, 12:27 am »

Bigred
Did you replace the Pass Labs amp you had with a Wyred4Sound?
Which Pass Labs stereo amp did you have?  The Wyred is better?
Thanks.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #79 on: 4 Jan 2009, 04:49 am »

Wow, that is quite a statement  :thumb: I cannot remember so forgive me if it has been asked and answered before, did you try other Class D amps on the HT3's? if so, how do these differ?

PS AUdio and Rowland.  Both had limitations in reproducing certain frequencies and were disappointing.  Rowland had no bass but great midrange and the PSA were shrill and wimpy at the same time.