SoundScape M7 Monitor Question

Bigload

SoundScape M7 Monitor Question
« on: 28 Oct 2012, 07:09 pm »

I am ordering these for sure.  Just curious about needing a sub for 2 channel music duty.  Appreciate your experience and comments in this regard.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 30 Oct 2012, 01:18 am by Bigload »

ricardojoa

Re: SoundScape M7 Monitor Question
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:03 am »
I dont have the m7, so i wont be able to give you a comment. But wether it will require a sub or not, that also depends on how much low end you crave.
One of the good thing about sub is that you can EQ the bass and having a better ideal placement.
I always like it with the sub listening music, the bass is just simply tighter (rythmik), but also require processing for adjusting distance.
Another thing about the m7 is that i while ago i contacted Jim and inquiring wether it can be built with an open back and he said yes.

Nuance

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2012, 12:34 pm »
How big is your room, Bigload?  I think it will really come down to that and how much low end and slam you crave.

Bigload

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2012, 04:44 pm »
The room is not huge....16X16, but it has a tall ceiling and opens to a balcony that overlooks it.  And since this will be just be for music, most of which is classical and some jazz, I am hoping to make it without a sub here.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2012, 05:44 pm »
If bass is important to you, why not the HT2-TL?

paul canady

« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2012, 07:15 pm »
I dont have the m7, so i wont be able to give you a comment. But wether it will require a sub or not, that also depends on how much low end you crave.
One of the good thing about sub is that you can EQ the bass and having a better ideal placement.
I always like it with the sub listening music, the bass is just simply tighter (rythmik), but also require processing for adjusting distance.
Another thing about the m7 is that i while ago i contacted Jim and inquiring wether it can be built with an open back and he said yes.

Which Salk speakers do you own?

ricardojoa

« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:25 pm »
Which Salk speakers do you own?

Standarrd dome Song Towers

Nuance

« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2012, 08:33 pm »
If bass is important to you, why not the HT2-TL?

Superior midrange of the Accuton driver?

saisunil

« Reply #8 on: 30 Oct 2012, 09:22 pm »
I am guessing that those monitors would be more than enough for your 16 x 16 room ...
In your situation ... I would get the monitors and treat the rooms properly - corners and first reflection points and bring the monitors out into the room as much as you can and then see if you miss any bottom end ...

My guess would be that monitors would be perfect for this room size - why? Cause I have monitors in my 18x18 and I do not miss bass ... of course down the road I will get full range  :duh: :thumb:

Nuance

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2012, 12:37 pm »
Try it without the sub first.  Experiment with placement (speakers and listening position), and if you're wanting more low end get a sub.

Bigload

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2012, 11:45 pm »
That makes good sense and will be what I do. 

I am just curious if folks would say, wow they really play nice on the low end, or say you really need a sub with these monitors.  I know it is subjective.  I know it depends on room size and treatments.  I know it depends on expectations, etc.  But I am still curious as to the thoughts of those that have listened to these speakers. 

This will be my 5th set of Salk speakers plus a center channel.  I have been thrilled with each set and no doubt will be again.  Nevertheless, just curious about low end capability on the M7's.

Thanks.

Nuance

« Reply #11 on: 1 Nov 2012, 02:17 pm »
This will be my 5th set of Salk speakers plus a center channel.  I have been thrilled with each set and no doubt will be again.  Nevertheless, just curious about low end capability on the M7's.

Thanks.

I'm jealous. :D

Bigload

« Reply #12 on: 2 Nov 2012, 12:21 am »
OK.  I'm an anxiously waiting Salk customer again.  I got my order finalized with Jim today.  Spalted bee's wing makore M7's with brown stain.  That wood looks fabulous to me in the pics I've seen.  It was HARD to pick a veneer, but I am sure I will like this. 

Let the wait begin. 

Austin08

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:17 am »
Congratulation, this is one of my favorite veneer.

ricardojoa

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:27 am »
To BigLoad, have you thought about building it with open back like the big brothers? You get the option of open and sealed back.

Bigload

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2012, 02:44 am »
Open back or rear ported not a good option for me due to room config. 

ricardojoa

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2012, 03:13 am »
I see.
Does anyone know whats the minimum required from wall with the open back design? I really want to try the open back desing with the sealed back options. But also due to wall retrictions, im afraid a closed back may be better. How much compromise would an open back with the sealed option have over a proper sealed version?

Nuance

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2012, 12:30 pm »
I see.
Does anyone know whats the minimum required from wall with the open back design? I really want to try the open back desing with the sealed back options. But also due to wall retrictions, im afraid a closed back may be better. How much compromise would an open back with the sealed option have over a proper sealed version?

A design with an open back seems to benefit from 4+ feet from the back wall, and also a good amount of space from the side walls (3+ feet).  That's just my opinion, of course, but I feel they sound better when given more space.  What you'll lose with the open-back design (and this is also room dependent) is a little bit of focus.  You'll still hear all the details, but they won't be quite as easy to pick out; you'll gain a crazy sized soundstage (width and depth), though, so it really depends on which sound you're looking for.  My favorite part about the open-back design is that you can tweak it to mesh well with your room by adding whatever amount of poly-fill you like.  Or you can just run the chambers closed for a more up close and personal sound.  Win win.

I do believe that the room really will dictate whether the design is beneficial or not, though.

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 2 Nov 2012, 07:00 pm »
Congrats!

Since the M7's have the same low end stats as your ST's (-/+3 db @ 42), it'll be interesting to read what you think about the differences between the two.

Bigload

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2012, 10:06 pm »
I will be glad to share my observations when the time comes. 
Thanks.