RM40 crossovers

TRE

RM40 crossovers
« on: 26 Jan 2020, 03:26 am »
Do any of you recommend a company that can build replacement crossovers for my VMPS RM40s? They are from the early 90s from what I was told so I am thinking it may be time? Or is this a project that someone like myself with very limited electronics experience could tackle? Where is the best place to buy quality parts if it is a do it yourself project?

Stimpy

Re: RM40 crossovers k
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2020, 04:59 am »
Do any of you recommend a company that can build replacement crossovers for my VMPS RM40s? They are from the early 90s from what I was told so I am thinking it may be time? Or is this a project that someone like myself with very limited electronics experience could tackle? Where is the best place to buy quality parts if it is a do it yourself project?

I'm curious as to why you feel the crossovers would need rebuilding?  Are you hearing issues?

Also, from the VMPS crossovers I've seen, they were built using poly film capacitors.  Poly capacitors do not degrade, due to age, like electrolytic caps.  So, poly capacitors do not typically need to be replaced. 

That being said, not all caps are created equal.  Different brands of capacitors do sound better than others.  But, boutique caps can get very expensive.  Upper end Mundorf, Duelund, Rike, TRT, and Miflex can cost hundreds of dollars per capacitor.  But, if interested, Parts Express, Parts Connexion, Madisound, and Sonic Craft sell very good brands of capacitors.

Maybe read this too.  Many good capacitor reviews.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Good luck.

Stimpy

Re: RM40 crossovers
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2020, 05:05 am »
This AC thread has a good cap discussion too.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=54218.0

Oh, replacing capacitors isn't difficult, if you know how to solder.  But, some VMPS speakers use a crossover board, and some mount the various components near each driver.  You might have to pop a woofer on your 40s, to see if you can spot the crossovers, and if the prospect of rebuilding it, makes you nervous or not?   :duh:

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2020, 01:20 pm »
Contact Danny at GR Research. He's an expert in designing and rebuilding crossovers and likely has prior experience with the RM40.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2020, 01:43 pm »

You will hear a difference by changing capacitors. Mundorf Supreme or better will have a huge impact. You'll unlock the full potential of the drivers.

That said, the crossover topology can be improved as well. Danny is the man for that. He knows VMPS products and is a bit of a wiz. If you love your speakers and want to keep them - put some money into them. Call Danny.

TRE

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2020, 12:19 am »
Thanks for all the replies. They are not doing anything odd or making strange noise but all of us involved in this hobby are probably guilty of wondering what we are not hearing that maybe we could with some changes :) Thanks for the referral, I will at least talk to him. Thanks for the links to articles as well.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2020, 12:25 am »
Thanks for all the replies. They are not doing anything odd or making strange noise but all of us involved in this hobby are probably guilty of wondering what we are not hearing that maybe we could with some changes :) Thanks for the referral, I will at least talk to him. Thanks for the links to articles as well.

You will undoubtedly achieve excellent results by upgrading the RM40 crossover. Just depends on how much money you're willing to spend. You can get a newly designed crossover with boutique parts (best option), or you can replace some or all of the caps yourself, or anything in between.