Salk Ellis 1801 Monitors

timjthomas

Salk Ellis 1801 Monitors
« on: 23 Mar 2009, 09:54 pm »
I've yet to see any impressions on these monitors on the Salk board.  Anyone out there own or demo them?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Salk Ellis 1801 Monitors
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2009, 10:25 pm »
Tim:

There is a lot of information on the Ellis board.  I communicated with Dave Ellis several times when I was looking for new speakers, prior to ordering my first pair of Salk Sound.  Dave was working on an 1801C version, but I don't know if the kit is available yet.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=28

timjthomas

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:01 am »
Yep - read the Ellis board.  Just wondered if there were any purchases from Jim and the comments/comparisons to his speakers.

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:03 am »
I have heard the Ellis 1801 in a nearfield and large room setting. They were driven by Hybrid and once with a 50 watt channel Integrated.

They have a very serious midrange placement with the right gear that is eerie good.Very much in the same vane as the Salk products in build,and finish with the quality crossover.
Nice speaker.
Good Luck

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2009, 12:58 am »
Hi   Since the HT1 and 1801 are both my designs,  the basic sound is very similar.   The low pass filters are identical.  It really comes down to the difference between the sonic signature of the G2 ribbon vs. the 0W1 dome. 

Art_Chicago

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2009, 01:04 am »
I think BrianM (AVA-Salk circles) has these speakers, and, man, he can write nice reviews!  :thumb:
Out of my curiosity, are you planning on getting a pair? HT1 are pretty good, too!

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2009, 02:46 am »
Here's a little background on my experience with the 1801's.  When I began building speakers, I contacted Dave Ellis because I heard very good things about his 1801's.  After building a pair, I was very impressed.  I've been building them ever since. 

About a year later, I built a speaker using the G2 ribbon.  I didn't care all that much for that particular design, but I loved the tweeter.

Since Dennis had designed the crossover for the 1801, I asked him what he thought of the potential combination of the W18 (used in the 1801's) and the G2 ribbon tweeter.  That idea became the Veracity HT1's and was the first design we developed together.  It was such an enjoyable experience, we just kept on designing model after model.

In a very real sense, I would not be building speakers today if it were not for the 1801's.  To this day, we still have a great working relationship with Dave and still build that design for customers.   

You will note that the SongTowers, like the 1801's, use Hiquphon tweeters.  The fact is, Dave Ellis supplies all the tweeters for these speakers.

I am very happy to have enjoyed great relationships with both Dennis and Dave over the years.  We all seem to have similar goals where great sound is concerned.

And so it goes...

- Jim

BrianM

« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2009, 01:24 pm »
I think BrianM (AVA-Salk circles) has these speakers, and, man, he can write nice reviews!  :thumb:
Out of my curiosity, are you planning on getting a pair? HT1 are pretty good, too!

Cheers, Art.

Jim built my 1801s a couple years ago and did his usual fantastic job:

Both he and Dave are all you could ask for from an audio designer & vendor. The speakers are terrific; they only keep improving with each additional equipment and room improvement I've made. I've got 'em dialed in pretty well now and they don't leave me wanting. Stellar midrange, clear top, plenty of bass (-10dB @ 32Hz).

Oh- and credit to Dennis Murphy, whom I've never spoken to (except through the forums) but who did an immaculate job on the crossover, as all Salk owners will be aware.

fsimms

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2009, 03:10 pm »
Hi   Since the HT1 and 1801 are both my designs,  the basic sound is very similar.   The low pass filters are identical.  It really comes down to the difference between the sonic signature of the G2 ribbon vs. the 0W1 dome.

Dennis, the new Ellis 1801C has a different midrange.  How did that affect the sound?

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2009, 04:54 pm »
The Accuton midwoofer that Dave is using measures almost identically to the W18.  He played both versions for us at the Iowa DIY last year, and no one I talked to could hear any signficant difference, except maybe in the deepest bass.  Maybe.  I'm not sure that was the final version, so I can't say for sure how they compare.