Question regarding mounting of CDWG - distance from face of speaker?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
How far do your CDWG grilles sit in front of the speakers (ie, what's the gap between the speaker face and grille)?

Mine are just shy of 1/4 inch (7/32 to be exact). This is close enough that the foam on the back of the grille just makes contact with the face of the midrange unit, but is not compressed at all.

Reason I ask - I recently purchased a pair of second-hand 626r which came with CDWG grilles, but the grilles were missing the guides (posts) on the back. I picked up some new "heavy-duty guides" from Parts Express, but they don't seem to push all the way into the mounting holes... the flange on the base of the guides sit slightly proud of the grille surface (about an 1/8 inch).  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-367

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is normal or if I should pull the grille guides out and trim them shorter so they sit flush (a tedious proposition). This of course would cause the CDWG to sit closer to the speaker face.

Thanks.

John Casler

The foam needs to be "in contact", but Brian can better answer this post regarding the grill posts.

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
Found the answer to my own question... forgot I had a couple of the original grille posts and compared those to the new ones from Parts Express. Yep, they originals were cut down a bit to sit flush with the grille surface. Went back and did the same to all the posts and now have the CDWGs properly installed.